Kevin Smith Says Weinsteins Passed on ‘Clerks 3’

Clerks Movie

It looks like Kevin Smith’s plans for “Clerks 3,” which he initially wanted to start shooting in May, have been derailed.

Smith told Screen Daily that The Weinstein Company, who own the rights to the franchise, passed on the sequel.

“[The Weinsteins] passed,” Smith said. “I went in with a $6 million budget and they were like, ‘Oh no, Kevin. This is too high.’ Bob offered us distribution, but they weren’t going to finance it.”

“Clerks II” reportedly cost $5 million to make and grossed $24 million Stateside in wide release. The original pic was shot with less than a meager $30,000 and earned $3 million in very limited release.

In the meantime, the writer-director is already working on a spinoff to his upcoming horror movie “Tusk.”

“Like ‘Tusk,’ [‘Yoga-Hosers’] sprang out of a podcast,” Smith said. “There are two characters in a convenience store in ‘Tusk’ that you see for five minutes, very much Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. I’ve built a whole movie around them and I have brought one of the other characters from ‘Tusk’ back.”

“Tusk” will hit theaters later this year.

1. kevin says:

sounds like we need to so a kickstart campaign…. start the donations please…

2. John McNaughton says:

calm yourself people this was all part of the plan Kevin didn’t want to make clerks 3 with the Weinstein’s after they tried some shady things with the back end money this reporter didn’t do her due diligence on the back end of this article says she made with a good thing because she doesn’t know how to do her job right

3. i guess the Weinstiens do not want to make money off a franchise that makes money

• According to their accountants, they didn’t make any money off of Clerks 2. But the movie industry has a wacky way of balancing their books to always end up in the red. In one of his podcasts, Smith says he was told, “Just let the lawyers figure it out. It’s part of the business.”

4. Hairy Arse says:

Kevin Smith: you are a vulgar self parody.

5. Evan says:

Kevin Smith has been talking about self financing this movie for the last 2 years, and taking it on tour the same way he did with “Red State” and “Jay & Silent Bob’s Super Grovey Cartoon Movie” he just had to take it to The Weinsteins because of previous contractual agreements.

6. Dave Rudd says:

I agree with another posting, you should throw this project to Kickstarter, and we’ll finance it for you. Let the W’s distribute, and you get 100% creative control. Sounds like a deal to me.

7. Laura rhoads says:

I want clerks 3 to be made. They are my favorite movies of all time. I watch them so many times over and over. Please make a clerks 3 for the fans like myself who loved these movies.

8. David A. Bragg says:

Why can’t the human brown eye offer to pony up some of the production cost with some of the fat cash bank is paid him?q

• I would be a PA for free and live out of my car to help this film get made!

• In his podcasts he’s already talked about this, it’s old news. He is happy to pay for it himself and has said from day 1 he will pay for it out of pocket if it didn’t get picked up. He also said he thought about Kickstarter but knew he’d get the money that could go to those making their first movie and he didn’t want to take that away from them.

9. This isn’t news, he talked about this month’s ago.

10. You don’t need them….use Kickstarter! Get the people to finance your movie!

11. Bob Johnson says:

This is the worst news of my lifetime. The only times I have ever almost chocked to death laughing were during the Clerks movies.

12. I would hardly say that Clerks 3 is “derailed”. Smith has been saying for the past year that he HOPED the Weinsteins would pass on Clerks 3 so that he could make it himself. Especially after the accounting lawsuit filed over Clerks 2 alleged lack of profits, this development was both expected and welcomed.

13. Well Clerks II was pretty terrible so I can’t blame them.

• James says:

It was only terrible to people who know nothing about life. That movie was describing what someone’s thirties are like, with your previous life & friendships changing as you mature. You must be either young, or without friends.

14. stevenmillan says:

The Weinstein Brothers and their companies have pretty much gone down the toilet(in recent years),since their latest company Radius TWC barely releases films to theaters and they’ve lost their credibility as mighty mega-producers(via their many shady behind-the-scenes deals),which is a far cry from their heyday twenty years ago(via the success of PULP FICTION,which enabled them to upstart Dimension Films,own the franchises of THE CROW,CHILDREN OF THE CORN,HELLRAISER,and HALLOWEEN,and distribute a large array of Asian cinema films[of the martial arts,action,and drama kind]).

15. Renee says:

I have been waiting for Clerks III immediately after I watched Clerks II, I adore anything Kevin Smith does!

16. This is not bad news. It just means he is free to self finance it or go elsewhere for backing. They only had the right to first refusal.

17. Mchill23 says:

Crowd fund it. I shit you not; this will make it’s goals.

18. Kevin has said many times that he wont crowd fund a film. And particularly about Clerks 3, he said he would put his house on the line to make it. Either way it doesn’t matter. Tusk, Yoga-Hosers, and Moose Jaws, (his Canadian-horror trilogy) will be released first. Clerks 3 is on the back burner for a while. WALRUS YES!

• Tim says:

Kevin Smith crowd funded “Red State” by showing at speaking engagements for over $40 per ticket. He’s full of it to say he won’t crowd source when he already has. He was able to pay for a lot of it through that and getting it on Netflix.

• That’s not crowd funding. That’s just the standard commercialcommercial way. He pit his own money into red state, and also found some private financial backing. And considering you got the movie and a Q&A that was almost double the length of the movie, the tickets weren’t overpriced.

I’m in the UK, and even when the UK distribution screwed up the pricing, he still did the dates, despite it not making him or the film any money.

19. Shannon says:

Are they crazy!! I..a huge fan of all Kevin smiths work..would love to see clerks 3!!!! Please find a way! We need another mallrats also! Please n thanks! Snoogins! ;)

20. I look forward to Clerks 3. I find it absurd that studios will throw $40 million dollars into other comedies. I don’t know the difference between this and even $18 million for Neighbors, let alone what is spent on Tammy. Tusk will be good, and it ultimately secured a serious distributor despite the touring method of distribution Kevin started with Red State and continued with the animated Jay and Silent Bob movie. I think Clerks 3 should be made and released, followed by some kind of limited “TV” series for Dante and Randal. That world could sustain that sort of audience, maybe on Netflix or Amazon. . .

21. jbean says:

This isn’t actually a bad thing, Smith has asked the Weinsteins to pass on Clerks sequels before–they just have right of first and last refusal (according to him during his podcasts). This just means he can find financing elsewhere and then has to run the last offer by TWC again to give them the chance to match it or pass again. I have no doubt Clerks 3 will eventually get made.

22. johnkzin says:

This is what Kickstarter is good at. And I bet he’ll get MUCH more than $6mil for it.

23. This might sound a little far-fetched but what about Kickstarter?

24. Love Clerks. Love Kevin. Start a Fund Me, I got $5 on it.

25. Jay says:

We aleady knew about this, They agreed to fund it said they would distribute it and let him take it elsewhere to get made

26. Jeff says:

Suck it Stephen. Many fans for these movies. What movies have you put out?

27. Stephen says:

Those movies are garbage, but obviously there’s no economic reason the Weinsteins wouldn’t fund this (UNLESS, they thought fans would be stupid enough to fund production themselves in exchange for plastic baubles, which they are). This sounds to me like a calculated subterfuge that proceeds a crowd funding campaign.

• JT says:

*Those movies are amazing, but obviously there’s no economic reason the Weinsteins wouldn’t fund this (UNLESS, they thought fans would be brilliant enough to fund production themselves in exchange for plastic baubles, which they are). This sounds to me like a calculated subterfuge that proceeds a crowd funding campaign.

*Fixed that for you.