×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Universal Options ‘On the Job’ for Baltasar Kormakur and Scott Stuber (EXCLUSIVE)

Kormakur will write, direct and produce

Universal Pictures has optioned the rights to crime thriller “On the Job,” with Baltasar Kormakur on board to write and direct and Scott Stuber on board to produce.

Kormakur will also produce for his RVK Studios while Stuber will produce through his Universal-based Bluegrass Films banner. XYZ Films partners Nate Bolotin, Nick Spicer and Aram Tertzakian will also produce.

While some inspiration for the concept came from Erik Matti’s Filipino movie “On The Job,” Kormakur actually had already begun developing a project based on the same events as “On The Job” with XYZ Films before the Filipino film began production.

The pic is based on the real-life scandal where prison inmates were temporarily released from prison to work as contract killers on behalf of politicians and high ranking military officials.

XYZ Films handled worldwide sales and the film is now in release through Well Go USA in North America. It premiered at Cannes this year in the Directors Fortnight.

The remake and Kormakur’s involvement were reported this summer, but at the time the film didn’t have a studio to call home.

Nick Nesbitt, who brought the project in to Bluegrass Films, will oversee the project. Kyle Franke will oversee on behalf of XYZ Films while Universal’s vice president of production Anikah McLaren will oversee on behalf of the studio.

Universal and Kormakur have already seen good returns with “Contraband” and “2 Guns” and teaming him up with one of the studio’s top producers could lead to even bigger results.

Kormakur has been busy developing several projects including the Working Title pic “Everest” starring Josh Brolin and Jake Gyllenhaal. Stuber has seen big results on the comedy end with “Ted” and “Identity Thief.”

His action thriller “Safe House,” which could have similarities to “On the Job,” also hit big making more than $200 million worldwide.

XYZ Films and CAA co-brokered the underlying rights deal with Universal on behalf of the producers of On The Job.

Kormakur is repped by WME and attorney Peter Nelson. Matti is represented by CAA and attorney Chris Spicer.

More Film

  • Zach Galifianakis Jerry Seinfeld Netflix

    Film News Roundup: Zach Galifianakis' 'Between Two Ferns: The Movie' Coming to Netflix

    In today’s film news roundup, “Between Two Ferns: The Movie” is unveiled, “Friedkin Uncut” gets a fall release and Sony Classics buys “The Traitor” at Cannes. MOVIE RELEASES Netflix has set a Sept. 20 release date for Zach Galifianakis’ “Between Two Ferns: The Movie,” based on his 11-year-old talk show. Galifianakis made the announcement during [...]

  • Romanian Crime-Thriller 'The Whistlers' Bought for

    Romanian Crime-Thriller 'The Whistlers' Bought for North America

    Magnolia Pictures has bought North American rights to the Romanian crime thriller “The Whistlers” following its premiere in competition at the Cannes Film Festival. Written and directed by Corneliu Porumboiu, the film stars Vlad Ivanov, Catrinel Marlon, Rodica Lazar, Antonio Buil, Agustí Villaronga, Sabin Tambrea, Julieta Szonyi and George Pisterneanu. Magnolia is eyeing a theatrical [...]

  • Naomi Scott Talks Rebooting Princess Jasmine

    'Aladdin': Naomi Scott on Why Her Princess Jasmine Needed Nasim Pedrad's New Character

    Call Naomi Scott the queen of the reboot – or at least, the princess. The 26-year-old actress is taking on the role of Princess Jasmine in Disney’s live-action remake of “Aladdin,” but it’s not her first time jumping into a role that’s already been well-established. Audiences may recognize Scott from 2017’s “Power Rangers” update, where [...]

  • Moby Natalie Portman

    Moby Accuses Natalie Portman of Lying as the Two Spar Over Dating Claims

    In what’s become a he said/she said spat in multiple mediums, Moby, the elder statesman of electronic music, is now accusing actress Natalie Portman of lying and pleading to those on social media for his safety as “physical threats from complete strangers” emerge. To recap: this month, Moby released a new book, “Then It All [...]

  • A QUIET PLACE Emily Blunt

    'A Quiet Place' Sequel Moves Ahead Two Months to March 2020

    Paramount Pictures has moved its sequel to “A Quiet Place” ahead by two months from May 15 to March 20, 2020. John Krasinski is returning to direct the still-untitled movie with Emily Blunt, Millicent Simmonds and Noah Jupe reprising their roles. Cillian Murphy is joining the cast. “A Quiet Place” grossed $340 million at the [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content