Watch: Elsa From ‘Frozen’ Comes to ‘Once Upon a Time’

Frozen” won’t be letting go of its pop culture dominance any time soon.

After scoring one box office and soundtrack sales milestone after another, the Disney hit is about to conquer another frontier — TV. Sunday night’s two-hour season finale of the ABC drama “Once Upon a Time” revealed that Emma Swan accidently brought more than one person back from the past. “Frozen’s” Elsa will be coming to Storybrooke.

ABC confirmed the addition of the latest princess on Twitter as audiences were only given a peek of the character from behind.

Series creators Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis told TVLine that it was hard for them to to get the rights to the character as a Disney exec didn’t exactly call them with an offer.

“We fell in love with the movie ‘Frozen’ when we saw it,” Horowitz told TVLine. “It is something that ever since we saw it would gnaw at us, ‘Is there a way to fit it into our world?’ And we cooked up a way to do it. We pitched the studio and the network, and they were kind enough to say, ‘Go do it.'”

Although “Frozen” was inspired by the Hans Christian Andersen tale “The Snow Queen,” the movie is not an adaptation by any means. So Elsa’s addition to the cast of established Disney characters marks an unprecedented turnaround.

“The thing we love about Elsa is she is a character that is perceived to be a villain but is clearly misunderstood, and that goes to the heart of our show,” Kitsis told the site.

The show creators also hinted that Elsa has crossed paths with Rumple. They will begin the process of casting the character in two weeks.

1. Chelsea says:

Why not stick with the original characters of Walt Disney like the show has been doing, or bring in the trill characters like nightmare before Christmas or hunchback of Notre Dame characters.

2. Yellow Devil says:

What the…is she now the next generation model of the T-1000 now?

3. Willa says:

I honestly LOVED frozen, but Elsa is not a character in a fairy tale. Elsa is a character in a movie. Unless they call this character by original title given to her by Hans Christian Anderson, I don’t understand how they think it’s going to work.

4. I have never seen this TV show due to the fact that where I live, TV reception stinks and you either need Satellite or Cable to watch TV and I can not afford either one. BUT! My Doctor’s Nurse put me wise to this one coming up because she and her 6 year old daughter love this program AND they love “Frozen” like I do. I can ask a friend if I may come to her house to see this episode of “Once.”

BUT! I need to know what Sunday it will be showing or has it already been broadcast? If it has already been broadcast, will there be an encore showing of this episode? Also! Will “Anna” be involved as well?

• acurat says:

It showed in the USA tis past Sunday, May 11, in the final epsiode of the season – only the last minute as shown here. There is nothing else on Ella from Frozen this episode – it will take place next year when the part is cast an they have an actor for the role.

• “acurat,” thank you for the information. All I can say to that is, OH NUTS! I just love the Disney movie “Frozen” and when I was told about this one and saw the clip, I was about ready to come un-glued at the prospect of seeing Elsa in live action and on the TV rather then just in the movies!

I am going to find it rather hard to hang in there till this fall before I can watch it! I wonder if this is going to be a recurring part and also wonder if Anna will be joining her sister Elsa as a team or will they be going toe to toe against each other?

5. anne says:

Kristen Bell love her!!

6. Andy says:

Sarah Michelle Gellar is free now.

7. PhilG says:

So… will Kristen Bell be reprising Anna, as she has said she’d like to..? Surely they won’t bring one sister in without the other…