×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Cannes: Medient Bows High-Tech Plan for Georgia Studio

Indian production company Medient Studios promises to revolutionize the process of filmmaking as it unveiled plans to build high-tech studio facilities in the U.S. state of Georgia in Cannes on May 15.

The 11-year-old OTC-listed company, which earlier this year acquired Munich, Germany-based sales agent Atlas Intl., also unveiled a slate of six indie movies.

Ground was broken last year on the first phase of Medient’s Studioplex site near Savannah, Ga., with physical construction commencing next week. The first soundstages will be complete by the end of the year, and additional facilities added over the subsequent three years.

The first phase of the complex will cost some $90 million to build. Medient said it had received $10 million investment from Effingham County Industrial Development Authority and a $40 million loan from India-U.S. post-production and visual effects company Prime Focus.

The Studioplex is designed to be an integrated campus that combines the best practices of a workflow pipeline. In addition to stages, the site will offer post-production, employee housing and robotics and is designed to be highly environmentally efficient.

Medient estimates that through technology and use of a permanent staff that works on multiple movies, production costs can be cut by 40%. That will either enable large-budget studio movies to reduce their production costs, or make indie productions more competitive.

“Workflow has not changed since the analog era,” said chairman and CEO Manu S. Kumaran. “We aim to take away the low skill elements of filmmaking and make workflow match the modern films of the digital era.”
Shooting of footage for games and multiple-language versions of visual effects-driven movies is expected to be standard working practise.

Kumaran said Medient did not specifically seek a base in the U.S., but was attracted to Georgia by the state’s tax and relaxed labor conditions. “It is a right-to-work state and it is one of the few states where rebates for the film industry do not have a sunset clause. If they expire after eight years, we would hope to have sufficient economies of scale by then.

“Pre-visualization is expensive, but the data is typically thrown away. We will use that data to drive robots (at the production stage) and for the actual visual effects,” said Kumaran.

“If you consider that the four main costs of making a movie are talent, equipment, crew and post-production, by building Studioplex we are investing in three of those elements and simply financing movies in a different way.”
Medient has produced 14 movies over its 11 years, including Indian drama “Mr. Singh/Mrs. Mehta” and British horror “Storage 24.”

By lowering costs Kumaran said the company also minimize the need for pre-sales of its own productions.

Medient/Atlas’ Cannes sales slate includes 4K nature documentary “The New Wilderness”; $12 million actioner “Kickback”; Savannah-set horror thriller “The Damned”; “Kilat,” a martial arts actioner from its Asian partner, Malaysia’s Tarantella Pictures; recently announced Indian political documentary “The Battle for Banares”; and Atlas Intl.’s “Der letzte mensch,” by Pierre-Henri Salfati starring Mario Adorf, Hannelore Elsner and Katharina Derr.

For “Kickback” it has non-contractual letters of intent from John Cusack, Famke Janssen, Mischa Barton, Sean Astin and Rutger Hauer.

More Biz

  • Discovery CEO David Zaslav Sees 2018

    Discovery CEO David Zaslav Sees 2018 Compensation Soar to $129.4 Million

    Discovery Inc. president-CEO David Zaslav is once again making headlines for an enormous compensation package. Zaslav’s 2018 compensation soared to $129.44 million in 2018, fueled by stock options and grants awarded as the longtime Discovery chief signed a new employment contract last July that takes him through 2023 at the cable programming group. Zaslav received [...]

  • Jonathan Lamy RIAA

    Jonathan Lamy Stepping Down From RIAA

    Jonathan Lamy, the Recording Industry Association of America’s longtime executive VP of communications and marketing, is stepping down from his post after 17 years, he announced today. As he put it in an email to Variety, “I started back in 2002, which means it’s been 17+ years, four different RIAA CEOs, three format changes and [...]

  • Fox Layoffs

    Disney-21st Fox Layoffs: TV Divisions Brace for Deep Cuts

    A second day of layoffs has begun on the Fox lot in the wake of Disney completing its acquisition of 21st Century Fox on Wednesday. Longtime 20th Century Fox Television Distribution president Mark Kaner is among the senior executives who were formally notified with severance details on Friday morning. 21st Century Fox’s international TV sales [...]

  • anthony pellicano

    Hollywood Fixer Anthony Pellicano Released From Federal Prison

    Anthony Pellicano, the Hollywood private eye whose wiretapping case riveted the industry a decade ago, was released from a federal prison on Friday, a prison spokeswoman confirmed. Pellicano was sentenced in 2008 to 15 years, following his conviction on 78 charges of wiretapping, racketeering, conspiracy and wire fraud. He had been in custody since 2003, [...]

  • This image taken from the Twitter

    HBO’s Reaction to Trump’s ‘Game of Thrones’ Campaign

    Everyone wants a piece of the “Game of Thrones” lemon cake. From Bud Light to Red Bull the world of Westeros is open to a lot of brand partnerships, unless you’re using that iconic typeface to push a political agenda. In November of 2018 President Donald Trump unveiled a “Thrones” inspired poster with the words [...]

  • Leaving Neverland HBO

    'Leaving Neverland' Lawsuit Proves to Be a Judicial Hot Potato

    The Michael Jackson estate sued HBO last month for airing the documentary “Leaving Neverland,” which accuses the late King of Pop of serial child sexual abuse. Since then, the case has had a difficult time finding a judge to handle it. Three federal judges have recused themselves in the last week, citing potential financial conflicts [...]

  • Members of the public mourn at

    Guy Oseary’s New Zealand Fundraiser Nears $150,000, Continues Raising Money

    In the wake of the horrific shootings at New Zealand mosques last week that killed some 49 people, Maverick chief Guy Oseary launched a GoFundMe campaign to “support those affected by this tragedy at this very difficult time,” and began it with an $18,000 donation. Boosted by donations from many celebrities — including Amy Schumer, [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content