×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

BlackBerry Crumble: Device Maker Posts $4.4 Bil Loss, Strikes Deal with Foxconn

Q3 sales decline 25% sequentially, as company's smartphone shipments fall nearly in half from prior quarter

BlackBerry sank deeper into a jam in the most recent quarter, posting a staggering $4.4 billion loss for the three months ended Nov. 30, 2013, as the company’s smartphone sales continued to crater.

Separately, BlackBerry announced a five-year outsourced manufacturing contract with Taiwan’s Foxconn Technology Group. The pact will focus initially on producing smartphones for Indonesia and other emerging markets.

Investors saw a glimmer of hope with the Foxconn deal, sending BlackBerry shares up as high as 17% Friday. The stock closed at $7.22 per share for the day, up 15.5% — but that’s still well off a 52-week high of $18.32 per share (and a fraction of its all-time high of $148.42 in June 2008). Analysts said key details of the Foxconn partnership, including the pricing of the devices, would have to be fleshed out.

“In our view, the company is in a holding pattern until we see the fruits of this new relationship with Foxconn,” Wedge Partners analyst Brian Blair wrote in a note.

BlackBerry Q3 sales of $1.2 billion were down 25% sequentially, from $1.6 billion in the previous quarter. The company recognized revenue on 1.9 million smartphones in the third quarter, nearly half the 3.7 million units in the previous quarter.

The quarterly net loss included charges of $4.6 billion associated with write-downs of long-term assets, inventory and supply commitments as well as previously announced restructuring under which BlackBerry is cutting 4,500 jobs or 40% of its workforce. Excluding charges, BlackBerry reported a $354 million adjusted loss from continuing operations for the third quarter.

SEE ALSO: BlackBerry Abandons Sale Effort, Ousts CEO Thorsten Heins

BlackBerry, established in 1999 as Research in Motion, was a successful pioneer in smart mobile devices. But the Canadian company has been unable to compete with Apple’s iPhone and the app ecosystem it established, and the rise of phones running Google’s Android operating system put another huge dent in BlackBerry’s market share.

The “most immediate challenge for the company is how to transition the devices operations to a more profitable business model,” John Chen, executive chairman and interim CEO of BlackBerry, said in announcing the results.

This fall, BlackBerry sought to go private in a $4.7 billion deal with a consortium led by Fairfax Financial Holdings. But last month the company was forced to abandoned the plan, with Fairfax and others investing $1 billion in BlackBerry instead. The company ousted CEO Thorsten Heins and hired Chen, formerly CEO of database software vendor Sybase, as interim chief.

Chen said the Foxconn partnership “allows BlackBerry to focus on what we do best — iconic design, world-class security, software development and enterprise mobility management — while simultaneously addressing fast-growing markets leveraging Foxconn’s scale and efficiency that will allow us to compete more effectively.”

Under the partnership, Foxconn will manufacture products for BlackBerry at facilities in Indonesia and Mexico.

More Digital

  • K. Guru Gowrappan - Oath -

    Verizon Is Not Selling HuffPost, Telco's Media Boss Says

    Verizon is not selling HuffPost, according to Verizon Media CEO Guru Gowrappan — who insisted the news and opinion site is central to its content strategy. “We are not selling HuffPost,” said Gowrappan, speaking at the Code Media conference in L.A. Tuesday. “It’s so core to our content… We are focusing on creating good journalism, [...]

  • Disney Kevin Mayer Recode Media

    Disney Streaming Boss Kevin Mayer: App Architecture to Blame for Disney Plus Stumbles

    No, it wasn’t Amazon’s fault that Disney Plus struggled following its launch last week: Disney direct-to-consumer chairman Kevin Mayer told the audience of Recode’s Code Media conference in Los Angeles Tuesday that there really wasn’t anyone to blame but Disney’s own technology. “It had we to do with the way we architected the app,” Mayer [...]

  • Disney-Plus-Logo

    Disney Plus Customer Service Still Experiencing 'High Volume' of Help Inquiries

    Disney Plus got off to a rocky start with widespread technical problems for the streaming service on launch day — and a week later, the company says it’s still seeing a high level of incoming calls from users who are having problems. Disney announced one day after the launch that more than 10 million people [...]

  • The Game Awards

    The Game Awards 2019 Nominees: 'Death Stranding,' 'Control' Lead the Field (Full List)

    The Game Awards 2019 unveiled nominations for this year’s event, led by Hideo Kojima’s epic “Death Stranding” with nine nods and Remedy/505 Games’ “Control” with eight nominations. This year’s Game of the Year nominees, in addition to “Control” and “Death Stranding,” are “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate,” “Resident Evil 2,” “Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice” and “The [...]

  • Roger Lynch Code Media

    Conde Nast CEO Roger Lynch: 'The Jury Is Out' on Apple News Plus

    Conde Nast CEO Roger Lynch told the audience of Recode’s Code Media conference that he hadn’t made up his mind yet about Apple’s news subscription service. “I think the jury is out,” Lynch said, adding that he had inherited Conde Nast’s deal with Apple from his predecessor. “I hope Apple News Plus is wildly successful,” [...]

  • Diego Winburn - Telemundo Snapchat

    Telemundo Launches First Snapchat Show, 'Diego Street Magic'

    NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises, looking to tap into Snapchat’s youth-skewing user base, launched its first exclusive show on Snapchat. Telemundo’s 10-episode “Diego Street Magic” features Mexican-American magician Diego Winburn performing magic tricks and illusions on the streets of New York City. After premiering Nov. 19, new episodes will be available Tuesdays and Thursdays through mid-December on [...]

  • Disney Plus user interface home screen

    Disney Plus Is Not Hampering Netflix Yet, Analysts Say -- But It's Only Been a Week

    One week after the launch of Disney Plus, Wall Street analysts are scouring tea leaves for signs of how the Mouse House’s streaming service is faring — and whether it’s taken a bite out of Netflix. Disney Plus’ launch in the first week had “little to no impact” on Netflix usage trends, which is “reassuring [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content