×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Australia Shakes Up Incentives for Dwayne Johnson’s ‘San Andreas’

HONG KONG – The San Andreas Fault may be one of California’s best known landmarks, but New Line Cinema’s upcoming film of the same title is expected to shoot in Australia.

The 3D thriller, to star Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson as a helicopter pilot searching for his daughter after an earthquake, is expected to lens in the Village Roadshow Studios in Gold Coast, Queensland. It may take in other ‘Down Under’ locations including Brisbane and Ipswich.

With a $100 million budget, the film is set up as a production involving New Line and Village Roadshow Pictures, the U.S. film financing arm of Australia’s Village Roadshow Limited, and also involves Beau Flynn’s production firm The Flynn Picture Company.

Brad Peyton, who previously directed Johnson in “Journey 2: The Mysterious Island”, is set as helmer. Warner Bros. will release the film in North America and has set a June 5, 2015 date.

The film is understood to have been granted a portion of Australia’s $20 million fund set up specially to attract overseas movies to the country. (Others include Angelina Jolie’s directorial effort “Unbroken” and “The Moon And The Sun.”)

San Andreas” will also be eligible for the Queensland Production Incentive Scheme, local payroll tax rebates and federal rebates.

“The Australian Screen Production Incentive that I introduced in 2007 has proved to be a highly successful stimulant for investment in Australian productions and has served to attract and secure a number of major international films to Australia,” Federal Arts Minister George Brandis told local media.

“All [Australian] states have found it hard in the last year or so, particularly with the high [Australian] dollar. But this is a sign Queensland is back on track and it is very good news for the industry,” said Queensland Arts Minister Ian Walker.

Queensland estimates that the movie will pump $30 million into the state economy, employ 70 local production crew and have roles for over 2,000 extras.

More Film

  • Cannes: Star Alliance Movies Takes Wide’s

    Cannes: Star Alliance Movies Takes Wide’s ‘Blast’ for China (EXCLUSIVE)

    CANNES  —  Hong Kong’s Star Alliance Movies has pounced on all rights to China on “Blast,” a race against the clock thriller that marks the first full production from Wide, Loic Magneron’s Paris-based sales-production-distribution company. The deal, made against a background of slowing sales to China, represents the first pre-sale on “Blast,” which is now [...]

  • Brazil’s Cinemascopio, France’s Les Valseurs Team

    Brazil’s Cinemascopio, France’s Les Valseurs Team For Nara Normande, Tião’s ‘The Heron’ (EXCLUSIVE)

    CANNES — Recife-based CinemaScópio Produções and Paris’ Les Valseurs have teamed on “A Garça” (The Heron), the feature debut from Brazil’s Nara Normande, co-authored by Tião. Brazilian CinemaScópio is behind Kleber Mendonça Filho and Juliano Dornelles’ Brazilian Western-thriller “Bacurau,” in competition at Cannes. Les Valseurs is also presenting Qiu Yang’s short “She Runs” at Critics’ [...]

  • Portrait of a Young Woman on

    Cannes Film Review: 'Portrait of a Lady on Fire'

    The title of Céline Sciamma’s “Portrait of a Lady on Fire” implies that her subversively seductive film will focus on the subject of its titular painting — an 18th-century woman who refuses to pose, in defiance of the arranged marriage into which she’s being forced — when it’s just as much a portrait of the [...]

  • Colin Firth

    Cannes: Colin Firth WWII Drama 'Operation Mincemeat' Sells Out Internationally (EXCLUSIVE)

    “Operation Mincemeat,” a buzzy World War II drama that stars Colin Firth, has sold out international territories at this year’s Cannes Film Festival. Warner Bros. has picked up several key markets, as has Central and Eastern European distributor Prorom. The film reunites Firth with John Madden, his “Shakespeare in Love” director. FilmNation Entertainment and Cross [...]

  • Meikincine Scoops Three Titles at Cannes

    Meikincine Scoops Three More Titles at Cannes Film Market (EXCLUSIVE)

    Lucia and Julia Meik’s boutique sales company Meikincine has announced three acquisitions out of this year’s Cannes Film Market: Gaspar Scheuer’s “Delfin”- which world premiered in the Cannes Écrans Juniors Competition; Marcelo Paez Cubells’ “Which”– part of this year’s Blood Window Showcase for films in progress; Sebastián Mega Díaz’s romantic comedy “The Big Love Picture.” [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content