Comic-Con: Next ‘Godzilla’ Monsters Revealed

Godzilla

Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah will be the next monsters joining Legendary Entertainment’s “Godzilla” franchise, the company revealed at Comic-Con on Saturday.

Gareth Edwards will return to direct after he completes his “Star Wars” spinoff film for Disney and Lucasfilm. That movie is dated for Dec. 16, 2016.

Edwards was not present at the panel since he’s in London working on the “Star Wars” film.

SEE ALSO: How ‘Godzilla’ Roared Again with Director Gareth Edwards, Legendary’s Thomas Tull

Legendary chief Thomas Tull revealed the “Godzilla” creatures during the start of the company’s Comic-Con panel. “Godzilla” was first introduced at the fanfest in 2012.

After the success of this year’s “Godzilla,” Toho Co., which owns the rights to the character, gave Legendary the greenlight to move forward with sequels and use three of the its most popular monsters from the Godzilla universe.

1. john says:

A 3D screening in the multiplex, overall impression is that the screen is a bit murky, and the images are slightly muted, less natural than THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAM 2 (2014, 6/10). 2014 marks the 60th birthday of this made-in-Japan mega-monster, GODZILLA, a Hollywood revival directed by Gareth Edwards, whose mini-budget feature debut MONSTERS (2010) secures him the foray into presiding a mammoth mainstream production and the upshot is a satisfactory visual spectacle, potently depicts an catastrophic final melee in San Francisco but a flaccid script shortchanges its solid cast.

read rest of the review on my blog, goggle cinema omnivore.

2. Steven NYC says:

More Toho monsters to be ruined.

3. barry hayden says:

When will King Kong and Godzilla have their re-match? Guellermo de Toro’s Kong will be used in lieu of Jackson’s? Will [his] Kong be much larger, taller, more aggressive…and all ’round not too nice where Godzilla is the nice one?

4. Alex says:

I would like to see destroya in Godzilla part 2.Since. destroya didn’t die in Godzilla vs destroya

5. mike says:

I would like to see more godzilla and more action in the sequal.
    Also would like michael bay to direct all godzilla movies,he will diliver lots of action.

6. LANDO'S SON says:

I absolutely loved the new 2014 Godzilla,it is so far my favorite movie of this summer,and my second favorite of this year,only behind Captain America:The Winter Soldier.

7. ExpectingMore,leftDisappointed says:

I wasn’t expecting Godzilla 2014 to be about a soldier making his way back to his distraught wife. I did expect epic battle scenes and with extensive destruction of cities. But, the action I expected was a side show. I am already planning on not going to this next Godzilla. If anyone at Variety has contact with the makers of this next Godzilla please relay the message to them that there MUST be lots of epic battles between Godzilla and the creatures, plus smashing and smashing of cities. It’s what these movies are supposed to be about. The “human element” needs to be the side show.

• ExpectingMore,leftDisappointed says:

Also…..
      eventually there needs to be a King Kong vs. Godzilla movie—with no holds barred, with several 5 to 10 minute battle scenes. If that movie does happen PLEASE SPARE NO EXPENSE!

8. Arthur Kuo says:

The name of the creature is Radon, not Rodan, come on~

9. ART says:

Classy move by Toho. Giving another american company a chance to do something with a franchise that truly deserves a make over (not bashing it, just saying it’s such a great commodity, why not?). Truly loved this Godzilla movie. It’s my favorite. It even had that kind of classic ‘magic’ the originals did that I can’t really explain, but never got corny at all and never felt too ‘dark’.

10. valhallaarwen says:

I think Toho wanted to make sure that the first one went well and wasn’t messed up like the NY Godzilla. I am happy to see that happening. I loved this Godzilla soo much. I even took my 81 year old mom to see it and she loved it.

11. Hmmm so maybe they’re going straight to the King Ghidorah is too strong for Godzilla to fight alone thing?

12. Ken says:

Rodan? Great! Just leave Aaron Taylor-Johnson out of the mix, please.

13. cxg says: