×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Time Warner Cable Sued Over Spending on Lakers, Dodgers Rights

Class-action filing claims sports costs will be passed on to consumers

Time Warner Cable is being hit with a class action suit by four Southern California pay TV subscribers, who claim that the $11 billion the cable operator has paid for Lakers and Dodgers rights will be passed on to consumers, even those who have no interest in watching the games.

The suit, filed Tuesday in Los Angeles Superior Court, is the latest challenge to the cable industry to offer a la carte programming, or at least more options by customers in selecting among tiers of channels.

“There is no legitimate business, legal, technological, or economic reason why (TW Cable) cannot offer these Lakers and Dodgers games on a standalone channel basis so that only those subscribers who want and are willing to pay for them would do so and those who did not want these channels could ‘opt out,'” the suit stated.

The complaint asserts that TW Cable’s practice is an unfair method of competition and a violation of business and professions code. It claims that subscribers to other multichannel services, like DirecTV and Verizon, also are affected because TW Cable, in selling rights to the games to its competitors, requires that they be included in enhanced basic packages without the choice of opting out.

Also named in the suit were the Dodgers and the Lakers.

A spokesman for TW Cable said the company had no comment.

The suit was filed by four customers: Sherry Fischer, of Los Angeles; Stewart R. Graham of Pasadena; Todd Crow of Orange County; and Gavin McKiernan of Long Beach. Fischer is a Time Warner Cable subscriber, while Graham subscribes to Charter, Crow to DirecTV and McKiernan to Verizon.

Time Warner Cable acquired Lakers rights in February, 2011, for a reported $3 billion. The suit claims that the added cost has been passed on to subscribers at an additional cost of about $4 per month. The cabler acquired Dodgers rights in January, at a reported $8 billion, and the suit claims that the company will pass along costs next year at the rate of $4 to $5 per subscriber.

“In sum, (TW Cable) will extract from its customer base primarily in Southern California at least $11 billion to recoups its investment, and approximately 60% of this amount, or $6.6 billion, is extracted from individuals who do not want and do not watch and do not want to pay for Lakers and Dodgers telecasts and who, if given the option to do so, would opt out of such telecasts,” the suit stated.

Sen. John McCain (R-Arizona) has proposed legislation intended to spur the industry to offer channels on an a la carte basis, and in introducing the legislation, he noted the high costs of sports channels like ESPN. But the cable industry said that such a plan could have the opposite effect of merely raising rates for the most prized channels while a diverse array of smaller channels would flounder. Nevertheless, at the Cable Show last week, TW Cable CEO Glenn Britt suggested that the industry may need to offer a greater selection of tiers for consumers.

The suit was field by attorney Maxwell Blecher and Courtney Palko of Blecher, Collins, Pepperman & Joye.

More Biz

  • Discovery CEO David Zaslav Sees 2018

    Discovery CEO David Zaslav Sees 2018 Compensation Soar to $129.4 Million

    Discovery Inc. president-CEO David Zaslav is once again making headlines for an enormous compensation package. Zaslav’s 2018 compensation soared to $129.44 million in 2018, fueled by stock options and grants awarded as the longtime Discovery chief signed a new employment contract last July that takes him through 2023 at the cable programming group. Zaslav received [...]

  • Jonathan Lamy RIAA

    Jonathan Lamy Stepping Down From RIAA

    Jonathan Lamy, the Recording Industry Association of America’s longtime executive VP of communications and marketing, is stepping down from his post after 17 years, he announced today. As he put it in an email to Variety, “I started back in 2002, which means it’s been 17+ years, four different RIAA CEOs, three format changes and [...]

  • Fox Layoffs

    Disney-21st Fox Layoffs: TV Divisions Brace for Deep Cuts

    A second day of layoffs has begun on the Fox lot in the wake of Disney completing its acquisition of 21st Century Fox on Wednesday. Longtime 20th Century Fox Television Distribution president Mark Kaner is among the senior executives who were formally notified with severance details on Friday morning. 21st Century Fox’s international TV sales [...]

  • anthony pellicano

    Hollywood Fixer Anthony Pellicano Released From Federal Prison

    Anthony Pellicano, the Hollywood private eye whose wiretapping case riveted the industry a decade ago, was released from a federal prison on Friday, a prison spokeswoman confirmed. Pellicano was sentenced in 2008 to 15 years, following his conviction on 78 charges of wiretapping, racketeering, conspiracy and wire fraud. He had been in custody since 2003, [...]

  • This image taken from the Twitter

    HBO’s Reaction to Trump’s ‘Game of Thrones’ Campaign

    Everyone wants a piece of the “Game of Thrones” lemon cake. From Bud Light to Red Bull the world of Westeros is open to a lot of brand partnerships, unless you’re using that iconic typeface to push a political agenda. In November of 2018 President Donald Trump unveiled a “Thrones” inspired poster with the words [...]

  • Leaving Neverland HBO

    'Leaving Neverland' Lawsuit Proves to Be a Judicial Hot Potato

    The Michael Jackson estate sued HBO last month for airing the documentary “Leaving Neverland,” which accuses the late King of Pop of serial child sexual abuse. Since then, the case has had a difficult time finding a judge to handle it. Three federal judges have recused themselves in the last week, citing potential financial conflicts [...]

  • Members of the public mourn at

    Guy Oseary’s New Zealand Fundraiser Nears $150,000, Continues Raising Money

    In the wake of the horrific shootings at New Zealand mosques last week that killed some 49 people, Maverick chief Guy Oseary launched a GoFundMe campaign to “support those affected by this tragedy at this very difficult time,” and began it with an $18,000 donation. Boosted by donations from many celebrities — including Amy Schumer, [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content