That’s based on an Associated Press analysis of 2.3 million campaign contributions. But pretty much a glance at the top Democratic contributors to SuperPACs made it clear that Katzenberg was at or near the top. He contributed $2 million at the launch of Priorities USA Action, the pro-Obama SuperPAC run by two former White House aides, in addition to helping to raise more than $500,000.
The top Republican donor isn’t much of a surprise, either. It’s Sheldon Adelson, of Las Vegas Sands Corp.
Here are the top five Democratic contributors to Obama’s reelection, via the AP:
1. Jeffrey Katzenberg, $2.566 million
2. Irwin Jacobs, founder of Qualcomm, $2.122 million
3. Fred Eychaner, founder of Newsweb Corp., $2.066 million (tie)
3. Jon Stryker, Michigan philanthropist, $2.066 million (tie)
5. Steve Mostyn, personal injury attorney, $2.033 million