×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

‘One Life to Live,’ ‘All My Children’ Producers Settle Labor Dispute

With union spat over fees resolved, Prospect Park set to resume production of online soaps Aug. 12

Prospect Park has settled a standoff over fees with several locals of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees on the production of online soap operas “One Life to Live” and “All My Children.”

Sudsers will resume production Aug. 12, after the planned summer hiatus, Prospect Park said. In the dispute, the union claimed members were entitled to higher payments because per-episode production costs exceeded $120,000 cap for digital productions (the studio said it was not going over budget) and because the shows are being distributed on TV in Canada, through the FX Canada network.

Terms of the agreement between Prospect Park and IATSE New York production locals 52, 161, 600, 700, 764, 798 and USA829 were not disclosed. The parties in a joint statement said they have resolved their differences “to their mutual satisfaction.”

“We are pleased that that the parties were able to successfully address their concerns in a mutually beneficial way, which will enable these innovative shows to continue to be produced with our talented crews,” IATSE Local 600 rep David Blake said in a statement.

Prospect Park topper Jeff Kwatinetz said, “We thank the entire IATSE organization for their continued support in bringing these shows to fans, and we especially appreciate the efforts of Chaim Kantor and John Ford and our entire crew for helping us to move forward as a unified team.”

On June 5, Prospect Park blamed the IATSE spat for causing it to break production on the shows 11 days earlier than it anticipated.

The studio, which resurrected the soaps as Internet-only properties after ABC canceled them in 2011, initially ran into union problems with SAG-AFTRA, DGA and WGA before settling with those unions late last year.

The new episodes of “All My Children” and “One Life to Live” premiered on Hulu, iTunes and Prospect Park’s TheOnlineNetwork.com on April 29. Two and a half weeks later, however, the company announced it was cutting the release schedule to two episodes per week for each  show, down from four — a decision that angered many fans.

Kwatinetz and partner Rich Frank claimed they made the change because viewers were having trouble keeping up with the previous rate. With the slower pace, Prospect Park is hoping to drive up views (and advertising revenue) per episode. The shows are free to watch on Hulu, Hulu Plus and TheOnlineNetwork.com; ad-free episodes are 99 cents through iTunes.

SEE ALSO: Inside the Online Revival of ‘All My Children,’ ‘One Life to Live’

More Digital

  • Hooq Sets up Filmmakers Guild For

    Hooq Sets up Filmmakers Guild For Second Year of Pilots

    Asian video streaming platform, Hooq is to air five pilot episodes that have emerged from its Filmmakers Guild. The most successful is guaranteed to be produced as a full series and streamed on the platform. Five original selected screenplays were each awarded $30,000 to be made as pilots, which now air from March 1. The [...]

  • Fortnite Battle Royale

    Epic Pulls 'Fortnite' Ads From YouTube After Child Predator Controversy

    Epic Games is no longer running “Fortnite” pre-roll ads on YouTube after it was discovered they were playing on videos alleged predators used to exploit children, according to The Verge. The developer has paused all of its pre-roll advertising, which plays before a video starts on the streaming platform, a spokesperson said. It also reached [...]

  • New Video Shows Off Vive Cosmos

    New Video Shows Off Vive Cosmos VR Controllers

    There’s still much to be learned about HTC’s Vive Cosmos — like release date, specs, and price — but Wednesday the company released a short teaser video giving a slightly better glimpse of the controllers in action. The new controllers look a bit like rival VR headset Oculus Rift’s Touch controller, though reversed in some [...]

  • YouTube logo

    Disney Reportedly Pulls YouTube Ads Over Child-Exploitation Controversy

    YouTube is facing yet another big advertiser backlash, with Disney and Epic Games among the marketers said to have pulled their ad spending after the Google-owned video platform was accused of facilitating what a critic described as a “soft-core pedophilia ring.” Vlogger Matt Watson, in a Feb. 17 video on his YouTube channel MattsWhatItIs, showed [...]

  • Samsung Galaxy S10, Galaxy S10+ Unveiled

    Samsung Announces Galaxy S10, Galaxy S10+ Phones

    Samsung officially announced its new flagship phones, the Galaxy S10 and its larger sibling, Galaxy S10+, at its Unpacked press event in San Francisco on Wednesday morning. The new phone features a punch-hole cut-out for its front-facing camera, which allowed the company to use an edge-to-edge screen design without the notch found on the latest [...]

  • Samsung's Galaxy Fold Unveiled at Unpacked

    Samsung Announces Galaxy Fold, a $1,980 Foldable Phone

    Samsung officially announced its new foldable phone, dubbed the Galaxy Fold, at its Unpacked press event in San Francisco Wednesday morning. The device features two screens that unfold to a tablet-sized slate. “We are giving you a device that doesn’t just define a new category, it defies categories,” said Samsung senior vice president of product [...]

  • ABC-Oscar-Game

    ABC to Launch Oscars Live Play-Along Game With $50,000 Grand Prize

    ABC is hoping to drive viewers to its host-less telecast of the 91st Academy Awards on Sunday by dangling the promise of cold, hard cash to one lucky winner. The broadcaster is launching “The Official Oscar Game,” a live game that will let viewers play along in real time during the awards presentation. The game’s [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content