Discovery Channel has settled its legal disputes with a trio of “Deadliest Catch” captains.
Cabler issued a statement from Sig Hansen and brothers Johnathan and Andy Hillstrand saying that the sides have settled their differences and will go into production on the next season of the reality skein about the risky lives of crab fishermen.
The captains said in their statement: “We’re happy we worked everything out with Discovery. A deal’s a deal. We’re heading up to Dutch Harbor to start filming the new season of ‘Deadliest Catch’ and hopefully it will be the best one yet.”Discovery had filed a $3 million breach of contract suit against the “Deadliest Catch” stars last month, charging that they had failed to fulfill commitments to complete a two-hour special called “Hillstranded.”
The suit had claimed that the Hillstrands failed to show up for pickup shots and final interviews, and producers were told that all contact with them should be through their attorney, Jeff Cohen of Cohen Gardner
Cohen, who represents all three captains, said they had indicated that they were quitting the show. He issued a statement on Sept. 20, shortly after the suit was filed, in which he referred to the death of “Deadliest Catch” colleague Captain Phil Harris, saying, “In light of a tragedy witnessed by Capt. Sig, Capt. John and Capt. Andy this year, why can’t Discovery let these working men move on with their lives?”
The terms of the settlement were not disclosed. The Hillstrands said: “Everyone worked really hard on putting together ‘Hillstranded,’ and we’re looking forward to wrapping that up. It’s something new that we hope people will enjoy.” Cohen said, via email, “I am extremely pleased with our settlement. My clients are excited about the upcoming season.”
(Cynthia Littleton contributed to this report).