Captain America to Battle Superman, Batman at Box Office

Captain America the Winter Soldier Movie

Disney and Marvel have officially dated “Captain America 3” for May 6, 2016 — the same date as Warner Bros.’ untitled Superman-Batman movie.

Marvel made the announcement on its web site following a record-setting U.S. debut for “Captain America: The Winter Soldier.” The sequel took in $203.3 million worldwide over the weekend, with an estimated $96.2 million domestically, for the  largest U.S. debut ever in April.

To date, “Winter Soldier” has grossed $300 million-plus worldwide.

It’s widely anticipated that one of the two tentpoles will move off the May 6, 2016, date since they would no doubt cannibalize each other if both opened at the same time.

Monday’s announcement underlines the confidence that Marvel and Disney execs have in the “Captain America” franchise — and their expectation that Warner will vacate the date. WB’s “Man of Steel” grossed $668 million worldwide.

The move comes three months after Warner Bros. had announced it would release its Superman-Batman movie on May 6, 2016 — moving it back from July 17, 2015 — meaning that Superman-Batman would square off against a Marvel film that Disney-Marvel had not yet announced.

At the time, Warners said the decision was made to “help fully realize the vision.”

Speculation had emerged since then that the third “Captain America” would be the Disney-Marvel title on the date.

Production is currently under way in Michigan on the Superman-Batman film starring Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck, with Zach Snyder directing. The tentpole also stars Jesse Eisenberg, Jeremy Irons, Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane, in addition to Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman/Diana Prince.

UPDATE — Warner Bros. has confirmed a statement by domestic distribution chief Dan Fellman to Bloomberg News, in which he said there are no plans to shift the date:

“It doesn’t make a lot of sense for two huge superhero films to open on the same date but there is a lot of time between now and 5/6/16. However at this time, we are not considering a change of date for ‘Batman vs. Superman.’”

1. Mr.DC says:

I want to see Superman thrash Batman in this upcoming movie, because it is labeled Superman vs Batman. If they battle for a few minutes and become friends then I really don’t have an interest to watch this much anticipated movie. It will suck. I’m sure wonder woman will come between the two just when Superman is ready to knock Batman out of his misery, lol, then the show is over for me, they better not fail me on this one. The plot for this movie will be disappointing I’m guessing already. Marvel is kicking our as*** right now and we got to deliver. nuff said.

2. Errol says:

Although there are benefits to taking creatine, there are many people that it has no effect on (Ironman
    18). Females doing stage walks to fast, upbeat music usually walk with the music’s tempo and forget to slow down and
    take their time on stage. It’s called poaching and it’s a great way to make meats tender and take on the flavors of the liquid.

3. Garrett says:

I think Batman Vs Superman is gonna take the box office that weekend, just because its something that hasn’t been done on the big screen before and people are gonna want to see how it turns out

4. Cap3 can’t where Superman’s shoes! MOS2 got my vote!

5. Jack says:

At the end of captin America the winter soldir Captin America is looking for Bucky barns

6. http://captainamerican.weebly.com/ I saw Full movie in there , HOpe you fun with my share : Captain America 2:

7. Cody says:

I think The Dark Knight is still the best superhero movie today. The acting and movie itself was phenomenal.. I don’t think just because a movie gets more money then another that it is better. For example. I’m pretty sure The Avengers made more money then The Dark Knight did, but TDK blew The Avengers away.

8. Kermann says:

Wait, I thought Marvel had already booked that date. Not only that, but they had done it months ahead of WB. I seem to recall seeing that the day after WB announced their move to the date, that Marvel revealed that it would be Cap 3 that was going to occupy the slot.

And now all of a sudden they *just* revealed it? Something’s fishy here, and I’m not talking about the contents of Baldrick’s apple crumble.

9. It’s difficult to find educated people about this subject, however, you sound like you know what you’re talking about!
    Thanks

10. Steve says:

I think I’ll be going with the Captain’s orders…

11. This website was… how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I’ve found something which helped me.

Kudos!

12. Jared says:

Did Variety just say that $668 million was a non-blockbuster performance?

• jaykayDX says:

If the movie in question was predicted to break 1 Billion worldwide – then yes, 668 is disappointing ….

• norbert says:

Actually the studio wasn’t expecting 1bill at the box office, 1bill was predicted after its first weekend by some pundits, moreover it wasn’t a sequel or prequel..it was a remake…668 is pretty cool.

13. Jew says:

You watch one of them will move dates far away from each other it will change. I think people will be more interested in seeing how Ben Alfec does as Batman that alone will bring in lots of money.

14. I think you’re a bit behind on the news. The date was announced months ago for a Marvel movie, and last month it was made official that it’d be Cap3. After that was announced, DC then pushed their movie back to that date. So…Marvel claimed it first.

15. After Captain America 2 hit it so Out Of The Park, DC Comics and WB have got to be pissing in their pants. The Lantern Movie was so very bad (and Im a huge DC Golden/Silver Age Fan). You know the Siegal and Shuster families are working to get Superman free of DC and under the Marvel/Disney wing.Just saying.

16. Brent says:

Don’t get me wrong, I actually like both Marvel and DC films but Disney’s arrogance sucks. Disney labels Man of Steel as a non-blockbuster movie with $668 million box office earnings. That movie has outgrossed almost every Marvel/Disney movie that they released in the past few years with the exception of The Avengers and Iron Man 3 (Iron Man-$585m ,Iron Man 2-$623m ,Captain America 1-$370m ,Captain America 2-$300m+ ,Thor-$449m ,Thor 2-$644m)

17. Brent says:

If the $668m Man of Steel is a non-blockbuster movie then what do you call your $370m Captain America 1 and $300m Captain America 2? Very funny Disney

• natasha says:

With all due respect, the $300m figure for cap 2 is what the movie earned over just two weeks, (and one weekend, for america). You’re using the current box office collection to your advantage so you can support a point, which irks me. If you want to insult Marvel, then at least wait for the final box office record to come out so you can get your facts right. Or perhaps by then you might have re-evaulated your opinions about captain america 2, because judging from your tone, you don’t think very highly of it.

• Brent says:

I actually liked the 2nd Capt. America movie (I actually enjoyed it more than the Avengers) it wasn’t childish like the other Disney/Marvel movies. Yes I know it’s the current box office collection (i think its $470m right now) I have nothing against that movie the only thing that I’m pissed about is Disney’s arrogance. I might have conveyed a different message with my tone but what I really want to say is that Disney shouldn’t show that much arrogance since most of their movies earned less than $668m.

18. james reid says:

man of steel was a non-bockbuster, are you serious?

19. joao says:

CAP WIN.. EASY EASY EASY EASY..

20. Marco says:

Batman vs Superman gets my vote… cos it has Diane Lane in it.

21. John Shea says:

$668,000,000 easily busts any block!

22. Bruce Wayne says:

I don’t care much for Superman movies at all or the character but I liked Zack Synders take on it,Batman has always been my favorite character and movies. I didn’t see both Captain America movies in theaters and not planning on seeing 2nd one I’ll wait for blu-ray obviously I won’t be seeing the 3rd one, so another vote here for Batman,Superman movie.

23. MJzAngel says:

I love Batman, but I love the Marvel universe more and I hope they slay DC.

24. bryan says:

Marvel will win. As much as I am a Superman fan they are or already have messed up that movie big time!!

25. RandomComicFan says:

Even if Man of Steel 2 turned out to be the better movie (like The Dark Knight rises vs Iron Man 3 or Thor 2), Marvel’s movies are more family friendly than DC’s.
    It really wouldn’t matter what rating either one got, and besides, MoS2 already has a bad rep because 1. people constantly compare MoS to the old Superman movies instead of its relation to source material and 2. people have a bias against Zach Snyder and Ben Affleck.

Personally, I’m happy Winter Soldier was so great. After Avengers Marvel’s movies have been meh. DC takes a long time to release movies but the one time they released a Marvel-tone movie (Green Lantern) it didn’t
    turn out to be that great. TDK and MoS had more interesting villains/plots/atmospheres than the majority of the Marvelverse. Look at DC and you’ve got Zod and the Kryptonians plus all the villains from Dark Knight.
    Marvel’s got Loki. I don’t count Winter Soldier because we all know he’ll end up being an antihero.

• rms1994 says:

Not to mention that Warner Bros./DC already has a hit show in Arrow, plus they’ve got The Flash, Gotham and Constantine coming up next. And they’ve already got a bigger presence in videogames vs Marvel with their DC Universe Online and Infinite Crisis, as well as the Batman: Arkham series and Injustice: Gods Among Us. So it really depends on whether you’re looking at sales or quality content.
      Not that Marvel hasn’t given us quality, but it seems like they’ve been going for quantity.

26. Mike says:

Warner Brothers will end up moving from this date. Marvel continues to show no signs of slowing down, and with Cap 2 doing as well as it did, they will not want to go up against it. A movie having Batman and Superman is huge, but it is not as big as people think. Cap 3 will follow the trend of Marvel sequels and will make over 100 million easy on this date. If Man of Steel 2 stays, it will have to settle for second place, a good second place, but still second place. Further more, they would be stupid to release against another huge movie because you are going to make people choose which movie to see, and the major studios usually never let that happen with movies this big. Plus, I also think that it is ridiculous that they are waiting three years after Man of Steel to release their 2nd movie in their franchise. Marvel will have released 6 movies, counting Cap 3, by the time MOS 2 comes out. Get in the game Warner Brothers, because where I am standing, you have all ready lost.

27. Chelsea says:

I think that both movies will do well in the box office because we all love how Mavel cinematic universe is doing well and WB Man of Steel sequel has Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and other DC charaters on the big screen in the same movie, so the real question is what movie will you see first.

28. Can Disney & Warner Bros let us know when they stop measuring dicks? That’s just arrogance from Marvel/Disney’s part. I’m personally more interested in seeing Batman VS Superman PLUS Wonder Woman’s first big screen appearance than CA3. I love Marvel, but Warner Bros has my vote on this one.

• Russ says:

Marvel have been jerks about this date all along. They’re going for a “we had it first!” attitude, but they had it for Untitled Marvel Studios Movie because they basically just called “dibs” and sat on it for a year to prevent Sony putting a Spider-man picture there.