×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

DreamWorks pumps brakes on ‘Robopocalypse’

Script not quite ready, budget too high

Steven Spielberg has decided to delay the start of production of the Fox-DreamWorks sci-fier “Robopocalypse” because of script and budget issues.

The project had been set to go forward this spring, but sources confirmed to Variety that the script wasn’t where the studio wanted it to be, and it was eyeing a smaller budget.

Former Fox chairman Tom Rothman came on board in September to produce “Robopocalypse.” Fox had announced that it had come on to the project in 2011.

Disney was set to distribute “Robopocalypse” domestically through its Touchstone label while Fox will handle international territories. The companies will share equally in worldwide theatrical revenues.

Fox originally slated “Robopocalypse” for release July 3, 2013, but then pushed the pic back to open day-and-date worldwide on April 25, 2014.

“Robopocalypse,” a sci-fi epic adapted from Daniel H. Wilson’s novel by scribe Drew Goddard, centers on the fate of the human race after a robot uprising. DreamWorks acquired the rights to Wilson’s unpublished manuscript in November 2009.

Spielberg directed two films — “The Adventures of Tintin: Secrets of the Unicorn” and “War Horse” — that were released late last year, followed by “Lincoln,” which has grossed nearly $150 million since its November release.

More Film

  • Indian film director Rajkumar Hirani'Sanju' film

    Shanghai: Rajkumar Hirani Talks China-India Film Axis, Silent on #MeToo Accusations

    Rajkumar Hirani, the Indian film director who is part of the Shanghai International Film Festival’s competition jury, says he is pleased by the reception that Indian films are getting in China. But in conversation in Shanghai he sidestepped the accusations of sexual assault that were recently levelled against him. “I don’t think we should talk [...]

  • Michael Gambon. Actor Ray Winstone poses

    Ray Winstone Joins Marvel's 'Black Widow' (EXCLUSIVE)

    “The Departed” star Ray Winstone has joined Marvel’s “Black Widow” standalone movie, sources tell Variety. “Stranger Things'” David Harbour and “Midsommar’s” Florence Pugh are also on board to star alongside Scarlett Johansson. Cate Shortland has signed on to direct from Jac Schaeffer’s script, with Kevin Feige producing. Marvel had no comment on the casting. The [...]

  • Dylan O'Brien'Bumblebee' film premiere, Arrivals, Los

    Dylan O'Brien's 'Monster Problems,' 'Clifford' Backed by Paramount, eOne

    Paramount Pictures and Entertainment One have closed a deal to co-finance “Clifford The Big Red Dog” and “Monster Problems,” with “Maze Runner” star Dyan O’Brien. Under the deal, announced Thursday, eOne will distribute all rights directly in Canada and the UK, excluding television in the UK, and Paramount shall distribute all other rights including in [...]

  • PMKBNC

    PMK-BNC Executive Joy Fehily Resigns, Will Consult and Manage Seth MacFarlane (EXCLUSIVE)

    Top Hollywood publicist and executive Joy Fehily has resigned from her post at public relations firm PMK-BNC, individuals familiar with the move told Variety. Fehily steps down in the midst of a five-year deal with the show business institution, insiders said, which reps A-list actors and below-the-line talent as well as huge brands like American [...]

  • Donald Trump Chucky Childs Play

    'Child's Play' Stars on New Chucky's 'Creepy' Resemblance to Donald Trump

    At Wednesday night’s world premiere of the “Child’s Play” remake, it was obvious that evil doll Chucky — the star of seven films over three decades — had a little work done. And now he bears a striking resemblance to Donald Trump. “Oh, you caught that?” Aubrey Plaza asked Variety on the black carpet outside [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content