×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

National Film Board of Canada Topper Exits With Time Left on Term

Perlmutter helped push org into digital age

Tom Perlmutter is stepping down as National Film Board chair and government film commissioner effective the end of this year, it was announced in a statement issued by the NFB Dec. 10.

The news comes as a surprise to many in the Canadian film community — who lit up social media hubs as word of the resignation spread — as Perlmutter’s second five-year term as commissioner of the was not set to end until 2017.

Perlmutter, who joined the NFB in 2001 as director general of its English program, will stay on as a strategic advisor. Assistant commissioner Claude Joli-Coeur will serve as interim commissioner during the appointment process for Perlmutter’s successor, which will start in 2014 .

In the statement, Perlmutter said he has been searching for a way to step back from the day-to-day responsibilities of the high-profile job to focus on thinking and writing about long-term issues affecting the art and public culture organizations.

“My deep engagement with the profound changes of the digital revolution made me acutely aware of how necessary it is to create a new framework of ideas for the ways in which we will need to think of, work in and finance cultural activities in the public sector,” stated Perlmutter, who will begin work on two books next year. “This is an ambitious undertaking which I believe I am uniquely qualified to take on and which I am convinced is fundamental to the future well-being of the country and its cultural agencies. But it is not something that can be done as an adjunct to my current work.”

Shortly after taking the NFB’s top job in 2007, Perlmutter initiated an ambitious digital transformation that coincided with a time of government cutbacks and funding freezes to major public cultural orgs. In addition to overseeing the digitization of the entire NFB film collection, and the creation of a free digital screening room and popular mobile apps, Perlmutter pushed for the studio to become a leader in transmedia production and storytelling: to date NFB projects have won seven Webbys and the studio has ongoing interactive projects with the New York Times and The Guardian.

At the 2013 Hot Docs festival, Perlmutter announced the NFB plans to launch a documentary subscription service via private-public partnerships.

After last year’s government budget cuts, Perlmutter shuttered public screenings rooms in Toronto and Montreal, and laid off more than 70 staff across the country.

Founded in 1939, the NFB receives an annual government grants of around CAN$67-million ($63 million) and earns $6.5 million each year from film and catalog sales, rentals and other transactional activities. The NFB produces docs, animation, experimental features and transmedia, often co-producing projects with independent companies and with other countries.

With his latest strategic plan well embedded, Perlmutter says, “I have the confidence that the seasoned core management team and staff can implement the ongoing changes necessary to ensure the NFB’s continued growth and leadership in innovation and creativity.”

Popular on Variety

More Film

  • Lucia-Puenzo-Julio-Hernandez-Cordón-and-Asier-Altuna

    Ventana Sur Announces 16 Projects for Second Proyecta Showcase

    Last year, Argentina’s Ventana Sur film and TV market and co-production forum launched its inaugural Proyecta feature project showcase. Co-organized by Ventana Sur and the San Sebastian Film Festival, Proyecta was established to aid in facilitation of international co-productions between Europe and Latin America. 16 feature film projects will participate this year, four of which [...]

  • Radioflash

    Film Review: 'Radioflash'

    It’s the end of the world and they know it in “Radioflash,” a neither-fish-nor-fowl tale of survival after a massive, seemingly permanent power failure. At first this seems a fairly straightforward “what if” scenario of one family’s coping with the rapid breakdown of society in an unprecedented emergency. But first-time feature director/co-writer Ben McPherson eventually [...]

  • Imax logo

    Imax China Hires Edwin Tan as CEO

    Former conferences and exhibitions executive Edwin Tan has been appointed CEO of Imax China. He replaces Jiande Chen, who now becomes vice chairman of the company, having headed the company since its inception in 2011. Tan was previously CEO of the China business of leading events firm Messe Muenchen. Before that he held roles at [...]

  • Alexander Skarsgard in the front rowGiorgio

    Film News Roundup: Alexander Skarsgard Joins 'Passing' With Tessa Thompson

    In today’s film news roundup, Taryn Manning, Shane West and Alexander Skarsgård have new roles, and Warner Bros. unveils a modernized logo. CASTINGS Alexander Skarsgård has signed on to join Tessa Thompson, Ruth Negga and André Holland in “Passing.” The film marks Rebecca Hall’s directorial debut and is based on a screenplay that Hall adapted [...]

  • Spike Lee

    Spike Lee to Direct Hip-Hop Love Story 'Prince of Cats'

    Spike Lee will direct a big-screen version of the hip-hop love story “Prince of Cats,” based on Ron Wimberly’s graphic novel. Legendary has been developing the project with Janet and Kate Zucker of Zucker Productions. Lee, who won the Academy Award for adapted screenplay for “BlacKkKlansman,” will also re-write the “Prince of Cats” script with [...]

  • DOLEMITE IS MY NAME!, 2019, DOL_Unit_06284.RAF

    'Dolemite Is My Name' Writer Larry Karaszewski Recalls 10-Year Journey to Make Rudy Ray Moore Biopic

    “Harriet” writer-director Kasi Lemmons was in a reflective mood at Tuesday night’s “Behind the Scene” event at the Formosa Cafe in West Hollywood, sponsored by the Writers Guild of America West. The biopic, starring Cynthia Erivo as slave-turned-abolitionist Harriet Tubman, has been receiving buzz since its premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival. It’s Lemmons’ [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content