×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Court Lifts Ban on Lifetime’s ‘Chris Porco’ Movie

Docu after airing will include exclusive interview with Chris Porco

A New York appellate court lifted a judge’s ban on Lifetime’s airing or even marketing of a TV movie on Saturday after the convicted killer portrayed in the project filed suit claiming a violation of his right of publicity.

Lifetime’s legal team objected to a decision issued by a New York Supreme Court judge earlier this week that would have prevented the network from showing “Romeo Killer: The Chris Porco Story.” Legal observers predicted that the network would be successful in overturning the decision at the appellate level, given legal First Amendment precedent on “prior restraint” of creative content.

The film stars Matt Barr as Chris Porco, who is in prison after he was convicted of killing his father and severely maiming his mother.

The case is not over. Elizabeth Garry, associate justice for the New York appellate court, set and April 10 hearing on Porco’s effort to obtain an injunction.

Even then, however, some legal observers believe that Lifetime has a strong case. Porco cited a New York publicity rights statute that requires permission from a subject for the use of his or her image for “advertising purposes or the purposes of trade.” On Tuesday, Robert J. Muller, a judge of the Supreme Court of New York, accepted that argument in issuing a temporary restraining order that would have prevented the movie’s showing on Saturday. He said that Lifetime “appears to concede this movie is fictionalized.”

But Lifetime’s legal team said that would essentially allow anyone portrayed in a movie to stop it by claiming that it was fiction. Gary Bostwick, partner in Bostwick & Jassy who is not involved in the case, said that it is one thing to claim defamation and another to try to stop a project before it happens, the latter being a prior restraint that is “contrary to American case law.” California has a publicity rights statute, but there is case law giving First Amendment protection to “expressive works” whether they are factual or fictional and for matters in the public interest.

Along with Kelli Sager and Erwin Chemerinsky, Bostwick was recently on a Los Angeles County Bar Assn. panel called “Stop That Movie!” that delved into the ways that plaintiffs have tried to get around constitutional protections to stop entertainment projects. One of the issues discussed were state judges reading state statutes yet not giving enough credence to federal precedent.

Another matter in the Lifetime case is whether Porco could somehow prove damage to his reputation, given that he was convicted and is serving time in prison.

On a promotional front, the Lifetime case has some similarities to what happened with “American Tragedy,” a 2000 miniseries about the O.J. Simpson trial that Simpson unsuccessfully sought to halt CBS from airing. The network quickly promoted the project as the movie Simpson “doesn’t want you to see.”

TV Review: ‘Romeo Killer: The Chris Porco Story

In a press release announcing that the judge’s injunction had been lifted, Lifetime called the project the “Lifetime Original Movie Chris Porco doesn’t want you to see.” They also announced that a documentary will air after the movie, called “Beyond the Headlines: The Real Romeo Killer.” Included, Lifetime says, will be an exclusive interview with Porco and his ex-girlfriend. A Lifetime spokesman said the special was originally produced for CBS.

More Biz

  • Fox Layoffs

    Disney-21st Fox Layoffs: TV Divisions Brace for Deep Cuts

    A second day of mass layoffs has begun on the Fox lot in the wake of Disney completing its acquisition of 21st Century Fox on Wednesday. Longtime 20th Century Fox Television Distribution president Mark Kaner is among the senior executives who were formally notified with severance details on Friday morning. 21st Century Fox’s international TV [...]

  • anthony pellicano

    Hollywood Fixer Anthony Pellicano Released From Federal Prison

    Anthony Pellicano, the Hollywood private eye whose wiretapping case riveted the industry a decade ago, was released from a federal prison on Friday, a prison spokeswoman confirmed. Pellicano was sentenced in 2008 to 15 years, following his conviction on 78 charges of wiretapping, racketeering, conspiracy and wire fraud. He had been in custody since 2003, [...]

  • This image taken from the Twitter

    HBO’s Reaction to Trump’s ‘Game of Thrones’ Campaign

    Everyone wants a piece of the “Game of Thrones” lemon cake. From Bud Light to Red Bull the world of Westeros is open to a lot of brand partnerships, unless you’re using that iconic typeface to push a political agenda. In November of 2018 President Donald Trump unveiled a “Thrones” inspired poster with the words [...]

  • Leaving Neverland HBO

    'Leaving Neverland' Lawsuit Proves to Be a Judicial Hot Potato

    The Michael Jackson estate sued HBO last month for airing the documentary “Leaving Neverland,” which accuses the late King of Pop of serial child sexual abuse. Since then, the case has had a difficult time finding a judge to handle it. Three federal judges have recused themselves in the last week, citing potential financial conflicts [...]

  • Members of the public mourn at

    Guy Oseary’s New Zealand Fundraiser Nears $150,000, Continues Raising Money

    In the wake of the horrific shootings at New Zealand mosques last week that killed some 49 people, Maverick chief Guy Oseary launched a GoFundMe campaign to “support those affected by this tragedy at this very difficult time,” and began it with an $18,000 donation. Boosted by donations from many celebrities — including Amy Schumer, [...]

  • Cesar Sayoc Headshot

    Florida Man Pleads Guilty in CNN Pipe Bomb Case

    A Florida man pleaded guilty Thursday to sending pipe bombs to CNN and prominent critics of President Donald Trump. Cesar Sayoc appeared in federal court in New York, where he pleaded to 65 counts stemming from the mailing of 16 devices. He faces life in prison, plus 120 months, at his sentencing on Sept. 12. [...]

  • Tencent Profits Hit $1 Billion Per

    Tencent Profits Hit $1 Billion per Month as Company Loses Fizz

    Growing regulatory encroachments into its games business, a smaller than expected spin-off for its music division, and a fourth quarter profits drop, pointed to a troubling year for Chinese tech giant Tencent. Its financial results for the full 2018 period, while delivering profits of nearly $1 billion a month, appeared to bear out that thesis. [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content