HONG KONG – North Korea on Monday lashed out at Barack Obama, the FBI and Sony Pictures Entertainment as it once again denied any involvement in the corporate hacking that led to the cancellation of “The Interview.”
In a nearly 1,700-word press release from the National Defense Commission, North Korea said that it applauded the actions of the hackers, but denied any part in the covert activity. There was no further talk of a joint investigation into the hacking.
The statement said that North Korea “highly estimates the righteous action taken by the ‘guardians of peace,’ though it is not aware of their residence.”
At one point it seems to threaten the U.S. with an unspecified attack. “Our toughest counteraction will be boldly taken against the White House, the Pentagon and the whole U.S. mainland, the cesspool of terrorism, by far surpassing the ‘symmetric counteraction’ declared by Obama.”
North Korea said that Sony had “paid a due price” for its inappropriate film. “’The Interview’ is an undesirable and reactionary [film] justifying and inciting terrorism which should not be allowed in any country and any region… the movie is run through with a story agitating a vicious and dastardly method of assassinating a head of a legitimate sovereign state.”
The NDC described the FBI’s accusation of North Korea as the source of the hacking as “fabrication” and challenged the U.S. institution to divulge specific evidence, rather than saying that the malicious code is the same as that other in other cyber-attacks. It also denied charges of having hacked South Korea earlier this year.
“No matter how big and disgraceful the loss may be, the U.S. should not pull up others for no reason,” said the statement.