×

‘One Life to Live’ Put on Hold Pending Producer’s Lawsuit Against ABC

Prospect Park suspends plans for 'OLTL' amid $25 million breach-of-contract suit against Alphabet net

“One Life to Live,” the soap reborn as an Internet series earlier this year, may not have any lives left.

Production company Prospect Park, which acquired the rights to “OLTL” and “All My Children” from ABC, has put plans for the next season of “One Life to Live” on hold pending the resolution of its breach-of-contract lawsuit against the Alphabet net, as first reported by the Los Angeles Times.

ABC and Prospect Park reps declined to comment.

SEE ALSO: Inside the Online Revival of ‘All My Children,’ ‘One Life to Live’

The ambitious, star-crossed efforts of Prospect Park to bring the soaps back as Internet serials — which preemed April 26 — has hit numerous snags, including labor disputes and challenges in getting financing.

In addition, Prospect Park sued ABC in April, alleging the Alphabet net killed off two “One Life to Live” characters and effectively killed off a third character to sabotage the online resurrection of the show. ABC called the suit, which seeks $25 million in damages, “baseless” and said it remained “very supportive of the online launch of both ‘One Life to Live’ and ‘All My Children.'”

Under the agreement between ABC and Prospect Park, the three “OLTL” characters were on loan to ABC’s “General Hospital.” Prospect Park claims ABC failed to consult with the studio on “GH” storylines involving them, which included characters Cole and Hope Thornhart dying when their car was forced off a cliff. Now, Prospect Park has shelved plans for resuming shooting on the show until the suit is resolved.

Less than a month after the debut of “AMC” and “OLTL” this spring, Prospect Park upset diehard fans by announcing it would reduce the sked for both shows from four eps weekly to two. The company said it made the change after viewers said they were having trouble keeping up with the faster pace.

Prospect Park aired the final ep of “OLTL” on Aug. 19, while the last episode of “All My Children” went up Sept. 2. Shows are available free on Hulu and Prospect Park’s TheOnlineNetwork website, and may be purchased on Apple’s iTunes.

The production company has not announced when the next run of “AMC” will return but has said production sked for that show has not changed.

SEE ALSO: ABC Calls Online Soaps Lawsuit ‘Baseless’

Popular on Variety

More TV

  • TV News Roundup: Netflix Drops Trailer

    TV News Roundup: Netflix Drops Trailer for Ryan Murphy's 'The Politician' (Watch)

    In today’s TV news roundup, Netflix has drops the first trailer for “The Politician,” and “Killing Eve” adds two to its cast for season 3.  CASTING Harriet Walter and Danny Sapani, both alums of “The Crown,” are set to join the cast of “Killing Eve” for its third season. British writer Suzanne Heathcote, whose past credits include [...]

  • Lady Gaga

    Variety Earns 14 Folio: Eddie & Ozzie Award Nominations

    Variety has received 14 Folio: Eddie & Ozzie award nominations for its coverage of the entertainment industry over the past year. The awards gala, which will take place at The Hilton Midtown in New York City on Oct. 30, celebrates publications that have demonstrated impressive investigative journalism, in addition to thoughtful digital and print design. [...]

  • Disneyland

    Disney Shares Slip Amid Reported Whistleblower Allegations of Inflated Revenue

    Sandra Kuba, a former senior financial analyst for Disney’s revenue operations unit, says she has filed a series of whistleblower tips with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, alleging that the entertainment conglomerate repeatedly and systematically overstated its revenue for years, according to a MarketWatch report, by as much as $6 billion in a single [...]

  • Bob Bakish Joe Ianniello

    ViacomCBS Sets Board Members; Bob Bakish, Joe Ianniello New Deals Disclosed

    ViacomCBS has unveiled the 13 members of its board of directors and details of new employment contracts for president-CEO Bob Bakish and CBS chairman-CEO Joe Ianniello. The disclosure came Monday in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, six days after Viacom and CBS at long last set an all-stock merger agreement valued at [...]

  • Carrie Underwood, left, and Reba McEntire

    CMAs Make Hosting Change: Brad Paisley Exits, Dolly Parton and Reba McEntire Are In

    The CMA Awards have had the most consistent hosting situation of any music awards show in television, but 11 years after installing Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood as the reliable faces of the telecast, even ABC and the Country Music Association have decided it’s time for a switch. Come Nov. 13, Underwood will return for [...]

  • Ava Max iHeartRadio Wango Tango, Portraits,

    Megan Thee Stallion, CNCO, Ava Max to Perform at VMAs Pre-show

    CNCO, Megan Thee Stallion and “Sweet but Psycho” singer Ava Max (pictured) have been added to the performer lineup at this year’s MTV Video Music Awards. The three will take the stage during the VMAs’ red carpet pre-show, hosted by Terrence J and Nessa. Zara Larsson will join the two hosts as a special correspondent. [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content