×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Actress sues ‘Muslims’ producer, YouTube

Participant in video claims fraud, slander

An actress featured in the incendiary video “Innocence of Muslims” has filed suit against the movie’s producer as well as YouTube, seeking to have the video removed as she claims fraud, invasion of privacy, slander and violation of her right of publicity.

Cindy Lee Garcia, who came forward last week to express dismay at the project that triggered protests throughout the Middle East, filed her claim Wednesday in Los Angeles Superior Court. Listed as defendant is Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, also known as Sam Bacile, identified as one of the producers of the film. Google and YouTube are also named as defendants.

Her attorney, M. Cris Armenta, said that she will seek a temporary restraining order against Nakoula and YouTube in Los Angeles Superior Court on Thursday.

Garcia claims that in July 2011, she responded to a casting call in Backstage for a project called “Desert Warrior,” and that Bacile “represented to her that the film was indeed an adventure film and about ancient Egyptians.”

Given pages of the script for “Desert Warrior,” her suit states that “there was no mention of ‘Mohammed’ during the filming or on the set. There were no references made to religion nor was there any sexual content of which Ms. Garcia was aware.”

Her suit also claims that her acting work “has been changed grotesquely to make it appear that Ms. Garcia voluntarily performed in a hateful anti-Islamic production. The film is vile and reprehensible.”

She also claims that the dialogue spoken by her and her castmates was dubbed into Arabic.

After the film set off violence and protests in the Middle East, her suit said that she received death threats.

In addition she said that she requested that YouTube remove the film but YouTube informed her in writing that it declined to remove the content.

Her claim of slander charges that statements were literally “put in her mouth” and that she “never called the founder of Islam a child molester, either on the set of the film or at any other place or time.” In her claim of invasion of privacy, her suit states that the film was made to appear as if “she made outrageously bigoted statements that she never said and does not endorse.”

She is seeking unspecified damages and injunctive relief.

Armenta told Variety that it is “currently unknown” what or if Garcia signed a release contract to appear in the movie, but she said that it would be irrelevant to the claim. “Our view is (we) don’t care how broad it is,” Armenta said, as such a document would have been “induced by fraud.”

More Film

  • Sauvages

    Claude Barras’ ‘Sauvages’ Pitches Potential Partners at Cannes Film Market

    Claude Barras, director of the breakout Academy Award nominated hit “My Life as a Zucchini,” is returning to stop motion animation for his next feature “Sauvages,” a socially conscious tale set in the jungles of Borneo. Producer Rhea Plangg attended this year’s Cannes Film Market to foster negotiations with potential production partners. “Sauvages,” a working [...]

  • Pop Up Film Residency Announces New

    Pop Up Film Residency Announces New Talents, Partners for 2019

    CANNES–The Pop Up Film Residency, a mentorship program launched this year by former TorinoFilmLab artistic director Matthieu Darras and Slovak producer Juraj Krasnohorsky, has announced three new residents, four new hosts, and two new creative partners for 2019. Based in Bratislava, the program offers a three-week residency in Slovakia each month, along with a series [...]

  • 'Super Pets' Release Date Pushed Back

    Film News Roundup: 'Super Pets' Movie Moves Back a Year, Avoiding 'John Wick 4'

    In today’s film news roundup, “Super Pets” has moved back to 2022, “Into the Ashes” gets bought and veteran executive David Gale has a new gig. RELEASE DATE Warner Bros. has pushed back the release of “DC Super Pets” back a year, avoiding opening against “John Wick 4.” The studio announced Wednesday that “Super Pets” [...]

  • Quentin Tarantino

    Quentin Tarantino Documentary 'QT8: The First Eight' Scores Sales (EXCLUSIVE)

    Wood Entertainment has completed sales for France, Germany, Turkey, Italy and Russia for “QT8: The First Eight,” a documentary that chronicles Quentin Tarantino’s first eight films. The first buyers’ screening took place on Sunday at the Cannes Film Festival. Tarantino’s ninth film, “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” premiered at Cannes on Tuesday night. Producer [...]

  • 'Asbury Park' Doc Covers Bruce Springsteen,

    Film Review: 'Asbury Park: Riot, Redemption, Rock 'N Roll'

    A civic Phoenix story is promised and effectively delivered in “Asbury Park: Riot, Redemption, Rock ‘N Roll,” even if there’s little doubt that what much of the audience will be hoping for from this documentary is Bruce, the whole Bruce and nothing but the Bruce. The film satisfies a good portion of that craving with [...]

  • Timothy Olyphant Once Upon a Time

    Timothy Olyphant Explains Why He Did 'Hitman' Movie

    The 2007 film adaptation of the “Hitman” video game franchise is … not good. It received a score of 15% on Rotten Tomatoes, with many critics panning its incoherent plot and terrible dialogue. So, why did actor Timothy Olyphant take on the lead role as Agent 47? He had a mortgage to pay, he told [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content