Poland’s growing success on the international stage is stoking a creative boom with the appearance of strong new production companies and talent.
The country’s internationally renowned director, 86-year-old Andrzej Wajda, continues to collaborate with one of Poland’s leading outfits, Akson Studio.
Directors of note from the younger generation include Lukasz Barczyk, who recently joined Kadr Film Studio as its artistic director. Barczyk is working on a feature with the provisional title “Soyer.”
Kadr is working on “You Are God” by Leszek Dawid, whose 2011 debut, “Ki,” also impressed critics worldwide. The film is based on a story of Polish hip-hop band Paktofonika.
Popular on Variety
Other names and companies worthy of attention:
• Filmpolis, founded by Katowice Film School graduate, Agata Szymanska. Her producer credits include “It Looks Pretty From a Distance” directed by Anka Sasnal and Polish painter Wilhelm Sasnal.
• Federico Film, run by siblings Marta Laryssa Plucinska and Pawel Plucinski.
• MD4 (Mental Disorder 4) set up by Agnieszka Kurzydlo. The company works with Zentropa, whose local division co-produced “Antichrist,” “The Woman Who Dreamt of a Man” and “Elles.”
Talent to watch includes:
• Magda Berus (“Baby Blues,” “Lasting”)
• Julia Kijowska (“In Darkness,” “Love”)
• Joanna Kulig (“Elles,” “The Woman in the Fifth”)
• Mateusz Kosciukiewicz (“Nowhere,” “Shameless”)
Natural partners | Fest pumps product into Cannes pipeline | Walesa biopic a natural fit for Wajda | Players, talent call attention to country’s creative growth spurt |