‘Breaking Bad’ Return: Bryan Cranston Says ‘Never Say Never’

'Breaking Bad' Return: Bryan Cranston Says
Courtesy of AMC

Variety cover star Bryan Cranston has only just completed his acclaimed five-season run on AMC’s “Breaking Bad,” but fans still haven’t given up hope that we might see a return for his character, Walter White, somewhere down the line.

In a recent interview with CNN’s Ashleigh Banfield, Cranston addressed the possibility that Walter might not be as dead as he seemed in the finale, teasingly telling the anchor, “You never saw a bag zip up or anything …”

When Banfield asked whether Walter was definitively dead, he coyly responded, “I don’t know,” and when pressed about a potential return to the character in a movie or some other medium, Cranston offered, “Never say never, let’s just say that.”

While Cranston might’ve been attempting to let fans down gently, there is a legitimate way for Walter White to return to our screens without cheating death; AMC is currently developing a spinoff to “Breaking Bad” — “Better Call Saul,” a prequel that will be set before the events of the hit drama. Though the series will center around the less-than-savory activities of Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk), lawyer to Albuquerque’s criminal underworld, its prequel status means that returns for Cranston and “Breaking Bad” co-star Aaron Paul aren’t completely out of the question.

Watch Cranston’s interview in its entirety below.

“Better Call Saul” will premiere on AMC in November 2014.

1. B MAYBETH says:

Why oh WHY can’t Gilligan make a “Breaking Bad” movie? I would literally camp overnight to see that. Forget star wars, BB is a movie i’d love to see…(haven’t been to the theatre in 4 years)

2. Bill Cowell says:

I said it the first time I watched the finally. The cop never checked Walter for a pulse. I believe Walter survived!

3. colin says:

I seriously doubt anything will come of this, but definitely nothing beyond perhaps a one-off episode with Walter White showing up on Odenkirk’s new show. Gilligan and Cranston are too smart to mess with perfection.

4. donsteely says:

Say it isn’t so! BB ended perfectly with Walt finally paying for his sins with his life. Please please please don’t ruin an almost perfect series with a soap opera style character resurrection. Let Walt rest in peace and don’t tarnish this legendary TV show.

5. corey1957 says:

As soon as breaking bad was over I waited for next week, Then season was over could hardly wait til the new season man I really hated to see it end!!! I hope Vince creates something wonderful he can do it he proved it! The actors who are good become superstars in Breaking Bad! I hope BB somehow gets on again

6. Kinsey says:

A great story is supposed to leave you wanting more but at the same time, be satisfying. Breaking Bad did that in strides. Before BB, I didn’t really watch prime time television (like at all) but once it started I watched it religiously. I even went and brought the entire series when it was available without a seconds thought and that is something I’ve never done before. I haven’t even brought any seasons of Game of Thrones. I hate how now a days people are milking great characters and stories just to make a quick buck or exploit a loyal fan base, Breaking Bad is over, done , finish, capoot, get over it. As much as I utterly loved this show I wouldn’t want its greatness to be tarnished by greedy studio executives just looking to make a dollar. There are plenty of other good shows out there now (but not as good as Breaking Bad in my opinion). Lets just see how this prequel plays out, it looks like it has potential.

• Jim Beck says:

Breaking Bad was good, but there are definitely many shows out there that are equal, and some that are even better. I enjoyed the show very much, but am still disturbed that so many people drool over a character who murdered people and acted so selfishly. Cool? Yes. Different? Yes. But saying that this kind of characterization is fantastically better than everything else that came before seems to be a reflection of our strange bloodlust that’s evident in entertainment these days. He can’t even be called an anti-hero. He’s a villain. Still a greatly written one of course, though.

7. Thomas Rush says:

In these modern times of entertainment, no popular hero, or anti-hero for that matter, can actually be fully put to rest, until a marketing department does a negative cost analysis study over the said hero or anti-hero’s corpse, and each member of the marketing department is called in, individually, to ensure that that there is no available pulse left for the creation of merchandise, related to the character, regardless of the character’s actual physical status. For this you can thank Superman, and or Jesus.
    :P

8. Rick says:

I don’t want to see someone mess with Breaking Bad just to sell a few commercial breaks.
    It was the best show on television; let it rest in peace and don’t rob its grave.

9. Alex says:

This is so dumb. It was so obvious he was just Fing around. And Vince had a good point- Do you really want him to live so he can die of cancer in prision??

10. I’m absolutely lost without this show being on. I felt that Breaking Bad still had a lot more to finish in my opinion. I also believe that they should do a show about Walter Jr. growing up and wanting to be like his father and traveling down the Heisenberg trail. I just hope that Better Call Saul will be just as good as Breaking Bad!

11. Fortyseven says:

They crafted a perfect story. It ended beautifully. As much as I loved the series, I’d rather not see that perfection tarnished by artificially extending it out. A few cameos on ‘Saul’ is really the most I’d want to see, as a fan.

12. tony says:

He’s just being fickle. He wants to say “don’t be dumb, he died in the show. People don’t come back from the dead”. But it allows websites to make a headline of it at least.

• Yup says:

Nah. He doesn’t have to die for it to be over. Walter the character definitely did not die. But the series can definitely be over.

13. Give it up people, I loved Breaking Bad just as much as anyone else but it’s time we move on with our lives lol.

• cxg says:

I tend to agree with you, BUT, like a dead lover, I would not turn down the opportunity to spend just five more minutes with my Baby Blue that is BrBa.