×

Sony Tells Theater Owners They Can Pull ‘The Interview’

Sony has told theater owners they can pull “The Interview” if they want to — the decision lies in their hands. Exhibitors are considering whether they should pull the film in advance of its wide release this Christmas, but Sony remains committed to the planned opening.

Multiplex owners were caught by surprise Tuesday after hackers evoked the memory of 9/11 while threatening theaters that play the comedy about an attempted assassination of North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un. The studio has remained mum on the latest message from the hackers and the Department of Homeland Security released a statement saying they have not yet discovered evidence of an active plot against U.S. theaters.

Some theater owners were adamant that they wouldn’t change plans.

“It’s unfortunate,” said Tom Stephenson, CEO of Look Cinemas. “If they play it, we’ll show it. Sony has a right to make the movie, we have a right to play it and censorship in general is a bad thing.”

The majority of theater owners reached by Variety declined to comment publicly, but most said they still planned to show the film, but would take additional security measures. One owner confessed that he was still processing the note and had yet to reach a decision.

Stocks for the country’s four largest theater chains — AMC, Regal, Cinemark and Carmike — all fell after news of the threat broke.

In the interim, “The Interview” stars Seth Rogen and James Franco cancelled all media appearances on Tuesday and Wednesday, but still plan to attend at the New York premiere on Thursday.

Exhibition industry analyst Eric Handler of MKM Partners said it is still unclear if the threats have any merit, and said he doesn’t think theaters will take the step of pulling out of showing the film without more concrete evidence.

“It ultimately comes down to security,” said Handler. “If there are concerns about actual terrorist acts than you have to think about pulling it…but there is no evidence that this cyber attack will escalate to anything above or beyond that.”

Executives at rival studios are concerned that the threats will dampen attendance during one of the busiest moviegoing periods of the year. There’s also concern about isolated incidents stemming from those who might be inspired by the broad coverage of the threats raised by the Sony hackers.

Regardless of whether or not the threats turn out to be idle, security experts say that the hackers message underscores vulnerabilities at entertainment venues. It was a danger that was brought brutally home two years ago when James Holmes opened fire during a midnight showing of “The Dark Knight Rises” in Aurora, Colorado killing 12 people, and one that may factor into theater owners minds when it comes to showing “The Interview.”

“We haven’t done enough to enhance security in places where people gather,” said Todd McGhee, president of Protecting the Homeland Innovations and a trainer of the anti-terrorism unit at Boston’s Logan International Airport. “We’ve done a lot to harden our security around infrastructure, mass transit and airports, but we’ve left a lot of our private sector vulnerable.”

On Sony’s Culver City lot, security measures have been stepped up substantially since the hackers first breached the company’s cyber defenses over two weeks ago. There is more of a security presence at all the gate entrances and employees have been told that there’s more measures that are in place that are not visible. A telephone tip line has also been set up internally for people to report any suspicious activity.

The general feeling on the lot, insiders say, is one of exhaustion and a deepening anxiety about what shoe will drop next.

More Film

  • Gabrielle Carteris

    SAG-AFTRA Signs Netflix Deal With Expanded Coverage

    SAG-AFTRA and streaming giant Netflix have agreed to a new three-year contract with expanded coverage for union performers. Netflix has previously employed SAG-AFTRA members under the union’s standard master contracts for television and film and had been signing on a production by production basis. The union announced Saturday that the new deal recognizes performance capture as covered work [...]

  • Neve CampbellVariety's Power of Women NY

    Neve Campbell Seeking SAG-AFTRA Board Seat on Matthew Modine Slate (EXCLUSIVE)

    Neve Campbell is running for a SAG-AFTRA national board seat as a member of presidential candidate Matthew Modine’s progressive Membership First slate. Campbell is best known for starring as Sidney Prescott in the “Scream” movies and as LeAnn Harvey in “House of Cards.” Her credits include “Skyscraper,” “Wild Things” and “The Craft.” Election ballots will [...]

  • Themba-Bhebhe

    Durban FilmMart’s Themba Bhebhe on Diversity: ‘We Are At a Crossroads’

    DURBAN–A new thematic strand at this year’s Durban FilmMart, Engage @ DFM, offers a series of think tanks and in-depth discussions concerning diversity and de-colonial approaches to and models for filmmaking. To head up the new initiative, the DFM tapped guest curator Themba Bhebhe, who has led the Diversity & Inclusion initiative at the last two editions of [...]

  • Durban Film Festival 2019 / Copyright

    South African Creatives Grapple Over Copyright Amendment Bill

    DURBAN–The South African government is planning to update its four-decade-old copyright legislation, but what that means for filmmakers was up for debate during a contentious and often heated session at the Durban FilmMart this week. While the Copyright Amendment Bill awaits the signature of President Cyril Ramaphosa, industry stakeholders remain divided over how the proposed [...]

  • 'The Lion King' Ruling Box Office

    'The Lion King' Ruling Box Office With Dazzling Debut at $180 Million

    Disney’s “The Lion King” has jolted the North American box office back to life with an opening weekend in the $180 million range, estimates showed Saturday. “The Lion King” will record the second-best opening of 2019 — and could replace “Incredibles 2,” which launched last year with $182.7 million, as the ninth biggest North American [...]

  • 'Tomb Raider' Star Simon Yam in

    'Tomb Raider' Star Simon Yam in Hospital After Stabbing

    Hugely popular Hong Kong actor, Simon Yam was stabbed while on stage Saturday at a presentation in Zhongshan, Guangdong province in southern China. He is in hospital recovering. The incident happened at the opening of a branch of the Beijing Easyhome building materials company, where Yam was a guest. A man was seen rushing on [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content