×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Union Dispute Halts Production of ‘All My Children,’ ‘One Life to Live’

Prospect Park blames dispute with IATSE for early summer hiatus, as studio says it 'cannot afford traditional broadcast rates'

Prospect Park said it will shut down production of its two soap operas, “All My Children” and “One Life to Live,” for a summer hiatus 11 days earlier than it anticipated, with the studio blaming a dispute with the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees over wages.

“We believe we have met all contract requirements with IATSE, and as an Internet startup, and per our contract with the IA, we cannot afford, and our business model cannot sustain, traditional broadcast rates,” Prospect Park said in a statement.

IATSE did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Prospect Park, which resurrected the soaps as Internet-only properties after ABC canceled them in 2011, has run into union problems before. Late last year, the studio reached agreements with SAG-AFTRA, DGA and WGA that allowed it to commence production.

The new episodes of “All My Children” and “One Life to Live” premiered on Hulu, iTunes and Prospect Park’s TheOnlineNetwork.com on April 29. Two and a half weeks later, however, the company announced it was cutting the release schedule to two episodes per week for each  show, down from four — a decision that angered many fans.

Studio bosses claimed viewers were having trouble keeping up with the previous rate, expressing concern that the sudsers would lose audience. With the slower pace, Prospect Park is hoping to drive up views (and advertising revenue) per episode. The shows are free to watch on Hulu and TheOnlineNetwork.com; ad-free episodes are 99 cents through iTunes.

Now, according to the company, because of the IATSE issue, “All My Children” and “One Life To Live” will cease production at its Stamford, Conn., facility on June 6 instead of June 17. Shooting is scheduled to resume Aug. 12 pending resolution of the labor issue, the studio said.

“Right now we have 40 episodes of each show ready to post through September, and if we can resolve this issue by August, we can get back into the studio on time so audiences will enjoy uninterrupted postings of their favorite shows,” Prospect Park said.

Prospect Park said the shows’ writers, directors, actors and rest of crew “have been supportive of the shows and our success… We are committed to these shows, and to the nearly 300 jobs they produce, thus we are exploring every legal and logistical option to maintain our production schedule.”

More Digital

  • Netflix-logo-N-icon

    Netflix Raises $2.2 Billion Through Junk-Bond Offering

    Netflix just went deeper into hock: The company announced the pricing of unsecured bonds in a transaction raising around $2.2 billion, giving it more cash to invest in content, real estate and infrastructure. The streamer had said Tuesday that it planned to raise $2 billion through a new debt offering, bringing its long-term debt to [...]

  • Facebook Logo

    Facebook Anticipates It Will Have to Pay FTC Up to $5 Billion for Privacy Violations

    Facebook executives expect that the company will have to pay as much as $5 billion as a result of an ongoing FTC investigation into its privacy practices, they revealed in Facebook’s Q1 2019 earnings release Wednesday. As a result of these anticipated charges, Facebook set aside $3 billion in the quarter, which significantly impacted its [...]

  • Avengers: Endgame

    'Avengers: Endgame' Full Movie Hits Piracy Networks (Report)

    Disney/Marvel’s “Avengers: Endgame,” poised to be the hugest movie opening in history, has hit piracy networks — two days before its U.S. premiere — with a copy evidently recorded in a Chinese movie theater now circulating online, according to a published report. Users in China began sharing a 1.2-gigabyte file of “Avengers: Endgame” on peer-to-peer [...]

  • Childish Gambino 'Pharos" AR App Launches

    Childish Gambino Releases 'Pharos' AR App for Android Phones

    Childish Gambino is taking his “Pharos” multimedia franchise to a new platform: Donald Glover’s alter ego released a “Pharos” augmented reality (AR) app for Android phones Wednesday morning, with an iOS version forthcoming at a later time. The app allows users to open up an AR portal in their living room (or where ever else [...]

  • How Baobab Studios Made 'Bonfire,' Its

    Baobab’s New VR Film ‘Bonfire’ Puts the Viewer at the Center of the Story

    Baobab Studios, the VR studio known for Pixar-quality animated virtual reality short films like “Invasion!” and “Crow: The Legend,” is back at Tribeca Film Festival this week with a new VR short that puts you at the center of the story — and lets you experience bonding around a campfire a million miles from home. [...]

  • NFL-Sunday-Ticket-DIRECTV

    AT&T CEO Expects DirecTV to Keep NFL Sunday Ticket Exclusively

    AT&T believes it will hang on to DirecTV’s exclusive rights for the NFL Sunday Ticket, even as the league has said it’s considering ending the satellite operator’s exclusivity to extend the out-of-home games package to streaming platforms. “The exclusivity [of Sunday Ticket] should remain as we go forward on DirecTV,” AT&T CEO and chairman Randall [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content