Malaysia is primed to become one of the next film hubs in the East. Pinewood’s Iskandar Malaysia Studios, just added to the country’s production infrastructure, has pulled in big-budget projects such as the Netflix/Weinstein Co. series “Marco Polo.” Legendary Pictures’ upcoming “Blackhat,” helmed by Michael Mann and starring Chris Hemsworth, was the first to use Malaysia’s recently introduced cash rebate.
– 30% cash rebate on qualifying Malaysian production expenditure
– $2.3m funding cap on any single cast or crew salary
– $1.5m minimum spend, inclusive of post-production
– $450,000 minimum spend for post-only activity
– 30% – portion of crew that must be Malaysian citizens or residents
– 3 to 7 – number of crew trainees required per project, depending on production budget
Information courtesy of EP Financial Solutions, a production incentive consulting and financial services company.