‘Mrs. Doubtfire’ Sequel in the Works

mrs-doubtfire

Fox 2000 has tapped “Elf” scribe David Berenbaum to write a sequel to the 1993 comedy hit “Mrs. Doubtfire,” with Robin Williams attached to reprise his starring role and Chris Columbus to return as director.

The original movie, which was based on the Anne Fine book, followed Williams’ struggling actor and divorced father who disguises himself as an elderly housekeeper in order to see his kids while his ex-wife has custody. Sally Field and Pierce Brosnan also starred.

The pic took more than $400 million worldwide, and Fox has tried to get a sequel into production ever since. Elizabeth Gabler and Marisa Paiva are overseeing for Fox 2000.

The WME-repped Berenbaum’s other credits include “The Haunted Mansion” and “The Spiderwick Chronicles.”

The Hollywood Reporter first reported the news.

1. Mary says:

We even went to San Francisco to see the house! But Mrs. Doubtfire didn’t live there anymore… LOL

2. Mary says:

Any sequel could never even touch the original. Likely one of my all-time favorites, my family and I know the lines by heart. That movie had laughs to tears and everything in-between.

3. Mara Wilson says:

Mr. Doubtfire?

4. Robin Kukas says:

i think Mrs. Doubtfire meets Madea would be a funnier movie

5. Sarah says:

The sequel should include a cameo of Dustin Hoffman in a modern day “Tootsie” outfit!

• Why? Why should it do that? Other than the obvious link of cross-dressing, what do either two movies have in common? Nothing. Just because two things share a link doesn’t mean the automatically need to reference each other. Think, before you speak, please.

6. partybasher says:

I remember Robin Williams saying on the Graham Norton show that a sequel would be pointless. I guess when the first movie made $400 million, it wasn’t pointless anymore.

7. The problem is is that Hollywood is running out of ideas for movies and that is why they are coming out with sequels or just redone movies.

8. I personally think it’s been way too long since this movie was released to come out with a sequel. I think they should abandon the idea unless they are looking at these kids as adults as the movie is over twenty years old. Move on to something else.

9. Emily says:

Please don’t destroy my childhood. PLEASE?! I just want this to be good. Robin Williams is always funny, but why does it seem like Hollywood is trying to just churn out sequels to movies from the 80’s and 90’s lately? Or remake stuff from that era? Are there NO original ideas left? :(

10. Kayle says:

Can’t be as bad as the rubbish on cinemas nowadays, like that Fast and Furious rubbish.

11. I cant wait, i loved the first one. Ok i know many sequels are rubbish, but hopefully this will be one of the good ones.

12. Tom says:

Hideous.

13. kndwmn says:

had to mention at least now he can play his real age in it, love robin williams

14. I am looking forward to the next movie! I also can’t wait to see the characters playing their roles as well!

15. Gods you people are cynical. If you don’t like the idea WHY are you here? just to splash shit all over the fans of this movie?

assholes.

• Joseph Baker says:

Just because you don’t agree with peoples opinion on a remake of this movie doesn’t mean that people do not have a right to an opinion. Welcome to the real world ASSHOLE.

16. I’m going to go ahead and predict the plot:
    -Robin Williams character must once again don the dress and make-up to put on an embarrassing re-hash of the Mrs. Doubtfire sham.
    -The audience groans because they have long lost the emotional attachment to these characters
    -The movie ends up being a caricature of the original, with all heart and subtlety lost as we watch Robin Williams try to carry the movie by himself.
    -Everyone leaves the theater sad.

-Slight chance (maybe 15%) that he passes on the torch to a younger father-in-distress

• “Matilda” refuses to act anymore. So even if they have his kids in it, it’ll be a different actress. Isn’t the whole premise of Mrs. Doubtfire supposed to be around his kids?! STUPID STUPID STUPID idea!

• jamison says:

matilda wants nothing to do with her father but she needs a babysitter for her kids. doubtfire steps in to see his grandkids

17. I.. I don’t know how to feel about this… This was a childhood movie.. D… Did it really need a sequel?

18. Star says:

Honestly they were all terrible movies… don’t make another….

19. nina says:

NAAAAA leave it alone.

20. Jace says:

Sally Field’s expression in the pic is a perfect example of what we’re all thinking about the sequel.

21. Josh says:

What the hell is going to be the premise for this movie? he got remarried, redivorced, and dresses in drag again? the kids from this movie are all in their 30s and, if I remember correctly, he started a successful kids show based on Doubtfire at the end of the movie. Can’t really make a sequel to a movie based on a secret that everyone now knows…

• khanisnottheeasyroute says:

As Chris Columbus said himself about a year ago, “The thing that fascinates me about a sequel to Mrs. Doubtfire is with most actors who create an iconic charcter like Mrs. Doubtfire, when you come back and do that character, well, you’re twenty years older so, you’re not going to look the same. The cool thing with Mrs. Doubtfire is there’s a character, there’s a woman, who is actually going to look exactly as she did in 1993.

“So I look forward to seeing that trailer. I love that concept and there’s no CGI. So we just need to make absolutely certain that the story is a good emotionally strong story, that there’s a reason for telling it, it’s not like Big Momma’s House or something. It has to be as emotional and as funny.”

Script writing for this movie commenced in 2001, but none of the players liked the first number of concepts created. I trust that if they’ve been working on it this long, and they finally got a concept they all agree on, then maybe it won’t be so bad after all. With Chris Columbus directing, it’s hard to say they’ll just come up with something crappy.

22. Alex Carney says:

This was the movie my parents saw on their first date so I am excited.

23. Linda says:

this would be GREAT Love this movie

24. Alex Andra says:

This is so awesome and really safed my otherwise miserable day!!! :)

25. Frank Clark says:

OMG why????? Is H’Wood *that* strapped for content? Sheesh.

26. Alec says:

I’m hoping it stars Mrs. Featherbottom.

27. Liam Scanlan says:

LOL First “Dumb and Dumber To” is announced, then “Beetlejuice 2”, and now this!
    What is up with all these sequels to classic comedies with the original stars and directors returning to do them? I hope they’re all good,