Jian Ghomeshi, a former radio host for Canadian broadcaster CBC, surrendered to Toronto authorities on Wednesday and has been charged with four counts of sexual assault and one count of choking.
Ghomeshi, 47, was released on bail after a court appearance several hours later.
Toronto police declined to release specific details about the charges, but a number of women have filed police complaints against him. He was fired from his job at the CBC on Oct. 26.
According to the Globe and Mail in Toronto, Ghomeshi posted a response to the allegations on Facebook, but it was later removed. He claimed that he had done nothing wrong and that “everything I have done has been consensual.”
Toronto police announced that they were conducting an investigation on Nov. 1. At that time, a police spokeswoman said that three women had contacted them. More women have since come forward in the media to allege physical or sexual abuse or harassment.
“Through a statement released to the media, we became aware that person or persons had viewed graphic evidence of physical injury to a woman,” a police spokeswoman said earlier this month. “As a result, we are requesting that any member of the public come forward with any video, photograph, social media chats relating to this investigation.”
On Tuesday, Ghomeshi withdrew a $55 million lawsuit he filed against the CBC after his firing, and instead will pursue a union grievance, according to the Globe and Mail.