×

‘One Life to Live’ Put on Hold Pending Producer’s Lawsuit Against ABC

Prospect Park suspends plans for 'OLTL' amid $25 million breach-of-contract suit against Alphabet net

“One Life to Live,” the soap reborn as an Internet series earlier this year, may not have any lives left.

Production company Prospect Park, which acquired the rights to “OLTL” and “All My Children” from ABC, has put plans for the next season of “One Life to Live” on hold pending the resolution of its breach-of-contract lawsuit against the Alphabet net, as first reported by the Los Angeles Times.

ABC and Prospect Park reps declined to comment.

SEE ALSO: Inside the Online Revival of ‘All My Children,’ ‘One Life to Live’

The ambitious, star-crossed efforts of Prospect Park to bring the soaps back as Internet serials — which preemed April 26 — has hit numerous snags, including labor disputes and challenges in getting financing.

In addition, Prospect Park sued ABC in April, alleging the Alphabet net killed off two “One Life to Live” characters and effectively killed off a third character to sabotage the online resurrection of the show. ABC called the suit, which seeks $25 million in damages, “baseless” and said it remained “very supportive of the online launch of both ‘One Life to Live’ and ‘All My Children.'”

Under the agreement between ABC and Prospect Park, the three “OLTL” characters were on loan to ABC’s “General Hospital.” Prospect Park claims ABC failed to consult with the studio on “GH” storylines involving them, which included characters Cole and Hope Thornhart dying when their car was forced off a cliff. Now, Prospect Park has shelved plans for resuming shooting on the show until the suit is resolved.

Less than a month after the debut of “AMC” and “OLTL” this spring, Prospect Park upset diehard fans by announcing it would reduce the sked for both shows from four eps weekly to two. The company said it made the change after viewers said they were having trouble keeping up with the faster pace.

Prospect Park aired the final ep of “OLTL” on Aug. 19, while the last episode of “All My Children” went up Sept. 2. Shows are available free on Hulu and Prospect Park’s TheOnlineNetwork website, and may be purchased on Apple’s iTunes.

The production company has not announced when the next run of “AMC” will return but has said production sked for that show has not changed.

SEE ALSO: ABC Calls Online Soaps Lawsuit ‘Baseless’

More TV

  • Baldvin-Z

    Iceland’s Baldvin Z Crime Series “Black Sands” Added to All3Media Slate (EXCLUSIVE)

    GÖTEBORG, Sweden  All3Media is to handle international rights on Icelandic crime series “Black Sands” which, currently in development, is to be pitched at the Göteborg Festival’s TV Drama Vision confab on Thursday. “Black Sands” marks the first crime thriller to be created by Icelandic helmer Baldvin Z (“Trapped”) since the hit series “Case.” Commissioned by [...]

  • Justin Timberlake performs onstage during the

    Ad Time in Fox's Super Bowl Was Sold Out. Until it Wasn't

    Fox declared in November that it had sold all the advertising time available in its looming February 2 broadcast of Super Bowl LIV. But just this week, it found a little more. After holding nearly two months’ worth of discussions, Fox and the National Football League have devised a way to add commercial inventory to [...]

  • NBC Orders Drama Pilot 'Ordinary Joe'

    NBC Orders Drama Pilot 'Ordinary Joe' From 'House' Alums

    NBC has given out its fifth drama pilot order for the 2020-2021 season. The broadcaster has commissioned “Ordinary Joe.” It explores the three parallel lives of the show’s main character after he makes a pivotal choice at a crossroads in his life. The series asks the question of how different life might look if you [...]

  • Bong Joon Ho 'Parasite' Director

    Listen: Who Will Take Home the Oscars for Best Director and Picture?

    The Oscars are just two weeks away, so it’s time to start making final predictions about who is going to win. On this week’s episode of “The Big Ticket,” Variety and iHeart’s movie podcast, I invited the magazine’s deputy awards and features editor (and my “Pick of the Week” co-host) Jenelle Riley onto the show [...]

  • Dazzler, Tigra, Hit-Monkey, and M.O.D.O.K.

    'Howard the Duck,' 'Tigra & Dazzler' Animated Marvel Shows Not Moving Forward at Hulu

    Marvel Television’s remaining slate continues to dwindle. Variety has confirmed that the animated shows “Howard the Duck” and “Tigra & Dazzler” — two of four animated Marvel projects set up at Hulu — are no longer in the works at the streamer. The other two shows, “M.O.D.O.K” and “Hit Monkey,” are currently still on track [...]

  • Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi movie

    After 'Star Wars' Obi-Wan Kenobi Delay, Is the Force Still Strong With Disney Plus?

    The issues on Disney Plus’ Obi-Wan Kenobi series are either a minor stumble or a portent of trouble ahead, depending on who you ask. It was reported on Thursday that series writer Hossein Amini was no longer attached to the project as Disney wished to overhaul the scripts. The move led to pre-production in London [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content