×

Bravo: ‘Housewives’ segs to be re-edited

Cabler's prexy says no decision yet on delay of Sept. 5 premiere

Bravo has begun re-editing “Real Housewives of Beverly Hills,” according to the network’s president, who also indicated the series may stick to its Sept. 5 premiere date.

The network broke its silence Friday via the channel’s president, Frances Berwick, who told Variety, “Contrary to what is being reported, we have not made a decision to change our original premiere date but we are in the process of re-editing the show.”

Since the Aug. 15 suicide of Russell Armstrong, husband to one of the series’ stars, Bravo has stayed quiet beyond a formal statement of condolence amid a frenzy of speculation as to what the net planned to do, if anything. Some critics suggested Bravo should simply shelve the entire season, but the decision to re-edit means the show will continue.

With re-editing already underway, the network could still make a Sept. 5 deadline though a postponement hasn’t been ruled out either. Given Bravo has already marketed that date as the second-season premiere, there’s considerable incentive to be ready by then given the level of attention the controversy has brought to the series.

Berwick declined to specify exactly how “Housewives” is going to change, though it is likely the series will reshape or eliminate the presence of Armstrong over the course of the season. Sources indicate he was filmed for the purposes of appearing this season, which was to make his marital strife with series star Taylor Armstrong a prominent storyline.

It is also possible that the storyline could be marginalized or eliminated from the series, though that could prove a more delicate task considering she was to command a lot more screentime. In the season premiere provided to media weeks before the suicide, Taylor Armstrong alludes to problems she is having with her husband, as well as the possibility of getting couples counseling.

Editing will also likely have to address the disruption to production Armstrong prompted by threatening both his wife’s co-stars and the series’ production company, Evolution Film & Tape, with legal action should mention of his marital problems made air, which Variety confirmed through his lawyer, Ronald Richards. Armstrong later retracted his threat to Evolution.

More TV

  • Doom Patrol -- Ep. 101 --

    'Doom Patrol' Renewed, Season 2 to Stream on DC Universe and HBO Max

    “Doom Patrol” has been renewed for a second season and will soon be available outside of DC Universe. At San Diego Comic-Con, series executive producer Jeremy Carver and star Diane Guerrero announced not only that the show will be back for another season but also that it will be available on HBO Max, the upcoming [...]

  • Teyonah Parris

    Teyonah Parris Cast in 'WandaVision' at Disney Plus

    “Mad Men” and “If Beale Street Could Talk” actress Teyonah Parris has been cast in Disney Plus’ “Wanda Vision” series. She will play an adult version of Monica Rambeau, a child character introduced in the film “Captain Marvel.” The announcement was made at Marvel’s Comic-Con presentation. The forthcoming Disney+ series about Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth [...]

  • Zachary Quinto as Charlie Manx - NOS4A2

    'NOS4A2' Renewed for Season 2 at AMC

    AMC has renewed “NOS4A2” for a second season. The news was announced during the show’s panel at San Diego Comic-Con and ahead of the Season 1 finale. Season 2 will consist of 10 episodes and is slated to air in 2020. The series, which is based on the 2013 Joe Hill novel of the same [...]

  • Gabrielle Carteris

    SAG-AFTRA Signs Netflix Deal With Expanded Coverage

    SAG-AFTRA and streaming giant Netflix have agreed to a new three-year contract with expanded coverage for union performers. Netflix has previously employed SAG-AFTRA members under the union’s standard master contracts for television and film and had been signing on a production by production basis. The union announced Saturday that the new deal recognizes performance capture as covered work [...]

  • Cara Delevingne'Carnival Row' TV show photocall,

    Cara Delevingne Says Her 'Carnival Row' Character Is Pansexual, Explains Defending Taylor Swift Against Justin Bieber

    Cara Delevingne and Orlando Bloom’s love affair may be at the center of the upcoming Amazon Prime Video series “Carnival Row,” but the British actress doesn’t want viewers to assume her faerie character is heterosexual. “I’m a pansexual faerie,” Delevingne told Variety during an exclusive one-on-one interview at Comic-Con adding that there are other queer [...]

  • 'Russian Doll' Star Charlie Barnett Joins

    'Russian Doll' Star Charlie Barnett Joins 'Arrow' Final Season

    “Russian Doll” standout Charlie Barnett is joining the “Arrowverse.” Barnett, who is having a busy year having also appeared in Netflix’s “Tales of the City,” comes on board in the series regular role of John Diggle, Jr., son of David Ramsey’s character. News of his casting was announced at the show’s farewell Comic-Con panel where things [...]

  • THE ORVILLE Fox

    'The Orville' to Move From Fox to Hulu for Season 3

    Seth MacFarlane’s “The Orville” is on the move. MacFarlane announced Saturday at the show’s San Diego Comic-Con panel that Season 3 of the sci-fi series will air exclusively on Hulu rather than on Fox as it has for its first two seasons. According to an individual with knowledge of the situation, MacFarlane’s current workload and [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content