×

Kim Ki-duk Seeks Industry Vote on ‘Moebius’

After two ‘restricted’ ratings, Korean auteur throws himself at mercy of critics, execs

SEOUL – ‘Idiosyncratic,’ ‘iconoclastic’ and ‘isolated’ are the normal adjectives used to describe South Korean film-maker Kim Ki-duk. But now the auteur is throwing himself at the mercy of critics — and foreign audiences – in order to secure a local release for his upcoming “Moebius.”

The film will have its world premiere in a prestigious out-of-competition slot at the Venice festival, but it is currently forbidden from getting a release at home.

Moebius” chronicles a man atoning for his sexual misdeeds by cutting off his genitals while also focusing on destructive family dynamics.

In an attempt to sway the Korean Media Rating Board (KMRB), Kim held a private screening of the film on Friday (July 26) for a specially-invited audience of film critics, journalists and other industry professionals.

Of the 109 who attended the screening at the Korean Film Council, 107 voted. An overwhelming 93 (87%) said they want to see “Moebius” released in Korea. Prior to the screening Kim had said that if he got less than 30% approval he would give up his pursuit of a domestic release.

The screening and voting are unusual steps for Kim. For all his international acclaim Kim cuts a lonely figure within Korea. He works on micro-budgets that make him a hostage to no-one and often produces, lenses and scores the works he writes and directs.

“Moebius” has been making headlines since early June when it was effectively banned. It was given a “restricted” release rating by the KMRB for scenes of extreme violence and others depicting incestuous sex between a mother and her son.

The KMRB decision means that it can only be shown at specialist theaters of which there are currently none in South Korea. The rating also imposes strict limitations on marketing and advertising of the film, though it would allow the pic to be shown at approved festivals such as Busan in October.

Hoping for an overturn of the decision, Kim has already trimmed some 20 scenes. And when the KMRB repeated the ruling on July 15, he cut a further 12 scenes amounting to 50 seconds of running time ahead of a second appeal.

It is unclear whether the director’s international standing and the film’s likely overseas career will sway the KMRB, which in its ruling described “Moebius” as “terrifying and harmful to underage audiences,” depicting “unethical and unsocial expressions of sexual activity between immediate family members.”

“Moebius” is Kim’s sixth film to be invited to Venice, where last year he won the Golden Lion award (pictured) for “Pièta.” Including “Pièta” and “Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter… And Spring,” his works have twice been South Korea’s foreign-language Oscar contenders, though to date no Korean film has ever received a foreign-language Oscar nomination.

The film’s international distributor Finecut reports that it has pre-sold the film to Movie Inspired for Italy and Italian-speaking Switzerland, to MFA+ Distribution for Germany, Austria and German-speaking Switzerland and to Cinema Prestige for the ex-USSR, excluding Baltic States. It has also been sold to Ama Films for Greece and Cyprus and for Turkey, Bir Film has already snapped it up.
ENDS

Popular on Variety

More Film

  • Mickey Mouse waves to members of

    Spider-Man, Spicer and Splashy First-Looks: Everything We're Looking For at D23

    As if Disney hasn’t owned enough weekends this year at the box office, the biennial D23 Expo will light up Anaheim, Calif. over the next three days to celebrate the content monolith. From a new Netflix-competing streaming platform to scores of movie and series reveals — along with a few hot controversies to confront — [...]

  • Angel Has Fallen

    'Angel Has Fallen' to Dominate Modest Box Office With $20 Million Weekend

    Gerard Butler and Morgan Freeman are leading the way at the North American box office with “Angel Has Fallen” on its way to about $20 million, early estimates showed Friday. Should forecasts hold, “Angel Has Fallen” will take in about double the next title, Universal’s second weekend of raunchy comedy “Good Boys” with about $10 [...]

  • Aracne

    Sanfic Standout ‘Aracne’ Filmmakers Discuss the State of Chilean Genre

    A key project at this year’s Santiago Lab, the Santiago Intl. Film Festival industry forum for promising Latin American projects, Florencia Dupont’s “Aracne” is representative of a push from the next generation of Chilean filmmakers into genre cinema and the themes it can explore. “Aracne” turns on Beatriz, a young journalist at a small Santiago [...]

  • Eduardo Machuca

    Chile’s Eduardo Machuca Unveils Machuca Films Slate (EXCLUSIVE)

    SANTIAGO, Chile – Eduardo Machuca, the former film co-ordinator of Chile’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, has launched his own production company, Machuca Films. “After 25 years at the ministry, I felt I needed to tap my creative side,” said Machuca, who is also tying the knot on Saturday (Aug. 24) with a former Sanfic staffer, [...]

  • Robert Downey Jr. Disney Legends Ceremony,

    Robert Downey Jr. Reveals He Was Busted for Smoking Pot at Disneyland

    Robert Downey Jr. celebrated his Disney Legend status by sharing the endearing tale of how the first time he visited Disneyland, he was arrested. The Iron Man actor was being honored in Anaheim at Disney’s biennial D23 convention. After a brief introduction by Disney chief executive officer Bob Iger, Downey felt he had to come [...]

  • Thandie Newton Reminiscence

    Thandie Newton Reteams With 'Westworld's' Lisa Joy on 'Reminiscence' (EXCLUSIVE)

    Following her Emmy win for her performance on “Westworld,” Thandie Newton is joining the feature directorial debut of the show’s co-creator. Sources tell Variety that Newton is set to join Hugh Jackman and Rebecca Ferguson in Warner Bros.’ “Reminiscence,” directed by “Westworld’s” Lisa Joy. WB acquired the rights to the package after this year’s Berlin [...]

  • Ming-Na Wen poses at the Disney

    Original 'Mulan' Star Ming-Na Wen Weighs in on Remake's Controversy

    Ming-Na Wen, who played the leading voice role in the original 1998 version of “Mulan,” has spoken out about the recent controversy surrounding Disney’s forthcoming live-action remake, which has been co-opted by China’s authoritarian regime to attack Hong Kong protestors. “We are living in a world right now where there’s so much change and confusion [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content