×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

‘The Arsenio Hall Show’ Canceled After One Season

The Arsenio Hall Show” has stopped production, marking an abrupt end to the host’s efforts to restart his latenight franchise in syndication.

CBS Television Distribution had said that the show would return for a second season, but the latenight strip was facing significant downgrades from stations and the Eye determined that the show would not be financially viable. The show was in reruns this week and will not resume production. The show’s last original seg was May 21.

SEE ALSO: Arsenio Hall: CBS, Tribune Bet on Host for Latenight Syndie Show

CBS said in a statement: “Unfortunately, ‘The Arsenio Hall Show’ will not return for a second season; while there are many loyal fans of the show, the series did not grow its audience enough to continue. Arsenio is a tremendous talent and we’d like to thank him for all the hard work and energy he put into the show. We’d also like to thank Tribune and all our station group partners for their support of the show.”

Hall had sought to rekindle the success he had in the late 1980s and early ’90s with his syndie yakker. The revived show, a joint production of CBS and Tribune, started out with promise last September but could not maintain its early momentum and struggled with guest bookings. Original showrunner Neal Kendall was axed after one month into the show’s run and a permanent replacement was never set.

Hall and his manager/exec producer John Ferriter were in the process of recruiting a new showrunner team, new writers and making other changes for season two. But with station groups including the powerful Sinclair Broadcast Group threatening to downgrade the show’s time slot to well after midnight, CBS couldn’t justify the risk in spending money on a revamp.

Hall was away from Los Angeles Friday on a planned vacation and not available for comment. Ferriter emphasized that the host put all of his energies into delivering the best possible show. The struggle with bookings was perplexing to the “Arsenio Hall” team given that Hall’s ratings were often comparable to cable latenight shows such as TBS’ “Conan.”

“I’m really proud of our show, I’m proud of Arsenio and I’m proud that he got back on the air to do what he does so well,” Ferriter said. “My one regret was that we had many, many celebrities who told us they wanted to do the show but we couldn’t get their reps to book them.”

The return of Hall was part of an unprecedented shakeup in the latenight TV lineup during the past two years. At the time plans for Hall’s return were first announced in June 2012, ABC’s “Jimmy Kimmel Live” was still airing at midnight and Jay Leno was still firmly in control of “The Tonight Show.” Back in his heyday, Hall was a hip, urban-friendly alternative to Johnny Carson; this time around, he was one of many alternatives in latenight — though he was often competitive in the demo with other latenight shows.

“Arsenio Hall” staffers were floored by the news of the shutdown that was announced Friday afternoon at the show’s offices on the Sunset Bronson studio lot that is home to Tribune’s KTLA, which carried the show in L.A.

The news came as a shock because CBS and Tribune had previously committed to a second year of the show. Leno even made a special visit to the show to announce the season two pickup, his first TV appearance after exiting “The Tonight Show” in February.

In a statement, Hall said: “When I started this adventure with CTD and Tribune, we all knew it would be a challenge – I’m gratified for the year we’ve had and proud of the show we created. I’d like to thank everyone on my staff for rallying around me and striving to make the best show possible every night.”

More TV

  • Content-is-King

    Top TV Execs Tackle New Distribution Landscape in Rome

    ROME – In an increasingly complex TV market, with a host of new big-ticket streaming services preparing to enter an already crowded arena, both buyers and sellers are rethinking some of the fundamentals of the TV business as they grapple with the best way to reach global audiences. A host of top producers, network executives, [...]

  • MIA-MARKET-2019_Europe-Producers-Club_4

    European Producers and Broadcasters Debate How to Weather Streaming Storm

    ROME – The impending rollout of Disney Plus, HBO Max, and other new streaming services promises a new era of uncertainty—and opportunity—for broadcasters and producers in an industry already disrupted by the likes of Netflix and Amazon. At a panel hosted by the European Producers Club Friday afternoon during the MIA market in Rome, executives [...]

  • Kevin-Beggs

    Lionsgate TV Chairman Kevin Beggs on Streamers and TV’s ‘Platinum Era’

    ROME – Over the course of two decades in the industry, Lionsgate Television chairman Kevin Beggs has witnessed the ups and downs of a business that has frequently found itself confronting both dizzying new possibilities as well as existential threats. But these days the veteran exec, who oversees the development of all scripted and non-scripted content [...]

  • MAKING IT -- Season: 1 --

    TV News Roundup: NBC Announces 'Making It' Season 2 Premiere Date

    In today’s TV news roundup, NBC announced the “Making It” Season 2 premiere date and HBO Max greenlit a new docuseries from Brad Goreski and Gary Janetti. DATES Hosts Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman will return with the second season of “Making It” on NBC Dec. 2. After the show’s holiday season premiere, the show [...]

  • Luis Fonsi Erika Ender Latin Grammys

    The Second Latin Explosion: How 'Despacito' Ushered in a New Generation of Stars

    Music is an ever-evolving art, and for the Latin Recording Academy, that’s meant riding multiple waves of attention. The most recent arrived with the stratospheric success of “Despacito,” which kicked off a second Latin Explosion with full force in 2017. The Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee hit, later featuring verses by Justin Bieber, made Latin [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content