HBO said the Emmy-winning “Vice” series on the premium cable channel will continue for at least two more seasons, with its status unaffected by the $500 million investments in Vice Media from A+E Networks and Technology Crossover Ventures.
The funding, announced Thursday, “has no impact on the series,” an HBO rep said.
In May, HBO announced the renewal of gritty docu-series “Vice” for two more seasons. Season 3 is slated to bow in 2015 with 14 episodes, followed by season 4 in 2016. The 14-episode order is an increase from the previous 12-episode seasons.
HBO parent Time Warner had been in talks about taking a significant stake in Vice Media, floating the prospect of converting the HLN news cabler to a Vice-led channel, but those ultimately faltered.
Vice announced that A+E and Silicon Vally venture fund TCV had each invested $250 million in the company, representing 10% equity stakes. The funding values Vice at more than $2.5 billion. Another big-media backer is 21st Century Fox, which paid $70 million for a 5% stake last summer.
“Vice” on HBO won a 2014 Creative Arts Emmy Award in the “outstanding informational series or special” category. In announcing the renewal this spring, HBO president of programming Michael Lombardo said the show’s “smart, honest, in-depth approach to news coverage is a perfect complement to HBO’s programming.”