×

‘Batman: The Dark Knight Returns’ Book Sales Surge After Batman vs. Superman Film Announced at Comic-Con

Digital and print sales of the graphic novel surged 161% in July after Comic-Con

DC Comics is enjoying a major boost in sales of Frank Miller’s “Batman: The Dark Knight Returns” now that Zack Snyder has said he’s turning to the four-part miniseries and graphic novel as inspiration for his follow up to “Man of Steel,” which will feature the caped crusader facing off against Superman on the big screen during summer 2015.

The publisher said digital sales of the graphic novel surged 161% in July, compared to June, and set a single month sales record for a full-priced DC Entertainment eBook.

The print edition showed a similar increase, according to Bookscan.

Superman: Unchained” #2 and “Batman” #22 also were the top two selling comicbooks in July, according to Diamond Comic Distributors, the largest comicbook distributor, while “Justice League” #22, that pits three Justice League teams against each other, was the fourth bestselling title during the month.

SEE ALSO: Comic-Con: Superman and Batman to Team Up in Movie

During Warner Bros.’ Comic-Con presentation, in San Diego, Snyder introduced “Man of Steel” actor Harry Lennix, who read from Miller’s “Dark Knight Returns,” published in 1986. The excerpt features Bruce Wayne speaking: “I want you to remember, Clark. In all the years to come. In all your most private moments. I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you.”

But the “Man of Steel” follow up will not be entirely based on the graphic novel, Snyder said. In the book, a 55-year-old Bruce Wayne ends his retirement as Batman to fight crime and aims to take down Superman. Miller’s sequel, “The Dark Knight Strikes Again,” was published in 2001.

The graphic novel already has been adapted as a two-part direct-to-homevideo title through the DC Universal Animated Original Movies banner, with the first introduced in September 2012, followed by the second in January.

More Biz

  • Spanish tenor Placido Domingo during the

    Opera Singer Plácido Domingo Hospitalized with Coronavirus

    Spanish opera singer Plácido Domingo has been hospitalized in Acapulco, Mexico, for coronavirus. “He is doing well and is responding to treatment,” Domingo’s spokesperson told CNN on Sunday. On March 22, the 79-year-old Domingo revealed via his Facebook page that he had tested positive for COVID-19. “I beg everyone to be extremely careful, follow the basic [...]

  • Mergers and Deals Placeholder

    Tegna Confirms Two Acquisition Offers Withdrawn Amid Coronavirus Upheaval

    Tegna confirmed Sunday that two suitors for the station group have recently withdrawn acquisition offers, citing the upheaval in the broader marketplace caused by the coronavirus crisis. Tegna’s statement is the company’s first acknowledgement that it has received four unsolicited acquisition offers in recent weeks. Two of those have since been withdrawn while the other [...]

  • Prince Harry and Meghan Duchess of

    President Trump Says Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Must Pay for Own Security

    After moving to the U.S. and leaving the royal family behind, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle must now pay for their own security team, according to President Trump. Before recently relocating to the U.S., the couple had been living in Canada under the watch and protection of British security and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. [...]

  • Donald Trump Anthony Fauci

    Trump Boasts of Coronavirus TV Ratings as Fauci Warns: 200,000 People Could Die in U.S.

    UPDATE: President Donald Trump announced in a press conference Sunday afternoon that the country’s social distancing guidelines have been extended to April 30 and that the peak death rate will hit in two weeks. “Nothing would be worse than declaring victory before the victory has been won. Therefore we will be extending our guidelines to April [...]

  • Queen Elizabeth

    Queen Elizabeth's Footman Diagnosed with Coronavirus (Report)

    Coronavirus remains firmly in the royal orbit as one of Queen Elizabeth’s footmen has reportedly tested positive for COVID-19. The royal footman, who regularly walks the Queen’s dogs and was in regular contact with the monarch, is now in self-isolation after falling ill with coronavirus, according to British tabloid The Sun. The revelation comes just [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content