Gary Oldman Blasts Hollywood Politics, Defends Mel Gibson and Alec Baldwin

Gary Oldman Blasts Hollywood Politics, Defends

Gary Oldman has blasted Hollywood for what he perceives as a double standard — asserting that Bill Maher and Jon Stewart can get away with politically incorrect humor while others like Mel Gibson and Alec Baldwin cannot.

The profanity-laced statements are included in an interview with the July-August issue of Playboy. The most explosive part of the interview includes attacks on Maher, Stewart and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, following his declaration that political correctness is “crap.”

“Well, if I called Nancy Pelosi a c*** — and I’ll go one better, a f****** useless c*** — I can’t really say that. But Bill Maher and Jon Stewart can, and nobody’s going to stop them from working because of it. Bill Maher could call someone a fag and get away with it. He said to Seth MacFarlane this year, ‘I thought you were going to do the Oscars again. Instead they got a lesbian.’ He can say something like that. Is that more or less offensive than Alec Baldwin saying to someone in the street, ‘You fag’? I don’t get it.”

PHOTOS: Hollywood’s PR Nightmares

Oldman, star of such films as “Bram Stoker’s Dracula” and the “Dark Knight” trilogy, also asserted that the culture in Hollywood during the past awards season was such that “if you didn’t vote for ’12 Years a Slave,’ you were a racist. You have to be very careful about what you say.”

He also expressed sympathy for Gibson, who declared in 2006 while being arrested that “Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world.”

Gibson later apologized for the remarks.

“Mel Gibson is in a town that’s run by Jews, and he said the wrong thing because he’s actually bitten the hand that I guess has fed him – and doesn’t need to feed him anymore because he’s got enough dough,” Oldman said. “He’s like an outcast, a leper, you know?”

SEE ALSO: Mel Gibson, Embroiled in Gary Oldman Controversy, Wins Top Award

“I don’t know about Mel. He got drunk and said a few things, but we’ve all said those things,” the actor told Playboy during the interview, which began with a discussion of Oldman’s role in “Dawn of Planet of the Apes.”

“We’re all f****** hypocrites,” he added. “That’s what I think about it. The policeman who arrested him has never used the word n***** or that f****** Jew?”

“I’m being brutally honest here,” Oldman said. “It’s the hypocrisy of it that drives me crazy.”

Oldman also defended Baldwin’s use of homophobic language: “Alec calling someone an F-A-G in the street while he’s pissed off coming out of his building because they won’t leave him alone. I don’t blame him. So they persecute.”

SEE ALSO: Anti-Defamation League Condemns Gary Oldman’s ‘Irresponsible’ Remarks

UPDATE: Douglas Urbanski, Oldman’s manager and producing partner, asserted in an email that Oldman is not a bigot.

“I have looked at the Playboy interview a few times now—in fact I was in the room during the entire 8 or 9 hours. I am unaware—as I have seen reported–of Gary Oldman defending any anti-Semitic remarks in the interview, or, for that matter, anyplace! He would not do so, and in fact he finds any kind of bigotry, homophobia, anti-Semitism, racism or sexism unacceptable and disgraceful. Period.”

“If you read the Playboy piece correctly and entirely, and in context, it is the hypocrisy of political correctness that Gary is addressing, nothing else. It simply cannot be read any other way, and to put it any other way is simply cherry picking something, stating it inaccurately, and creating news where there is none. If you read the thru line of that segment closely, it is clear that it has only to do with Political Correctness and is in no way a defense of anti-Semitism. Political Correctness is a thing that drives Gary and many many others crazy!—goodness, this theme he addressed in his film ‘Nil By Mouth,’ in 1997!”

SECOND UPDATE: Oldman has since issued an apology for his comments, which the Anti-Defamation League has deemed “insufficient.”

1. meeeee says:

No, actually I never used those words he suggested all the people use. I think he’s talking about himself.

• Nick says:

You just lied. Don’t feel bad though. Most people are just like you. They want to paint this pretend picture of themselves for everyone to see. The truth is that you have said those things and you are the exact hypocrite he’s talking about.

2. Wrenchman says:

Why didn’t Gary really go out on limb and call out the hypocrisy of politics in Hollywood?
    Then I would have been impressed with his boldness! Looks like Gary still needs that hand to feed him?

3. Keen Holland says:

Douglas Urbanski may be skating on thin ice when he says “In this interview Gary is doing what many intelligent people do: he is illustrating the absurd by being absurd.” Rush Limbaugh has often referred to things he has done on the radio as illustrating absurdity by being absurd.

4. FatherJon says:

Who cares if someone is offended. Nobody promised that life was always going to be chummy and nice.
    If you don’t like what someone says, then don’t talk to him again. That’s what I do.

5. Jazchi says:

People are so freaking sensitive now days.

6. big daddy D says:

Maher’s not wrong on that point

7. Bob Davis says:

I never did understand why saying “The Jews run (ran) Hollywood” is always taken so offensively. I think it should be a badge of honor that a very small minority was (is) able to be so successful. And factually, Hollywood was built up by clever, smart Jewish businessmen (and a few businesswomen): Louis B. Mayer, the Warner Brothers, Samuel Goldwyn, Irving Thalberg, Steven Speilberg, David Geffen, Jeffrey Katzenberg, Marcus Loew, William Fox, Adolph Zukor, Sherry Lansing, et al. If not for these innovators and entrepreneurs, the world might never have had such a rich history of wonderful films. Certainly, Gary Oldman and others have used the phrase derogatorily. But as a major force in filmdom, Jews have made a tremendous artistic impact on both the US and the world. This is something of which to be quite proud. Any negative comments seem to reek of jealousy.

8. John Miller says:

I agree. Gary Oldman is being absurd!

9. Street Films says:

Yeah, whatever. This still doesn’t hold a candle to the Woody Allen controversy.

10. jrandl says:

Keep appeasing these jerks, Nobody will be able to say anything anymore, Tell them all to go to h-ll. that’s the only thing that will shut them up, along with ignoring them..

11. Courtney says:

Alec Baldwin and Mel Gibson weren’t trying to be funny when they said the shit that they said though? I’m not saying Stewart and Maher are infallible gods but like, come on now. What a shit comparison. Gary Oldman is some kind of jackass.

• Susan Meeks says:

So it’s ok to offend someone as long as your are trying to be funny when you do it right?

• Willilar80 says:

Comedians are among the commentators on the state of world. They use humor to advance the conversation and provoke thought. Jon Stewart and Bill Maher if you take the time to google them receive a good amount of blowback from the public. Hardly a week goes by when these guys arent in the news for some offensive comment they made.

The thing is they are doing it as art. Not just calling a guy taking their picture a Faggot, referring to black people as “packs of niggers” who rape women, calling cops sugar tits, accusing Jews of starting all the wars. or calling women who want access to birth control sluts.

12. HMelvilleMD says:

Gary Oldman says he’s not a bigot even as he says Jews run Hollywood and persecuted poor down trodden antisemitic Mel Gibson. Of course his career has been reduced to minor parts in Batman movies, so he is irrelevant. But irrelevant or not, his apology is not accepted.

• Street Films says:

This is not a race issue. EVERYONE persecuted Woody Allen, and wrongly so with no credible evidence, and he’s not white. He’s an intellect. At least there’s credible evidence against Oldman, Gibson, and Baldwin (sounds like a law firm).

13. STARVEDnBEATEN says:

OY GEVALT! these comments are like another shoah!
    I remember when the Nazis murdered about 921,123,546,237,474,137,785,345 million quadrillion quintillion fafillion jews in just under 10 minutes. They had this wormhole device that shot jews into the sun and then their ashes came out of another wormhole. It was horrible. I still don’t talk about it to this day. I know that next year Hollywood will make a movie about it because a holocaust movie for this year was already made. You see, I was a survivor myself. I too was beaten and starved. I watched helplessly as the Nazis tore my fellow jews apart by using a machine that created black holes that sucked them up at a molecular level. I watched as the Nazis then murdered jews by using telepathy, esp, telekenisis, and pyrokinesis. Did I mention I was also starved and beaten? It was then that I met Herman Rosenblat who gave me a spoon made of Adamantium right before the Nazis dropped him in an arena and unleashed the invisible rabid unicorns on him. Right before he died he told me that he defeated a Nazi SS commander called “Wolverine” and used the broken bones of his enemy to fashion a spoon to dig his way out of Auschwitz where he has just escaped from but was later recaptured. Did I mention that I was also starved and beaten? As Herman lay there dying in my arms from tiny 1/16″ invisible unicorn pony horn gashes, I knew then that I had to make my escape to tell the world or at least Oprah of my suffering and that of the jewish people.
    I escaped by tunneling through solid rock in an underground prison that the Nazis dug that was 2,343,546,435 meters below ground. It was hard at first to tunnel through solid quarts and lava but the spirit and honesty of Herman Rosenblat kept me going. I used the spoon and luckily made it to the surface 25 years later. I was also starved and beaten as well. The entire 25 years I only ate one stale vienna schnitzel and four matzah balls I had stuffed in my pants pockets. I drank the dew from the sides of the cavern I managed to dig. The spirit of Herman Rosenblat allowed me to dig a tunnel that was about 16 feet in diameter and then I snuck back into the Nazi camp to get electrical wire to run lights to I can dig in the night as well as the day. During that time I heard the screams of all the jews that were thrown into the sun. It was a reminder that I had to keep digging. I had to keep going if not for Herman, but also for the 921,123,546,237,474,137,785,345 million quadrillion quintillion fafillion jews that died those 10 minutes. The world had to hear about Herman Rosenblat and the spoon. The horrible torture he had to endure at the hands of the Nazis and the 3ft invisible unicorn ponies rumored to have been light pink in color that would eventually do him in. Did I mention I was beaten and starved as well? Before I escaped though, the pictures of all of Herman’s suffering and my escape were all burned during the allied bombings.
    My tunnel collapsed and I lost the spoon. However, the memories will stay with me forever. It was two years later in a bistro in Tel Aviv during a tearful surprise that I discovered that Herman was still alive and had actually just pretended to be dead. He then followed me through the tunnel and had escaped mere seconds before it collapsed. We are both talking to the Weinstein brothers to bring this story to the people of America, this story of being starved and beaten. Herman and I decided to call the movie “Starved and Beaten”. It is a long ordeal and we won’t be able to convey the message completely in just one movie.We also are going to do “Starved and Beaten : New Spoon” , “Starved and Beated 3 : Apocalypse ” , “Starved and Beaten : Breaking Ground Part 1” , and “Starved and Beaten : Breaking Ground Part 2” The reaction from the acting community has been amazing. Actors world wide are fighting for the role and so far Brad PItt has been cast to play my role and George Clooney is cast to play Herman. The cast of Twilight had graciously volunteered to play the roles of prisoners so the star power will be immense. I am literally tearing up at the thought of what happened to Herman and all the suffering he must have went through. It almost makes me forget how I was starved and beaten.

14. Shotzie says:

I love it Gary, I am so sick of what we can an cannot say..I thought this was a FREEE word..who controls this anyhow. Growing up we all used sland words an no one cared..NOW..watch out it makes us racists…I cannot figure that out..So you are spot on about Mel an Alec..an I wll throw the NBA guy in there..geez..ridiculous.

• Dale Palmetto says:

Agreed! I feel like we’re in the age of victims. Everyone wants to be a victim. If people are so easily offended they need to board up their houses and never leave.

15. Dana says:

Since when is the Anti-Defamation League America’s moral compass? I thought that was what God was for. Further more since when did Hollywood become the Purity League? Since the early days there has been more deprivation and scandal in the relatively small area known as Hollywood than in Sodom and Gomorrah. Their life styles behind closed doors would probably melt your plasma screen televisions if publicized. So basically we all are regulated to the whining and political outbursts of those with no political background or formal education. Bill Maher who sucked as a stand up comedian and became a self proclaimed political expert and Jon Stewart who was what before his show? When are we going to stop listening to all of these self promoting imbecilic morons and start switching the channels?

• Dale Palmetto says:

Who do you prefer? Glenn Beck, O’Reilly? Or do you need to read the bible for the answer? Longest selling fiction book of all time.

• Willilar80 says:

What’s with the “we” if you dont like the guys shows dont watch. We all have the ability to not watch a show dont like. If you dont like them dont see Bill Maher do standup when he’s touring @ 40 weeks a year to mostly sold out crowds. And dont watch Daily Show which is considered a more trusted news source than Fox, MSNBC, and CNN.

16. Ken says:

Good lord…more whining from some conservative who feels “persecuted” by a “liberal agenda”. Having a comedian make a comment like “they got a lesbian)….during a standup act that’s obviously an ACT….is a bit different from the drunken tirades of a guy like Mel Gibson and is certainly different from standing up and calling Nancy Pelosi (or indeed anybody) a fucking useless cunt. And yet this conservative whines like a baby over it. How typical.

• Adam says:

The fact that someone is a comedian is not a blanket excuse to make any joke you feel like. If you think this way you are enabling people to make fun of and marginalize their target for humor. Just because they made someone laugh when they said it does not excuse them from legit criticisim. Maher is not always joking either espessially when he mocks christians for believing in as he calls God a “Magical invisible man in the sky”.

• Dale Palmetto says:

Satire – the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people’s stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

• Willilar80 says:

Bill Maher is an equal opportunity offender. i notice you have no critque of his tirades of Muslims only offensive because you believe in that one particular “Magical invisible man in the sky”. You self righteous bigots who somehow think that your belief systems should somehow impede on the civil rights of others.

Where do people like you get off thinking that what you believe in is somehow more important than your neighbors ability to marry the consenting adult that they love? You people are so full of yourselves. If you dont believe gay marriage dont marry a person of the same sex. And dont invite your gay neighbors over for dinner. They probably dont like you either. But they dont try to impede your ability to believe in whatever mysticism or book of fables you subscribe to.

• Ken says:

Again…..an angry tirade is something different from a comedy act. And if you don’t like it you are cordially invited to go fuck yourself. And i’m not even angry, just amused by the constant bitching of conservatives about how unfair the world is to them. Whine, whine whiiiiiiiiiiine…all your rights being taken away. Nobody plays fair….. Blah, Blah, Blah. You’re like a bunch of bratty 6 year old constantly pitching tantrums.

17. Jackie says:

You’re a complete idiot.

18. Sal U. Lloyd says:

Totally agree on PLAYBOY comment. I guess Mr. Oldman just wanted to make use of the opportunity.

But then again, wasn’t it a 60’s feminist who once praised PLAYBOY???

19. Kit says:

Okay, I will agree with Gary that people make mistakes and say stupid things and that it isn’t right to crucify them over it. That being said, when you are an actor, comedian or otherwise in the public eye, you have to watch what you say because you KNOW that anything that comes out of your mouth might come back to bite you in the end. If Mel Gibson didn’t want to be painted as a drunk douchebag, then maybe he should have though before delivering anti-Semitic rants or abusive voice mail to his ex wife. The latter should have probably been private, but again, when you are famous people are going to release things that you said whether you’d like them to or not.

As for the part about Baldwin calling someone a “fag” and Maher a “lesbian,” it deeply saddens me that Gary doesn’t understand the difference between a pejorative term and an adjective or noun. Someone is a “lesbian” or a “homosexual” and I think that’s as acceptable to say as saying an individual is black, white or from Spain. However, slinging the words “fag” or “dyke” around in a fit of rage is obviously meant to wound rather than describe. Baldwin knows better than this. I don’t think he has to apologize for his comments – it’s certainly his choice to do as he wishes – but I don’t think it’s unfair for people to call attention to it or complain.

Bottom line, political correctness aside, free speech means that people can say whatever they want. But it doesn’t mean they should be immune to backlash their comments may cause. It goes both ways. The end.

• up4daze says:

So Free speech means we as Americans should rejoice in the fact we have a 1st amendment but should expect the guns, water cannons and accept that as a inevitable consequence of exercising rights. I say no that is not the intent. The freedom from persecution for exercising those rights be it from the government or workplace is clearly the intent of the 1st amendment.

20. Sal U. Lloyd says:

I read on another website where he wrote a letter of apology to the ADL. I agree in part with what he says as far as the film industry, BUT he could have been a little more diplomatic about it.

He is absolutely right about Maher and Stewart–particularly the smug Maher.

21. are any of the rants outright lies?

22. Sal U. Lloyd says:

Amelia, I’ve read BOTH conservatives and liberals complain of “political correctness” so DON’T say it’s just one side or another.

23. Willilar80 says:

For all of you idiots praising Gary Oldman for speaking his truth… he sure didnt waste a long time apologizing. What a coward. I thought he was stupid for defending the statements of Gibson & Baldwin and then comparing them to comedians at work.

But knowing that his interview took place over 8 hours and he doesnt claim that the reporter took his statements out of context he’s just cowtowing. If you are going to walk in your truth I can respect that. But backpedaling because of pressure is just beyond.

Grow a pair. If you said it sober stick by it. It makes you look like not just stupid but also weak of mind and conviction.

24. wish entertainers would keep out of areas such as politics unless they have something very important to say. It was ok to oppose a war or lambaste a crooked politician but to rant about this kind of stuff just shatters their public profile for very little reason

25. Willilar80 says:

Its worth arguing that… If in fact most homosexuals are “miserable, messed-up people” that maybe it has something to do with societies subjugating them, forcing them to live in the closet or face religious/ideological persecution or criminal prosecution depending upon what country you live in. An person can be sentenced to prison, beaten, or stoned to death because they have sex and/or romantic relationships with other consenting adults of the same sex.

Dont forget that gays were rounded up and exterminated with the Jews and Gypsies. And that the punishments I mentioned of earlier are currently in effect in various countries around the world. Some US States still have laws on the books regarding sodomy.

People use the guise of their religion to cast out their children and family members because of whom they are attracted to. If you dealt with those kinds of obstacles based on something deeply personal that does not directly affect another person unless you’re in a relationship or having sex with them it would probably leave you a bit miserable and messed up.

Although there are many many perfectly happy well adjusted gay people in the world despite all of this.

26. ***Beliefs*** sorry tried to catch that as it was posting..

27. Paul says:

The difference is context. Maher and Stewart are vocal supporters of the LGBT community, while Baldwin consistently defaults to anti-gay slurs when he gets pissed off at people. We know Bill and Jon don’t have malice when they use certain words for effect, unlike Mel Gibson’s lunatic rants. Sorry, Oldman, there is no defending Gibson here.

• Ken Amos says:

People are free to express their opinions. As Mr. Olman’s stated everyone has made remarks that would be offensive to someone, some ethic or religious group. It is hypocritical for Mr. Gibson and Mr. Baldwin to be hung out to dry, when those doing it are guilty of the same.

28. Drew says:

Nuff’ said

29. Ben Gordon says:

Problem is “Everything’s subject to interpretation”. People hear or see what they choose to believe.

30. Seriously, if you say “he hit the nail on the head” I honestly feel bad for you. Learn what satire is. The difference between stewart and gibson? One is funny and makes his living off jokes. I’m not into overly PC, but failing to understand satire, makes YOU look stupid, not them.

31. Don Ritchie says:

Actually Gary, I’ve made it most of my adult life without using the n-word or the f-word…

32. Zeke Teke says:

so Mel Gibson was putting on a comedy show with his ranting against Jews? I think that is quite different from a show on Comedy Central.

33. John says:

Actually, it precisely because there is free speech that arguments like this exist and we can read about them online. If there were not free speech, the government would suppress opinions that ran contrary to their position, and the press would be prevented from reporting on them. Free speech does not mean that private citizens must agree with or even respect all speech, neither does it mean that one must employ/support/respect people who say things others find repugnant (on either end of the ideological spectrum). All it means is that the government cannot suppress those ideas.

Whether or not a politically correct attitude is hypocritical and counterproductive to honest dialogue is a separate issue.

• Zeke Teke says:

I never understood how people think freedom of speech meant anything more than free from government persecution for expressing their beliefs. It is like they think they should be able to express racism, homophobia, etc and not have it impact their job when such expressions could then cost their employer money via boycott or people just feeling less inclined to patron that company anymore because of it. Of course they are going to be fired from there, they are costing their employer customers!

34. Oliver says:

Oldman has a point (although it’s more a double standard than hypocrisy per se) but counterarguing that calling someone a fag is harmless isn’t the answer…anyway the real bigotry in places like Hollywood can’t simply be “caught” by the usage of derogatory terms, it’s a broader pattern (think of how groups like Southerners, Irish, German, Catholics, and so on are usually portrayed in movies).

• Sal U. Lloyd says:

Oh, for sure, but I don’t think it’s Germans anymore. Look at the way Middle Easterners have been portrayed by Hollywood. If academician Walter Laquer can complain about how Israelis were once portrayed by Arab novelists in the 60s and 70s, one can surely complain about how Arabs or unspecified Middle Easters have been portrayed in Hollywood movies since the 60s or 70s and right up to the 90s (True Lies)!

The positive step among Jewish-Americans is that the Academy how finally accepted Palestine as an official country as far as foreign language movie consideration.

35. KilliK says:

Talk about career suicide.

36. jcthree3303 says:

Maher’s show is on HBO. Stewart’s is on Comedy Central. Nuff Said.

37. JJacksonRotoWiz says:

Funny, I could say the same thing about Faux News “Hateful fools who distort reality to benefit their show/party.”

38. Aaron Flippen says:

And that last line was just a bit of snark. I don’t really know if he’s bigoted or not. But from his defense of Gibson & Baldwin, I could assume as much.

39. Aaron Flippen says:

When you make comments defending obviously bigoted actions, whether intended or not, it looks like you agree w/them. Mr. Oldman used horrible examples to illustrate his viewpoints. I actually agree that PC is inhibiting conversation that is constructive. Nothing about his examples are constructive or advances society. And if you want freedoms, you must accept the responsibilities that come with them. Freedom without responsibility is anarchy. Which is why consequence is a must. It forces you to really think about your words & actions. If you can’t be you in the face of consequence, then it’s either not genuine or you’re acknowledging how reprehensible it really is subconciously.

40. M Scott Davis says:

Okay, Oldman, I get the anti-hypocrisy angle but you are comparing apples to lemons. Context is always important. The truth is often told while drunk or in anger. Exposing yourself as antisemitic or homophobic and then apologizing without admitting anything is unacceptable. Most of us are a little racist, antisemitic and homophobic or we’re not being honest with ourselves.

41. Spot on,,,been a while since I haven’t heard truth spoken like this. Valid point. I’m moderate neither raging liberal nor conservative.

• Carol says:

I agree. I get sick of people getting crucified for the words they’ve spoken in a fit of rage or in a drunken stupor. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I think every one of us said something we shouldn’t have while drunk or angry…we just weren’t important enough for it to be broadcast around the world.

42. Darla says:

Being a Gen X’er. I have said for a long time (surely more after hearing the song ‘I wanna sex u up’ turned into ‘I wanna love u up’ recently) that All In The Family needs to re run on TV. Archie Bunker never messed us up. Meaning this uber politically correct ridiculousness is just that. Ridiculous. Thank goodness I was born when I was. Knowing a time before this “politically correct” nonsense.
    I also know that I have always said that without putting down any type of people. Jew or Gentile.

• lacheraqui says:

Completely agreed, Darla. Re-run the progressive (and still relevant) series “All in the Family” and “Maude” and the miniseries “Roots” and “Holocaust” (to name a precious few). Create events around those rebroadcasts, to remind those who’ve forgotten, and inform those who weren’t yet born, we once lived in a country that tested its First Amendment rights with intelligence and wit, fearless programming that created a national conversation in which we learned from each other through well-crafted, accessible, relatable storytelling instead of wantonly, mindlessly, ripping each other apart in what I often call “anti-social media.” The sound bite (often conveniently taken out of context) and the meme (many of which contain egregious misquotes) have supplanted the rich, informed discourse on which I was fortunately raised. We’re behaving like undisciplined teenagers. We are hypersensitive about the wrong things. We aren’t listening to each other with open minds. We’re in trouble, and it’s time for a culture correction.

43. Brandon says:

You are like a man after my own heart, except you wrote “ect.” several times in your writing. It’s “etc.” and stands for “Et cetera.” Also, that was quite a long wall of text. Breaking it up into paragraphs would have been nice. “Idiocracy” is indeed a documentary of the future now. You should look up Ben Shapiro. He makes many of the points you have about liberals.

• Blake says:

Agree with many of your points! I too fall in the middle(maybe more liberal than conservative) and both parties have problems. Those problems get worse as the extremist of each party try to mold the opinion of the public instead of educating and letting the people decide. One thing I have issue with though is your opinion about democrats bashing bush about the wars then not wanting out once Obama was in…frankly I think that’s untrue. Obama has consistently been pulling troops out of the middle east and has kept us out of multiple other conflicts around the world so far. Even extending the timeline to try to leave a more secure Iraq(didn’t work, but if we were out in 2011 like Bush signed in his treaty it would be far worse…well maybe the same, the middle east is F’d). If Bush were still in office we would be in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Ukraine, and probably Iran once we planted enough evidence to make a case. War is not simple, especially in the world we live in today. Obama was left with the wars we are in and had no easy quick way out if you still want to accomplish the goals of going to war in the first place. And after 10 years of war, 10 years!!!! I still hear the conservatives screaming how all the fallen soldiers are being disgraced by us pulling out of Iraq and not helping them continue to secure their democracy. At some point it has to end and the past choices can’t be the basis for future choices. If they want to fight for their own freedoms, let them. Lets take care of some issues at home.

44. Willilar80 says:

It all comes down to character. Who here has in the heat of anger or drunkeness called their black, hispanic, native american, jewish, gay or lesbian “friend” a nigger, wetback, redskin, kike, faggot, or bulldyke? or said I hope you get raped by a “pack of one of those racial epithets” I hope the answer is very few. Because these are words that denote a lack of humanity and respect for you fellow man.

Making a joke a especially in the context that people know it a joke is a far cry from coming up with the most hateful and derogatory terms you can think of to describe a person or group based on their race, religion or sexuality. Which is the differnce between Mel Gibson & Bill Maher.

Anyone who cant see the difference between are and hatred probably cant because they arent smart enough to understand nuance. Or they’re just so full of hate that they assume eveyone else is too…

That was thinly veiled sarcasm.

45. Kimberly says:

I understand that apparently is Mr. Oldman’s mind there is no difference between saying something indifferently for humor and screaming inappropriately in a rage but that does not make it ok. I agree the N word is being thrown around like candy these days and it should not be but as a person of Jewish heritage I can not believe that anybody could defend Mel Gibson and his rants. Not only is he antisemitic he was quoted as saying he did not even believe the Holocaust even happened and that it was mostly fiction. Being that my grandparents were there I would truly like to be given the chance to let him see their “fiction”.

• Willilar80 says:

I hear what you’re saying but I have to sadly disagree with you on one specific point. The reference of the “N word” being thrown around like candy is acceptable but anti-semitism is deplorable?

I personally find both to be wretched and vile. However It’s important to point out that “sanitizing” the “n word” has been a very deliberate act on the part of non-black people more than anyone else. The use of this word has been glorified and overused in music especially over @ the last 20+ years with the introduction of gangster rap.

The majority of people who reached fame through this genre did not come from well to do families and go to performing arts schools or universities or college at all for that matter. So taking young underprivileged, angry, urban youth and giving them carte blanche to say and do anything on a record as long as it sells, They are proping up the lowest people on the food chain and turning them into role models. For the mass market.

Parents do have a responsibility. But you would think that a people as persecuted as the jews have been hisorically would not actively seek to profit from denegrating another persecuted minority. Halocaust was awful. So was Slavery and Jim Crow.

• Willilar80 says:

kim, Thanks for clarifying your position. Because it came across as indifferent. I am indeed aware that no one holds a monopoly on greed and exploitation. I also feel like there is a social responsiblity that comes along with influence. I was going to say fame but truth is when you know someone is paying attention and possibly looking up to you there should be a a conscious effort to put your best foot forward. Whether its your child, just some kid in your neighborhood, or millions of fans.

That’s one thing that really annoys me about celebrities. They so often say I didnt sign up to be a role model. However that’s exactly what they sign up for. Even actors who play supporting roles in community theater love the adulation of fans.

• Kimberly says:

I am sorry that I was not more precise in my comment, I was raised that saying the N word was worse than typical cussing and my children have been raised the same way. When saying that I understand that it is thrown around does not mean I condone it. I am a coach who on a regular basis has to step in for the nonparenting of children today, and I agree with you that all racism is deplorable. I am famous for saying that I do not care if a purple and blue person get together and have a rainbow baby. People should not be persecuted for the color of skin, their religion, or their lifestyle. In your reference to jews actively seeking profit please realize that is a trait by all people not just “jews”.

46. Julie Turek says:

An antisemite is an antisemite-don’t throw your PR people out to sweep up the trash now that you’ve had a party. OWN YOUR RACISM & SEXISM.

47. Synthesist says:

Probably only Harrison Ford has been in more blockbusters than Gary.

48. A. Hole says:

I thought Oldman was a great actor, but apparently he is unable to distinguish malicious character intent from sarcasm or satire. I guess he’s been getting line reads from his directors all along…

49. oaksdenJonO says:

I don’t understand. There’s no-one more politically correct than Alec Baldwin. He’s the darling of the New York Progressives. If he is shunned because he said something nasty, maybe it’s because people didn’t like hearing it.