Paula Abdul and Kenny Ortega may be bringing their choreography skills to NBC.
Insiders confirm that the Peacock is interested in a flash mob/dance competition show from “The Biggest Loser” producers 3 Ball Entertainment. 3 Ball, in turn, is in talks to marry the format with Abdul and Ortega.
According to sources familiar with the pitch, network execs were taken to a Burbank restaurant and shown a sizzle reel for the show. But as the tape ended, the eatery they were at suddenly came alive — as patrons, wait staff and chefs dropped what they were doing, got up and conducted a dance routine.
Turns out 3 Ball had rented the restaurant out for the day, and hired dancers to pose as normal folks.
“It was a big spectacle,” said an insider who attended one of the pitch meetings.
Show is more than just about flash mobs, however. Several flash mob pitches have made the rounds in recent years — including one from Abdul herself. The 3 Ball show is expected to have some sort of competitive element, and work its way up through the show to a major spectacle performance (one source compared it to the parade scene in “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off”).
3 Ball and NBC declined comment. 3 Ball’s upcoming credits include “Dad Camp” at VH1 and “Obese” at ABC.
Ortega’s credits include the recent Michael Jackson “This Is It” feature, which came out of the comeback tour that he had been directing. Ortega’s also the mastermind behind Disney’s hot “High School Musical” franchise.
Abdul, meanwhile, has been rumored for just about every unscripted job imaginable in recent months. Abdul and ABC couldn’t come to terms on a deal that would have centered a “Star Search” revival around her. She’s also still said to be a contender for Simon Cowell’s fall 2011 launch of “The X Factor” on Fox.
Entertainment Weekly and TVMoJoe simultaneously first wrote about an Abdul/Ortega project Tuesday.