FearNet has scared up Peter Block, the man behind the “Saw” horror franchise, as its new leader.
Block will serve as president and general manager. News comes as FearNet, which has so far existed as a video on-demand and website service, launches as a high-definition linear cable channel Oct. 1.
Block replaces Diane Robina, who had served as president of FearNet while also working as exec VP of programming, production and marketing at TV Guide Network.
Robina will continue working with FearNet until the fall, when she shifts her full attention back to TV Guide net.
FearNet is co-owned by Sony Pictures TV, Lionsgate and Comcast.
“With his varied experience, both as an executive and as a producer on some of the most successful films in the genre, Peter knows how to thrill an audience and is a perfect fit for FearNet,” said Sony Pictures TV networks prexy Andy Kaplan.
Lionsgate co-chairman/CEO Jon Feltheimer pointed out that Block had turned “Saw” into a major franchise for Lionsgate. “He has enormous creativity, and his appointment is a signal to the creative community that FearNet intends to be dominant in the horror/suspense space,” Feltheimer said.
Block, who runs his A Bigger Boat shingle, is working on “Saw VII 3-D” and John Carpenter’s “The Ward,” both of which will be released this fall. A Bigger Boat will continue to operate separate from Block’s involvement at FearNet.
Block was president of acquisitions and co-productions at Lionsgate; before that, he worked at Trimark.