The sea air in Miami Beach has been good for NATPE.
The TV sales confab is reporting growing attendance numbers (5,000-plus), with more than 600 buyers signed on, and upwards of 250 exhibitors for the January expo, which is entering its second year in Miami after diminishing returns at its Las Vegas edition two years ago prompted it to make a change.
“All the numbers will be significantly better than they were last year,” said Rick Feldman, prexy and CEO of the National Assn. of Television Program Executives.
In a conference call with journos on Tuesday, Feldman said that there had been concerns early on about the turmoil in the global economy affecting the conference, which has a much more international flavor since its move to Miami.
“In 2008, 2009, a lot of the jobs weren’t looking so great, but as we go into 2012 — while it’s hard to be optimistic about the world from an econoimc standpoint — it doesn’t seem to have affected the ad spend or the creation of original video content,” Feldman said, noting that plenty of biz got done at Mipcom earlier this year.
On a nuts-and-bolts note, the exec swore to address the interminable waits for the elevators serving most of the exhibitors’ suites. The group booked half the space in the high-rise that it had last year and has added meeting rooms across the street; it’s also booked a lounge and roped off a section of the bar at the Fontainebleau, where most industryites will be staying.
The NATPE honcho said the confab, which runs Jan. 23-25, is locked in to Miami for 2013, with an option to extend to 2014.