×

WME, real estate developer settle arbitration case

Agency to pay undisclosed sum to end dispute with Comfort & Sons

WME will pay an undisclosed sum to developer George Comfort & Sons now that the arbitration over its lease of Beverly Hills office space has been settled.

Terms of the settlement were not disclosed, but sources said the agency will pay between $20 million and $30 million.

In 2006, the William Morris Agency signed an agreement with Gotham-based George Comfort to lease space in a building then under construction on North Beverly Drive, with plans to move in by 2009.

But after WMA merged with Endeavor in mid-2009, the deal fell apart. Among the issues was WME’s claim that Comfort violated terms of the agreement by allowing another talent agency, Gersh, to share a parking garage intended for WME.

Comfort filed suit three years ago, and the sides later moved into arbitration. After an initial ruling against the tenpercentery, WME appealed in July. Thursday’s decision is the final word in the case, as the agency will not appeal the ruling.

“The matter has been resolved on a mutually satisfactory basis,” a WME spokesman told Variety.

MGM has occupied the space intended for WME since 2010. Biz observers speculate that the Lion has helped mitigate some of the costs WME could have faced in its settlement.

WME has consolidated the bulk of its staff into what had been Endeavor’s Wilshire Boulevard offices. The agency’s music department remains in one of the old WMA buildings down the street on El Camino Drive. WMA sold its three BevHills buildings in 2008 in preparation for its move, but it continued to lease office space in them.

A rep for George Comfort could not be reached for comment late Thursday.

More Film

  • For web story

    'The Burnt Orange Heresy,' With Mick Jagger and Donald Sutherland, to Close Venice

    “The Burnt Orange Heresy,” starring Mick Jagger as a reclusive art dealer alongside Elizabeth Debicki (“Widows”), Claes Bang (“The Square”) and Donald Sutherland, has been selected as the Venice Film Festival closer.  The English-language art heist movie marks Italian director Giuseppe Capotondi’s first time back at Venice since 2009, when his debut feature film, the [...]

  • A woman prays at a makeshift

    Kyoto Animation Suspect is Too Sick to Arrest

    Police in Kyoto, Japan, have obtained an arrest warrant for Shinji Aoba, the man suspected of killing 33 people last week at the Kyoto Animation studio. However, he currently remains too injured for the warrant to be served. Police said that they believe that the bag with multiple knives and a hammer belong to Aoba. [...]

  • Azania Muendane

    Locations Africa Expo Sends Message in Durban: ‘Africa is Ready’

    DURBAN–The first edition of the Locations Africa Expo and Conference was held this week during the Durban FilmMart, with an eye toward identifying and growing the opportunities to lure incoming productions to the continent. “Locations Africa is trying to service a need on the continent to discuss the physical production…on the ground, highlighting film commissions, [...]

  • The Lion King

    China Box Office: 'Looking Up' Is Surprise Weekend Winner Ahead of 'Lion King'

    Actor and comedian Deng Chao underlined his enduring popularity with mainstream Chinese audiences by delivering a surprise No. 1 box-office hit in “Looking Up” over the weekend. It scored $38.6 million in its opening frame, according to data from consultancy Artisan Gateway, and displaced “The Lion King” from its perch. “Looking Up” is a family [...]

  • Unathi Malonga

    Report Urges South African Media to ‘Step Up’ Against Gender Violence

    DURBAN–In a country with some of the highest rates of sexual and gender-based violence in the world, South African media must step up and play a greater role in the fight against gender inequality and gender-based violence. That was the conclusion of a report, “Gender, Diversity and Gender-based Violence in South African TV,” that was [...]

  • SAG-AFTRA HQ

    SAG-AFTRA Leaders Approve Proposal for New Film-TV Contract

    The SAG-AFTRA national board has approved proposals for a successor deal to its master contract covering feature film and primetime television — a key step in the upcoming negotiations cycle with companies. The board approved the package Saturday with the performers union declining to reveal any specifics — its usual policy. The board established the wages [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content