×

Bob Newhart Wins First Emmy, Plans ‘Big Bang’ Return

Comic actor had given up on Emmys in past

Fresh off his first Emmy win in more than 50 years of performing, Bob Newhart said he wasn’t done appearing on “The Big Bang Theory.”

“There’s a script I’ll be doing in October, and I’m pretty sure I play Professor Proton in that,” Newhart said backstage after accepting his award – to a standing ovation – at the 2013 Creative Arts Emmys on Sunday. “But he might have given up his science thing. That’s up to Chuck (Lorre) and the writing team.”

Newhart said that in the past, he had resigned himself to never winning an Emmy.

“There were a couple years where I didn’t submit my name,” Newhart said. “I just felt that the kind of stuff I do doesn’t win awards. And I didn’t really want to go through the process and the disappointment. So maybe for six years, three of ‘The Bob Newhart Show’ and three of ‘Newhart,’ I didn’t bother submitting my name. That way I could sit at home and say, ‘I would have won.’

“The best answer is really, the years I was nominated, there were better people in the category than me. You could try to put it another way, but that’s the truth.”

But the pursuit by Lorre opened the door for Newhart’s Emmy breakthrough.

“Chuck Lorre had been after me,” Newhart said. “We had over the years talked about doing something – it finally was this year, and he said, ‘What will it take?’ I said, ‘It has to be in front of a live audience,’ because that’s all I’ve ever done. I don’t know how to do a show not in front of a live audience. So he said, how about “The Big Bang Theory,’ and I said, ‘Great,’ because I think it’s the best-written show on television. And I said I wanted it to be a recurring role – I didn’t want it to be one and out.”

In his usual softspoken manner, Newhart indicated that it was a special night.

“The standing ovation tonight really threw me,” Newhart said. “I was totally unprepared for that. This is from your peers.”

Popular on Variety

More TV

  • Elite Season 2

    San Sebastian: Spain’s SVOD Players Debate Competition, Brand, Talent

    SAN SEBASTIAN  — Executives from HBO, Netflix, Amazon and Movistar+ and “Elite” co-creator Darío Madrona took to the stage to field questions on the Global Impact of Spanish Series. Here, briefly, are five takeaways: 1.Spain First “La Casa de Papel” was watched by 34,355,956 Netflix accounts over its first seven days,  after a July 19 [...]

  • Samsung Makes Bid to Keep Viewers

    Samsung Makes Bid to Keep Viewers From Skipping Fox Ad Breaks

    Fox is hoping to knit together the seconds-long divide between a TV program and the commercials that support it. During ad breaks for a few football broadcasts, tomorrow’s run of the Emmys and Wednesday’s season premiere of “The Masked Singer,” the network will kick off ad sessions with special show promos that display artistic renderings [...]

  • Patria

    HBO Europe Unveils ‘Patria’ Footage to Captive San Sebastian Audience

    SAN SEBASTIAN — Amid large expectation, HBO Europe has revealed first footage giving a first sense of tone and pace of its Spanish original series “Patria.” A packed-to-overflowing press conference on Saturday morning at the San Sebastian Festival can be read as one sign of the potential popularity of the eight-part series. The panel sneak-peek [...]

  • Topic Studios

    Layoffs Hit Topic Studios as TV Division Relocates to West Coast (EXCLUSIVE)

    A small round of layoffs has hit Topic Studios this week in the television division, insiders familiar with the company told Variety. One of the insiders said three executives at the New York-based producer and distributor are out: senior vice president of scripted programming and Viacom alum Lisa Leingang, vice president of development Mona Panchal [...]

  • Peter Weber and Mike Johnson

    'The Bachelor's' Mike Johnson on Diversity and New Leading Man Peter Weber

    ABC named its newest star of “The Bachelor” this week, officially making Peter Weber the leading man for Season 24 of the long-running dating show. Social media backlash ensued following the announcement due to ABC’s selection lacking diversity, yet again. Since the dating franchise began in 2002, there has been only one “Bachelorette” of color [...]

  • ABC Studios Logo

    ABC Studios Head of Alternative Fernando Hernandez Exits

    ABC Studios’ head of alternative Fernando Hernandez has departed from his post at the Disney-owned television studio, a source familiar with the situation told Variety. The Hollywood Reporter first reported the news. Hernandez’s exit follows an executive shuffling at the top in recent months that has included the departure of Amy Hartwick, ABC Studio’s head [...]

  • Rob Cowan, Greg Silverman'The Conjuring 2'

    Greg Silverman’s Stampede, School of Rock Team for Unscripted Series (EXCLUSIVE)

    Former president of Warner Bros. Pictures Greg Silverman is partnering with School of Rock through his content creation company Stampede. The collaboration with the music school will create exclusive content, starting with the development of an unscripted series.  School of Rock operates a network of performance-based education franchises that offer students of all ages guidance [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content