×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Jerry Bruckheimer Finalizes Producing Deal with Paramount

Warner Bros. was also in the running

Jerry Bruckheimer is going back to Paramount Pictures after the two side reached a three-year, first-look agreement for theatrical films that will begin in April 2014.

The 70-year-old veteran producer has been looking to secure a new home for his movie releases since October, when Disney opted not to renew his deal beyond this year.

Jerry Bruckheimer is one of the most creative and prolific producers in motion picture history,” said Paramount Pictures Chairman and CEO Brad Grey. “His signature style has attracted huge global audiences and we are thrilled to have him back in the Paramount family.”

“It is great to be back at Paramount,” Bruckheimer said. “I look forward to working with Brad Grey and his entire team.”

Bruckheimer has a handful of films in development at Paramount, including sequels to “Beverly Hills Cop” and “Top Gun,” the latter of which Skydance is also attached to finance and produce.

Bruckheimer had been in discussions with several studios, including Sony Pictures and Warner Bros., but ultimately decided on Paramount, where he and his late producing partner Don Simpson had a heyday in the 1980s with such hits as “Top Gun,” two “Beverly Hills Cop” films, “Flashdance” and “American Gigolo.”

It was announced in October that Bruckheimer would be ending his 18 year-long run at Disney this month. Early on, he had much success with such action blockbusters as “Armageddon,” “The Rock,” “Con Air” and “Crimson Tide” and later with the “National Treasure” films and the “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise with four films generating $3.7 billion at the global box office over eight years. Bruckheimer also had his share of costly flops at Disney, among them “G-Force,” “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice,” “Prince of Persia” and most recently “The Lone Ranger,” which lost Disney nearly $200 million.

Bruckheimer’s arrival at Paramount makes for a crowded lot of high-profile, largely male producers including Michael Bay, Lorenzo di Bonaventura, J.J. Abrams and David Ellison. Unlike Ellison, Bruckheimer is not bringing any of his own financing to the table. Some industry insiders wonder how the concentration of producers of testosterone-driven movies will all fare under one roof.

The producer’s next pic, “Beware the Night,” a horror movie, bows through Sony’s Screen Gems on July 2, 2014.

After an off year with such misses as “The Guilt Trip,” “Fun Size” and “Rise of the Guardians,” Paramount has had a stronger 2013 with “Star Trek Into Darkness,” “World War Z” and “Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa.” The Viacom-owned studio will debut Martin Scorsese’s much-anticipated “The Wolf of Wall Street,” starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill, on Christmas Day.

More Film

  • The Favourite

    Breaking Down 'The Favourite's' Insane, Royal Dance Battle (Watch)

    We’ll go out on a limb and say no scene in this year’s crop of awards films was more WTF? than the absurd and delightful royal dance moment in “The Favourite.” Debuting early on in Yorgos Lanthimos’ female love-triangle drama, the dance serves as wonderful reminder that, even when dressed like Merchant Ivory and full [...]

  • Aquaman 2018

    'Aquaman' Reviews: What the Critics Are Saying

    Reviews of DC’s “Aquaman” vary between feelings of surprise and disappointment. Some critics are applauding director James Wan’s strong re-imagining of a previously stale character, while others are harping on DC’s inability to stack up against rival Marvel — but most are just relieved the film isn’t an all-out flop. There are virtually no qualms about [...]

  • Black Panther

    'Black Panther' Named Top Movie of 2018 by African American Film Critics Assn.

    Ryan Coogler’s “Black Panther” has won three awards from members of the African American Film Critics Association, taking the trophies for best film, director, and song for “All the Stars.” The AAFCA made the announcement Tuesday and will present the awards in ceremonies on Feb. 6 at the Taglyan Complex in Los Angeles. “Selecting Disney’s [...]

  • IFFAM: Shekhar Kapur Plans Raft of

    IFFAM: Shekhar Kapur Plans New 'Elisabeth' Film (EXCLUSIVE)

    Shekhar Kapur, best known outside India for “Elizabeth,” his 1998 biopic about the 16th Century British queen, is readying a new “Elisabeth” film. Based on a musical about one of the most famous members of the Austrian royal family, the film is to be shot in German. Together with Michael Kunze and Sylvester Levay, Kapur [...]

  • Vasan Bala Sets ‘Till The Last

    Vasan Bala Takes ‘Last Breath’ Back to Ronnie Screwvala's RSVP (EXCLUSIVE)

    Vasan Bala, director of the International Film Festival & Awards Macao’s Indian competition title “The Man Who Feels No Pain” (aka “Mard Ko Dard Nahin Hota”), will next direct “Till The Last Breath” (“Marte Dum Tak”). As with “No Pain,” former Disney India managing director Ronnie Screwvala will produce through his RSVP production outfit. “No [...]

  • IFFAM: Nicolas Cage Talks Asian Cinema,

    IFFAM: Nicolas Cage Talks Asian Cinema, Chinese Money

    Nicolas Cage, the Oscar-winning actor and International Film Festival & Awards Macao talent ambassador, reckons he is no stranger to the Asian brand of cinema. He has worked with the likes of John Woo (“Face/Off”,) the Pang Brothers (“Bangkok Dangerous” remake) and Sion Sono on upcoming English-language film “Prisoners of the Ghostland.” Addressing a press [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content