×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Cecchi Gori, Martin Scorsese Settle Dispute Over ‘Silence’

A settlement has been reached in Cecchi Gori Pictures’ lawsuit against Martin Scorsese, claiming he had breached an agreement to direct “Silence” as his next movie.

The “matter has been settled in its entirety,” according to minutes from a proceeding in Los Angeles Superior Court on Jan. 17.

Niels Juul, the CEO of Cecchi Gori, said that they have an agreement “in principle” and are working out the final details. He declined to elaborate until the final settlement is reached, with it scheduled to be presented to the court on March 20.

“We have has this parallel great relationship (with Scorsese) where we have been working actively to make sure the film moves forward,” Juul said. “In every family there is disagreement on certain issues.”

He added, “When everything was said and done, there was just a great script and a great movie and a great director.”

Since the suit was filed, Scorsese has been casting for “Silence.” The movie is expected to start shooting in August, Juul said.

Attorneys for Cecchi Gori filed suit against Scorsese on Aug. 22, claiming the helmer had breached an agreement to direct “Silence” as his next pic. According to court docs, producers sunk more than $750,000 into development of the picture, which they claim Scorsese agreed to direct more than twenty years ago. As it turned out, Scorsese’s next project was “The Wolf of Wall Street” starring Leonardo DiCaprio, but Scorsese has since been casting for “Silence.”

A rep for Scorsese could not immediately be reached. But the director’s reps last August called the lawsuit “absurd” considering that he has an “amicable” working relationship with the production company. “The claims asserted are completely contradicted by, inconsistent with, and contrary to the express terms of an agreement entered into by the parties last year,” Scorsese’s statement said.

“Silence” tells the tale of a 17th century Jesuit missionary and is based on a book by Japanese author Shusako Endo.

A number of financial difficulties have beleagured Cecchi, which was Italy’s top production and distribution shingle until the mid 1990s, during the past few years. Two years ago the company had to battle bankruptcy proceedings in Italy, which included the auctioning off of the company’s 300-title library which included Oscar-winning pics “Life is Beautiful,” “Il Postino” and Vittorio Gassman starrer “Il Sorpasso.” Juul was brought in to revive the company, with “Silence” among its projects.

More Film

  • Shailene Woodley probation Dakota Pipeline protest

    Cannes: Infotainment China Media Snaps Up "Misanthrope"

    Chinese sales and distribution company Infotainment China Media has bought the China rights to “Misanthrope,” the new serial killer thriller starring Shailene Woodley, from FilmNation Entertainment at Cannes. Woodley (“Big Little Lies”, the “Divergent” franchise”) will play a cop recruited by the FBI to hunt down a murderer. Damian Szifron (“Wild Tales”) and Jonathan Wakeham [...]

  • Watch Karen O & Danger Mouse’s

    Watch Karen O & Danger Mouse’s ‘Encounter With Lux Prima’ Documentary (EXCLUSIVE)

    Karen O & Danger Mouse’s “Lux Prima” is one of the year’s best albums so far — but it’s more than an album. “An Encounter with Lux Prima – The Art of Collaboration,” a short documentary chronicling the 18-month development of their multisensory art installation “An Encounter With Lux Prima” premieres today exclusively on Variety. [...]

  • Willem Dafoe Talks 'The Lighthouse' and

    Willem Dafoe on His New Films 'The Lighthouse' and 'Tommaso,' Robert Pattinson as Batman

    Willem Dafoe has spent the last two awards seasons on the campaign trail. The actor earned back-to-back Oscar nominations for his work in 2017’s “The Florida Project” and for last year’s “At Eternity’s Gate.” And if the critical reaction to “The Lighthouse” is any indication, he’ll be back on it soon. “The Lighthouse” is director [...]

  • Official First Look at the Women

    'Terminator: Dark Fate': Linda Hamilton, Arnold Schwarzenegger Return in First Trailer

    The Resistance’s war against Skynet rages on with the sixth installment of the “Terminator” series, “Terminator: Dark Fate.” The first trailer for the latest movie dropped on Thursday. The clip opens with two franchise newcomers, Mackenzie Davis and Natalia Reyes, as they’re being pursued by a Terminator (Gabriel Luna), one that seems to have some [...]

  • Malcom McLaren’s Son Joe Corré Preps

    Malcom McLaren’s Son Joe Corré Preps ‘Wake Up Punk’ Feature Doc (EXCLUSIVE)

    Malcolm McLaren and Vivienne Westwood’s son Joe Corré has voiced his opposition to a Sex Pistols feature film in the works, and is about to launch his own project, “Wake Up Punk.” The feature documentary will follow events after his decision to burn punk memorabilia worth millions of pounds. John Lydon has already tweeted that [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content