×

Disney Plans Third ‘Cars,’ ‘The Incredibles 2’

Walt Disney Company chief Bob Iger said Tuesday that Pixar plans to produce a third installment of its “Cars” franchise, and a sequel for “The Incredibles.”

The executive made the announcement during the company’s shareholders meeting in Portland, Ore., providing few other details.

Cars 2,” Pixar’s 12th film, earned nearly $560 million worldwide in 2011; $191 million in the U.S. While somewhat of a critical disappointment, the film, directed by John Lasseter, still minted millions for Disney from consumer products like toys, apparel and other merchandise, a series of “Cars Toons” shorts, and helped spin off the company’s newest franchise, “Planes,” a film that was originally developed as a direct-to-homevideo title but went on to launch its own toy line and earn around $220 million worldwide when it was released theatrically in 2013. A sequel, “Planes: Fire and Rescue” bows July 18.

Cars Land also has been a major draw for Disney’s California Adventure theme park in Anaheim, helping turn around that park by significantly boosting attendance.

The first “Cars” bowed in 2006, earning $461 million ($244 million domestically).

Popular on Variety

SEE ALSO: ‘Star Wars Episode VII’ to Begin Filming in May, New Details Announced

The Incredibles”-director Brad Bird is writing the sequel for the superhero pic, Iger said. Bird is currently helming Disney’s live action “Tomorrowland,” starring George Clooney, in theaters May 22, 2015.

In addition to the new films, Disney plans to re-release “The Incredibles” in 3D, as well as “Ratatouille,” the way it’s reformatted Pixar’s “Toy Story” and “Toy Story 2,” “Monsters, Inc.” and “Finding Nemo.”

Fans have long been requesting an “Incredibles” sequel since the film went on to earn $631 million in 2004. The film’s characters are strong sellers in the Mouse House’s “Disney Infinity” game.

Pixar’s upcoming films include 2015’s “Inside Out,” which takes place inside the mind of an 11-year-old girl, Thanksgiving’s “The Good Dinosaur,” and the “Finding Nemo” sequel “Finding Dory,” in 2016.

More Film

  • Anais Bertrand on Producing Sundance Player

    Anais Bertrand on the Obstacles She Faced to Produce Sundance Player ‘Jumbo’

    Zoé Wittock’s debut feature, “Jumbo,” screening in Sundance’s World Cinema Dramatic Competition, is also the first feature film produced by up-and-coming French producer Anais Bertrand, of Insolence Productions, who has cut her teeth on award-winning shorts, including winning the Procirep Short Film Producer Award last year. “Jumbo” is about a young woman, played by Noémie [...]

  • 'Parasite,' 'Jojo Rabbit' Win ACE Eddie

    'Parasite,' 'Jojo Rabbit' Win ACE Eddie Awards for Top Feature Films

    “Parasite” and “Jojo Rabbit” have won the top feature film trophies at the 70th Annual ACE Eddie Awards at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. Jinmo Yang won the dramatic feature category for “Parasite” over “Ford v Ferrari,” “Joker,” “The Irishman,” and “Marriage Story.” The victory marks the first time in ACE Eddie Awards history that a [...]

  • Gregg Smith, Dancer and Choreographer Assistant,

    Gregg Smith, Dancer and Choreographer Assistant, Dies at 73

    Gregg Smith, a dancer, casting director and assistant choreographer who had a long association with director Kenny Ortega, has died. He was 73. Smith died on Jan. 1. The industry veteran worked as a performer in the national touring company of the musical “Hair” and in a Los Angeles production of “Jesus Christ Superstar.” He [...]

  • Oscar Isaac Golden Globes 2016

    Film News Roundup: Oscar Isaac Joins Superhero Movie 'The Great Machine'

    In today’s film news roundup, Oscar Isaac boards “The Great Machine,” Keira Knightley joins “Silent Night” and “The Dog Doc” finds a home. CASTINGS Legendary has closed a deal for Oscar Isaac to star in and produce superhero saga “The Great Machine.” The project is based on Brian K. Vaughan’s comic book series “Ex Machina” [...]

  • Editorial use only. No book cover

    U.S. Movie Admissions Plunge 4.6% in 2019 Amid Box Office Decline

    U.S. movie admissions slid 4.6% last year to 1.24 billion, the second lowest admissions number during the current century, the National Association of Theatre Owners (NATO) has reported. North American box office for the year declined 4.1% to $11.4 billion, NATO said Friday. That figure was in line with the estimate released at the end [...]

  • Editorial use only. No book cover

    'National Treasure 3' Moves Ahead From Disney, Jerry Bruckheimer

    Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer are moving ahead with a third “National Treasure” movie with “Bad Boys for Life” screenwriter Chris Bremner tapped to write the script. Bremner has also signed to write a fourth “Bad Boys” for Sony with Bruckheimer producing. Bruckheimer produced the three “Bad Boys” and the two “National Treasure” movies. The “National [...]

  • Mike (WILL SMITH), Marcus (MARTIN LAWRENCE)

    'Bad Boys 4' in the Works at Sony Pictures

    Sony Pictures has launched early development of an untitled fourth “Bad Boys” movie with “Bad Boys for Life” screenwriter Chris Bremner returning to write the script. Bremner has also signed to write “National Treasure 3” for Disney with Jerry Bruckheimer producing. Bruckheimer produced the three “Bad Boys” and the two “National Treasure” movies. Bremner teamed [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content