×

‘Lovelace’ Cleared for Release Despite $10 Million Lawsuit

Action sought to block release of biopic

A federal judge has refused to block the release of Amanda Seyfried starrer “Lovelace,” the biopic about porn star Linda Lovelace.

The film, which is due to launch Friday, had been hit with a copyright lawsuit by Arrow Productions seeking a court order to hold up the release.

“We are relieved that common sense prevailed,” said Millennium Films president Mark Gill in a statement. “The suit was completely unwarranted. We believe this case was an insult to the legal safeguards in place maintaining our right to freedom of speech. It was without merit on every level.”

Gill also said that the Arrow Productions’ complaint was “transparent” about its desire to control discussion about “Deep Throat” and to hinder projects that would compete with theirs. “The law does not support either of these motives,” he said.

Radius co-presidents Tom Quinn and Jason Janego said, “Radius couldn’t be more pleased the world will finally get a chance to see Linda’s real story unfold on screen in ‘Lovelace.’ Never again will she be silenced by the producers and distributors of ‘Deep Throat.'”

Arrow Productions, which owns the rights to Lovelace’s iconic “Deep Throat” movie, sued the Weinstein Co. and Avi Lerner’s Millennium Films in Manhattan federal court Tuesday, alleging that “Lovelace” contains more than five minutes of unlicensed footage. The action seeks damages of more than $10 million.

The action also alleges that the title “Lovelace” has been used without license or permission.

“Lovelace,” which also stars Peter Sarsgaard, debuted at Sundance in January. The film is directed by Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman.

“There’s an idea of her is this one-dimensional character who has this talent for deep-throating,” Seyfried recently told Variety. “We wanted to tell her story from her point of view.”

The new film and its title are banking on the cultural significance of Linda Lovelace’s trademarked name, Arrow Productions’ lawsuit states, adding that “the defendants use that title without license or permission.”

The suit names TWC, Radius-TWC, Lerner, Nu Image, Animus Pictures, Eclectic Pictures, Untitled Entertainment and Laura Rister as defendants.

More Biz

  • Singer-rapper Psy performs during the 70th

    YG Agency Boss Quits as K-Pop Scandals Expand

    Yang Hyun-suk last week resigned from his remaining positions at YG Entertainment. The talent agency he co-founded is deeply mired in a series of inter-linked scandals that stretch from drugs to prostitution. Problems started with the band Bigbang and its star Seungri, but now also encompass other YG artists. Hwang Bo-kyung was appointed as the [...]

  • NEW YORK, NY – JUNE, 24:

    LGBTQ Stars Honored at Variety’s Power of Pride Celebration

    New York City felt the full Power of Pride on Monday, as Variety celebrated its inaugural issue devoted to the annual recognition of LGBTQ people worldwide. At an intimate gathering at Mr. Purple, the rooftop bar at Hotel Indigo Lower East Side in Manhattan, Variety’s cover stars and luminaries gathered for cocktails and the unveiling [...]

  • Motown Seeks to Block 'O-Town' Trademark

    Motown Seeks to Block 'O-Town' Trademark

    UPDATED: The boy band O-Town briefly rose to fame in 2000, with a star turn on MTV’s reality series “Making the Band.” But the reformed group has just one obstacle to its efforts to trademark its name: Motown Recordings. The label’s parent company, Universal Music Group, is trying to block the band from registering “O-Town” [...]

  • Alyssa Milano

    Alyssa Milano Settles $10 Million Suit With Former Accountant

    Actress Alyssa Milano has settled a legal battle with her former accountant as the case was on the verge of going to trial. Milano and her husband, agent David Bugliari, filed suit in 2017, alleging that accountant Kenneth Hellie had forged her signature on checks, failed to pay overdue bills and taxes and allowed costs [...]

  • J Balvin ‘Amicably’ Parts Ways With

    J Balvin ‘Amicably’ Parts Ways With Longtime Manager Rebeca Leon

    J Balvin and his longtime manager Rebeca León have “amicably” parted ways, reps for the singer and León confirmed to Variety. The news was first reported by Billboard. León — who also oversees the careers of fast-rising Spanish singer Rosalia as well as Colombian superstar Juanes, with whom she founded Lionfish Entertainment — began managing Balvin early in his career [...]

  • Ann Sarnoff Headshot

    Warner Bros. Taps BBC Studios Americas Chief Ann Sarnoff as CEO (EXCLUSIVE)

    Warner Bros. has tapped BBC Studios Americas president Ann Sarnoff as its new CEO, a surprise pick that is sure to shake up the venerable studio. Sarnoff becomes the first woman to head Warner Bros. in its nearly 100-year history. She was under the radar during WarnerMedia’s search for a successor to lead the studio [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content