×

Par eyes back-to-back ‘Transformers’ shoots

Hasbro, studio could save millions with continuous shoot

After “Transformers: Dark of the Moon” hauled in more than $1 billion at the global box office, Hasbro is eager to keep its toy-trafficking franchise rolling on the bigscreen — to the degree that plans are being considered to shoot the fourth and fifth installments back-to-back.

Hasbro chief Brian Goldner said during a Monday third-quarter earnings call that the toymaker is in “active discussions” with Paramount, Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg on how to move forward. Sources close to the planning process tell Variety two films could be headed into production.

With tentpole costs pushed by contract negotiations, escalating f/x coin and the need to plan toy designs and merchandise tie-ins more than a year in advance, Paramount, which licenses “Transformers” film rights from Hasbro, is considering lensing its fourth and fifth films without pause. Nothing is set in stone, but screenwriter Ehren Kruger is said to have an idea for the next installments that the studio is high on, and has only begun engaging with writers.

One element that won’t return: Shia LaBeouf, who’s said he’s moving on, giving Paramount the chance to pair a new face with the shape-shiftrorobots. Though one name — Jason Statham — has been bandied about by sources close to the production, no offer has been made.

While Bay will serve as an executive producer alongside Spielberg, sources close to the development said Bay is still interested in directing. Bay has wanted to spend some time on his competitive body-building passion project “Pain and Gain,” which he could conceivably squeeze in before “Transformers” got going in late 2012 or early 2013.

Helmer is also a creative consultant to “Transformers: The Ride — 3D,” a big-budget theme park attraction under construction on the lower lot of Universal Studios Hollywood that opens next spring.

Although Par has never shot sequels back-to-back, the way the second and third “Matrix” and “Pirates of the Caribbean” (and soon U’s “Fast Six” and “Seven”) were produced, the strategy pays off in advance, with cast and crew under contract for both pics.

It would also give Hasbro more time to design new action figures and playsets to fill store shelves. The series has been a massive moneymaker for Hasbro, with the first film in 2007 generating $482 million in “Transformers” toys alone, and more than $600 million around the second, providing a case study on how toymakers can capitalize on film and TV shows based on their popular playthings.

“Dark of the Moon” earned $1.1 billion, putting it in the fourth spot on the all-time box office list.

Hasbro also has film versions of Micronauts, Candyland, Risk, Stretch Armstrong, Clue and Monopoly in development, with several studios eyeing to pick up Ouija, which Universal put into turnaround. U also has “Battleship” out next summer.

The toymaker has no plans to become another Marvel Studios and self-finance its own films; rather, it wants to continue working with its studio partners to lay off the risks of filmmaking, Goldner said.

The “Transformers” news comes as Hasbro reported a 10% rise in third-quarter profits of $171 million, over the same year-ago-frame, fueled by merchandise tied to “Dark of the Moon,” and other boy centric lines like Nerf. Revenue was up 5% to $1.38 billion during the three-month period.

Goldner was optimistic about the upcoming holiday shopping season, when toymakers typically earn 40% of their annual revenue, given that Hasbro has kept its inventory levels lean. Last year, consumers gave toys a cold shoulder during December, forcing retailers to slash prices on piles of product.

Hasbro saw sales from international territories rise 23%, while the U.S. and Canada was down 7%. The “Transformers” films helped sales of toys for boys rise 15% to nearly $535 million, while the girls category fell 4% to $259 million.

Last week, Mattel, the No. 1 toymaker, topped Hasbro’s results, with profits up 6% to nearly $301 million and revenue rising 9% more to $2 billion, thanks to “Cars 2” toys and its Barbie brand.

More Film

  • Apollo 11

    Film News Roundup: 'Apollo 11' Re-Release Set for Moon Landing Anniversary

    In today’s film news roundup, Neon is re-releasing “Apollo 11”; “Sesame Street” gets moved; “Supersize Me 2” is set for Sept. 13; Will Ropp gets a “Silk Road” deal; and Apple makes a movie deal. RE-LAUNCH Neon will re-release Todd Douglas Miller’s documentary “Apollo 11” in theaters on July 20, the 50th anniversary of the [...]

  • Michael B. JordanAFI Awards Luncheon, Los

    Michael B. Jordan's 'Just Mercy' Moves to Awards Season Slot

    Michael B. Jordan’s upcoming legal drama “Just Mercy” has been shifted forward three weeks from Jan. 17 to Dec. 25 for an Oscar-qualifying theatrical release. “Just Mercy” is based on the case of Walter McMillan, an African-American death-row prisoner who was exonerated in 1993 after being convicted five years earlier for a 1986 murder in [...]

  • Harry Styles to Play Prince Eric

    Harry Styles in Talks to Play Prince Eric in Disney's 'Little Mermaid'

    Harry Styles is going under the sea. The former One Direction frontman is in early negotiations to play Prince Eric in Disney’s live-action adaptation of “The Little Mermaid.” Halle Bailey will portray the Ariel, a mermaid princess who dreams of being a human, while Melissa McCarthy is playing her evil aunt Ursula. “The Little Mermaid” [...]

  • Stuber Movie

    Disney Left With a Slate of Film Flops After Fox Deal

    Is Disney having buyer’s remorse? The studio would be forgiven if it were having some regrets after absorbing 20th Century Fox, the company that once generated big box office with the likes of “Avatar,” “Life of Pi,” and “Bohemian Rhapsody.” After “Dark Phoenix” bombed earlier this summer, Kumail Nanjiani and Dave Bautista’s action comedy “Stuber” [...]

  • Taika Waititi Returning to Direct 'Thor

    Taika Waititi to Direct Marvel's 'Thor 4'

    Taika Waititi is returning to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The filmmaker will write and direct the sequel to his 2017 blockbuster “Thor: Ragnarok.” Waititi’s take on the fourth “Thor” movie puts Warner Bros.’ long-in-development “Akira” adaptation on hold indefinitely. However, the studio hopes that “Akira” can get resume production with Waititi at the helm once [...]

  • Akira

    'Akira' Production Put on Hold by Warner Bros.

    Warner Bros. has put its long-in-development “Akira” adaptation on hold indefinitely, sources tell Variety. Sources indicate that after a brief delay, the studio has pulled the plug on production indefinitely for the classic anime adaptation, which was set to begin later this fall. “Thor: Ragnarok” helmer Taika Waititi was on board to direct, and the [...]

  • Sir Elton John, David Furnish. Sir

    New Elton John AIDS Foundation Gala to be Held in the South of France

    Elton John and David Furnish are launching a new gala for the Elton John AIDS Foundation. The two will host the inaugural A Midsummer Party benefit on July 24 in the south of France at the Johnny Pigozzi’s private estate, Villa Dorane, in Cap d’Antibes. A cocktail reception will be followed by dinner, a live [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content