×

ITV Takes 65% Stake in ‘Hatfields & McCoys’ Producer

Thinkfactory Media deal worth $30 million

LONDON — ITV has acquired a controlling stake in U.S. shingle Thinkfactory Media, which produces shows such as Kevin Costner starrer “Hatfields & McCoys.”

The acquisition, which sees another significant step in ITV’s strategy for building an international content business, sees ITV pay $30 million for a 65% stake in Thinkfactory Media, with a put and call option to buy the remaining 35% of the company.

The put and call option can be exercised from between three years after the initial deal and at the end of year five, with the total amount paid linked to the performance of the company over that period.

Thinkfactory marks yet another U.S. acquisition for ITV: In May, it bought a controlling stake in U.S. reality producers High Noon Entertainment for $39 million and in December, it acquired 61.5% of U.S. shingle Gurney Prods., best known for “Duck Dynasty.”

And the outfit continues to beef up its ITV Studios America.

L.A.-based Thinkfactory Media was founded in 1992 by Hollywood producer Leslie Greif. Its portfolio includes reality and entertainment shows such as “R&B Divas,” “Preachers’ Daughters,” “Marriage Bootcamp: Bridezillas” and “The Hook Up” as well as a new drama series “Texas Rangers” for the History Channel, which also aired “Hatfields & McCoys.”

“We’re gathering real momentum in building a substantial U.S. presence, which is central to our strategy of creating a strong international content business,” said ITV chief exec Adam Crozier. “The acquisition of Thinkfactory Media is clearly a further significant step forward in achieving that goal.”

Greif said: “While retaining the independent spirit that keeps Thinkfactory Media creative, this relationship not only allows us to continue producing top-quality scripted and unscripted content, but enhances the potential for global distribution and our continued success in the marketplace.”

More TV

  • Kobe Bryant Staples Center memorial

    Kobe Bryant Mourners Gather Outside Staples Center to Remember Basketball Great

    Within hours of the news of Kobe Bryant’s death breaking, a fast-growing crowd of about two hundred people had gathered outside of the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Sunday to mourn the Lakers legend, who died earlier that day in a helicopter crash. Chants of “Kobe! Kobe!” broke out spontaneously outside of the sports [...]

  • Tanya Tucker and Brandi Carlile -

    Tanya Tucker Wins First Grammys, 47 Years After First Nomination

    Country music legend Tanya Tucker picked up her first two wins at the 62nd annual Grammy Awards on Sunday at the Los Angeles Convention Center. The 61-year-old singer won for best country song for “Bring My Flowers Now” and best country album for “While I’m Livin’.” “After 50 years in this business, I have a [...]

  • Kobe Bryant death

    News and Sports Outlets Scramble to Cover Kobe Bryant's Death

    Kobe Bryant’s shocking death forced major TV news and sports outlets to scramble on Sunday to cover the helicopter crash in Southern California that took the life of the legendary 41-year-old basketball star,  his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, and seven others. From the BBC to Fox News, Bryant’s death dominated coverage as soon as word surfaced [...]

  • Grammy placeholder

    Grammys Winners 2020: The Full List (Updating Live)

    The 62nd annual Grammy Awards kick off Sunday afternoon at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. This year’s top nominees include Lizzo, Billie Eilish and Lil Nas X, whom are all scheduled to perform on the primetime telecast, in addition to Ariana Grande, Camila Cabello, Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani and more. The Grammys pre-show [...]

  • Lil Nas X Variety Cover Story

    Lil Nas X as Fashion Icon: The Rapper Runs Down Some of His Top Looks

    Already anointed a style icon by W magazine for “exploring uncharted territory in men’s fashion” and “redefining masculine expression,” Lil Nas X counted year-end best-dressed lists among his 2019 streaming and airplay accolades. Describing his fashion sense as “very experimental,” the rapper runs down a few of his top looks from last year. MTV Video [...]

  • Christopher Cross Grammys 1981

    Christopher Cross' 1981 Grammy Sweep Was the Best That He Would Do

    In the history of the Academy Awards, only three films have won the Hollywood equivalent of the royal flush — collecting statues for best picture, director, actor, actress and screenplay — and it’s safe to say all have held up fairly well: “It Happened One Night,” “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” and “The Silence [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content