×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Bryan Singer’s Accuser Drops Sexual Abuse Lawsuit

The sexual abuse suit against Bryan Singer has been dropped by accuser Michael Egan, four months after the “X-Men: Days of Future Past” director was accused of abusing Egan when he was a minor in the late 1990s.

A federal judge in Hawaii, where the case was filed, granted Egan’s motion for voluntary dismissal Wednesday.

Egan had previously dropped his sexual abuse lawsuits against former Disney executive David Neuman and former TV exec Garth Ancier. He had been representing himself in his filing of a motion to dismiss the claim against Singer.

Egan was left without counsel after his attorney, Jeff Herman, announced on July 29 that he was seeking to withdraw from the case, saying that relations with his client had “deteriorated.” Mark Gallagher, retained to represent Egan in Hawaii, also asked to be removed from the case.

On Aug. 6 a federal judge granted their requests to withdraw.

Herman, who staged several high-profile news conferences in April, withdrew from the case shortly after a Buzzfeed report that he and Singer’s lawyer, Martin Singer, had agreed to settle the lawsuit for $100,000 but Egan refused.

Herman’s firm filed one other suit against Singer — by an unidentified British plaintiff — but that case was voluntarily withdrawn in July.

In a statement to Variety last month, Martin Singer (no relation to Bryan Singer) said that “Bryan and his team will continue to fight to clear his name and intend to pursue charges of malicious prosecution against Egan.” He called Egan and Herman’s case “an attempted shakedown of Bryan Singer.”

Ancier filed a malicious prosecution suit in June against Egan and Herman.

Egan made four claims in each suit — intentional infliction of emotional distress, assault, battery and invasion of privacy by unreasonable intrusion. Each of the suits recounts in explicit detail the sexual acts that allegedly took place between Egan and each of the men.

The Egan suits were filed in federal court in Hawaii, which had an April 24 cutoff date for old sex abuse cases to be filed under a two-year window established by the state legislature, which temporarily suspended the statute of limitations in civil sex abuse cases.

 

More Film

  • Roman Polanski

    Roman Polanski Sues Film Academy to Be Reinstated

    Film director Roman Polanski is suing the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, demanding reinstatement to the prestigious organization after he was expelled last May. The suit, filed in the state of California, says AMPAS did not follow proper protocol in dismissing him nearly a year ago. The Academy did so “in accordance with [...]

  • Lorraine Warren dead

    Lorraine Warren, Paranormal Investigator Who Inspired 'The Conjuring,' Dies at 92

    Lorraine Warren, paranormal investigator and demonologist whose life inspired franchises like “The Conjuring” and “The Amityville Horror,” has died. She was 92. Warren’s son-in-law Tony Spera confirmed the news. Spera said on Facebook, “She died peacefully in her sleep at home.” He continued, “She was a remarkable, loving, compassionate and giving soul. To quote Will [...]

  • THE EXORCIST

    'Exorcist' Star Max Von Sydow Doesn't Let Age Define His Roles

    Max von Sydow turned 90 this month, which is a milestone for most people, but age has always seemed incidental to the actor. When he played the elderly, frail Father Merrin in “The Exorcist,” von Sydow was 44 — meaning he was the same age Bradley Cooper is today. In the 1950s, von Sydow had [...]

  • 'Changing the Game' Documentary

    Watch the First Trailer for Trans Documentary 'Changing the Game' (EXCLUSIVE)

    Another hurdle for trans rights could quite literally be the track and field hurdle. Transgender student athletes are put in the spotlight in the forthcoming documentary “Changing the Game,” set to premiere at 2019 Tribeca Film Festival. Variety has the world premiere of the doc’s first teaser trailer, which gives an in-depth look into the [...]

  • 'Curse of La Llorona' Box Office

    Box Office: 'Curse of La Llorona' Conjures $2.8 Million on Thursday Night

    “The Curse of La Llorona,” the latest entry in Warner Bros. and New Line’s “Conjuring” universe, conjured $2.75 million from Thursday preview showings, while “Breakthrough,” a faith-based offering from Fox-Disney, brought in $1.5 million from its second day of screenings. “La Llorona’s” haul tops recent horror counterparts “Pet Sematary” and “Escape Room,” which each took [...]

  • Chinese Films Make the Cannes Lineup,

    Cannes: Chinese Films Make the Lineup, but Will They Make It to France?

    Cannes has chosen two mainland Chinese titles for its official selection: Diao Yinan’s “Wild Goose Lake,” in competition, and Zu Feng’s “Summer of Changsha,” for Un Certain Regard. Both films appear to have received the necessary official approvals from Chinese authorities to premiere overseas. But their journey to the Cote d’Azur is by no means [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content