×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Cosby Attorney Says Accuser Tried to Extort Money Before Filing Suit

Bill Cosby’s attorney contends that a woman and her attorney engaged in an extortion attempt before filing suit earlier this week, claiming that the entertainer molested her when she was 15 years old.

In a filing in Los Angeles Superior Court on Thursday, Cosby’s attorney Martin Singer said that Judy Huth’s allegations of sexual assault in 1974 are “meritless and unsupported,” and that the lawsuit was filed after Cosby rejected her and her attorney’s demand for payment.

Singer’s claim is made in a notice of demurrer. He also is seeking sanctions against Huth and her attorney, Marc Strecker.

“Plaintiff Judy Huth filed a meritless and unsupported 40-year-old claim against Bill Cosby alleging decades-old sexual abuse immediately after Mr. Cosby rejected plaintiff’s outrageous demand for money in order not to make her allegations public,” Singer wrote in the filing. “Recognizing that they committed extortion and could face significant consequences for their conduct, plaintiff’s counsel Marc Strecker rushed to the courthouse to file this lawsuit on behalf of his client.”

Singer contends that Huth failed to file Certificates of Merit executed by her attorney as well as a licensed mental health practitioner “attesting to the meritorious nature of the allegations.” He also said that they violated California statute by naming Cosby as a defendant without first obtaining court permission. Cosby’s attorney contends that Huth is required to do so in a claim that is barred by the statute of limitations.

Huth, now 55, alleges in her lawsuit filed Tuesday in Los Angeles that Cosby assaulted her at the Playboy Mansion in 1974 after having met him on a movie set.

According to the suit, Huth and a friend (age 16 at the time) accepted Cosby’s invitation to meet him at a tennis club a week later, where he insisted that they consume alcoholic beverages every time he won a game of pool. He then allegedly took the girls to the Playboy Mansion, where Cosby “proceeded to sexually molest [Huth] by attempting to put his hand down her pants, then taking her hand in his hand and performing a sex act on himself without her consent.”

Huth is suing Cosby for “severe and extreme emotional distress” and is seeking punitive damages.

“Under California law, the only way that an alleged victim of childhood sexual abuse would be able to assert an otherwise time-barred claim is to allege that the psychological injury or illness had been repressed and was only discovered within the last three years,” Singer said in his motion. “Without providing any specific allegations, or the mandated certification from a mental health professional to support her claim, plaintiff alleges that she discovered her psychological injuries and illness ‘within the three years prior to the filing of the complaint.’ Conspicuously absent from her complaint, however, is the fact, confirmed by plaintiff’s counsel, that plaintiff unsuccessfully tried to sell her story to the tabloids nearly a decade ago.”

In his motion for sanctions, Singer wrote that there was no factual basis for the claim. “Through her lawyer, plaintiff made extortionate threats to Mr. Cosby (through his counsel) about criminal penalties, coupled with ever increasing demands for a six-figure payday to keep quiet about her long since expired claims.” Singer wrote the amount of her demands increased in amount from $100,000 to $250,000.

Strecker did not immediately return a request for comment.

More than a dozen women have accused Cosby of sexual assault, and many of the allegations are for incidents that occurred a decade or more ago.

On Thursday, speaking to reporters, Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said that the department would investigate accusations brought to them, but he said that so far none have. He indicated that they would conduct an investigation regardless of whether the incidents occurred beyond the statute of limitations.

“We don’t turn people away because things are out of statute,” the chief said, according to City News Service. “You come to us, especially with a sexual allegation, we will work with you.”

 

 

More TV

  • Another Drama Series About Austrian Empress

    Another Period Drama Series About Austrian Empress Sisi Is in the Works

    Another TV head-to-head is brewing with the announcement of a second period drama series about Austrian Empress Elisabeth II – known as Sisi – in the works. Germany’s Story House Pictures and Austria-based Satel Film, which made Netflix’s “Freud,” are collaborating on “Sisi,” a six-part drama that goes into production in 2020. News of the project [...]

  • Disney Plus Launches; Two Episodes of

    Two Episodes of 'The Mandalorian,' Other Originals to Drop This Week as Disney Plus Goes Live

    New episodes of Disney Plus original series dropped Tuesday as the streaming service went live in three countries, with second installments of “Star Wars” spinoff “The Mandalorian” and other shows set to become available just a few days later. Disney’s new direct-to-consumer service launched Tuesday in the U.S., Canada and the Netherlands, with company chief [...]

  • Carolyn McCall

    ITV Revenues Dip in ‘Uncertain Environment,’ but Content Sales Rise

    ITV revenues were down by 2% in the first nine months of 2019. CEO Carolyn McCall, who has set a strategy refresh in motion, said the U.K.-based broadcaster’s performance was in line with its expectations, adding that, “although the economic environment continues to be uncertain, we are making good progress in executing our strategy.” Total [...]

  • DANCING WITH THE STARS - "Boy

    Sean Spicer Voted Off 'Dancing With the Stars'

    Sean Spicer will no longer appear on America’s television sets every Monday evening, at least as part of “Dancing With the Stars.” The former White House press secretary was voted off “DWTS” Monday night despite President Donald Trump’s earlier tweet urging the American people to vote for Spicer on ABC’s dancing competition show. The tweet [...]

  • US game show host Alex Trebek

    Alex Trebek Gets Emotional on 'Jeopardy!' After Contestant's Heartfelt Message

    Alex Trebek appeared to tear up on Monday’s episode of “Jeopardy!” after a contestant used his response to a prompt to convey the message “We love you, Alex.” As his answer to one of Monday’s questions, Tournament of Champions semifinalist Dhruv Gaur penned the message with a heart in place of the word “love,” betting [...]

  • Seinfeld

    Alan Horn Remembers How Rick Ludwin Saved 'Seinfeld'

    Rick Ludwin was the unsung hero of “Seinfeld.” That’s how Alan Horn, Walt Disney Studios chairman and former head of “Seinfeld” producer Castle Rock Entertainment, remembered the longtime NBC executive who died Nov. 10 at the age of 71. Ludwin was instrumental in getting the beloved “show about nothing” on to NBC as a regular [...]

  • Kristen Bell Pandas

    Why Kristen Bell Is 'Excited' About Returning as Narrator for HBO Max's 'Gossip Girl' Reboot

    Kristen Bell received an email a couple of months ago from “Gossip Girl” co-creators Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage. “They just said, ‘We’ve got really good news. It’s looking like we’re going to do another version of ‘Gossip Girl’ and we would for you to return,’” Bell told Variety while promoting “Frozen II.” “I was [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content