×
You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Leno: It’s ‘business’

NBC finalizing details of O'Brien's departure

As Conan O’Brien plotted his final week on “The Tonight Show,” Jay Leno gave his side of NBC’s latenight crisis on Monday, blaming bad ratings — and Peacock execs — for the mess.

“This is all business,” he told the “The Jay Leno Show” audience, according to a transcript released by NBC. “If you don’t get the ratings, they take you off the air.”

Meanwhile, O’Brien’s lawyers continued to finalize his exit from NBC. An announcement had been expected for Monday afternoon, but both sides wanted to make sure every outstanding item was addressed before going public.

Before hosting Monday night’s “Tonight Show,” O’Brien took time out to greet fans who gathered on Lankershim Boulevard outside the Universal Studios entrance, braving a massive downpour to show support for the host.

Hundreds crowded outside Universal Studios’ Gate 2 to rally for O’Brien, who sent “Tonight Show” staffers out with boxes of pizza in response.

Sidekick Andy Richter spoke to the crowd from the top of the “Tonight Show” building, while Max Weinberg 7 bandmate Richie “La Bamba” Rosenberg rode around the event in a “popemobile”-style vehicle.

“I’m With CoCo” rallies also took place in other cities, including New York and Chicago.

As for his comments on “The Jay Leno Show,” Leno said he went along with NBC’s original backup plan — a half-hour show at 11:35 p.m. — but wasn’t happy with moving to a downsized 30-minute structure. He said he agreed to do it, however, because the primetime strip was a flop. Leno said he then asked NBC execs whether they thought O’Brien would sign off on the plan. Their response? “Yes, yes. Almost guarantee you.”

When O’Brien balked, Leno said he would agree to take back “The Tonight Show.”

“It looks like we might be back at 11:30. I’m not sure; I don’t know,” Leno told his audience, even as the Peacock is poised to soon announce Leno’s return to the “Tonight Show.”

For Leno, of course, the move is actually something he was eager to accept — and also repped a sort of vindication at NBC.

The host didn’t dwell on his dissatisfaction about moving out of the 11:35 p.m. slot but did characterize the “Tonight Show” transition plan, hatched in 2004, as something that was forced upon him.

Leno recounted in detail how NBC execs first told him that they planned to pass “The Tonight Show” on to O’Brien in 2004.

“I said, ‘I’ve been No. 1 for 12 years.’ They said, ‘We know that, but we don’t think you can sustain that,'” Leno said. “I said, ‘OK, how about I fall to No. 2, then you fire me?’ ‘No, we made this decision.’

“I said, ‘I’ll retire just to avoid what happened last time’ ” — a reference to the friendship-ending drama that unfolded in 1991-92 when he and Letterman were in competition to succeed Johnny Carson.

Instead, the host said he ultimately agreed to the 10 p.m. slot after being told that focus groups liked the idea of Leno in primetime and that he could keep his staff of 175.

Leno said he was also guaranteed two years on the air at 10.

“Now, for the first four or five months against original shows like ‘CSI,’ you’ll get killed,” he remembered execs briefing him. “But in the spring and summer when reruns come, that’s when you’ll pick up.”

The host said he held “no animosity” toward O’Brien, who has directed several quips at Leno over the past week on “The Tonight Show.”

“The great hope was that we would help him,” Leno said. “Well, we didn’t help him any.”

Over at Universal City, the Monday “Team Conan” rally appeared to lift the spirits of “Tonight Show” staffers, most of whom are still dizzy from the sudden turn of events.

“This whole thing is crazy,” wrote “Tonight Show” inhouse blogger Aaron Bleyaert on Friday. “And the weirdest part is that it’s all happening so fast. When did this start? Like two weeks ago? Good Lord. I keep having dreams where my house is burning down.”

More TV

  • Songs for Screens Powered by Mac

    Songs for Screens: Beyond 'Bohemian Rhapsody,' 2018 Was a Record Sync Year for Queen

    As “Bohemian Rhapsody” approaches a landmark $800 million at the global box office, another Queen milestone quietly took place in 2018. With appearances in nationwide campaigns for Amazon, Ram Trucks, Google, Peloton, Silk Almondmilk and many more, Queen’s music was licensed by more blue-chip brands than any other calendar year. And in the first few [...]

  • NHL 2017 Stanley Cup Final -

    NBC Sports Is Latest to Team Up With a Working Athlete

    P.K. Subban is best known for his work on the ice on behalf of the Nashville Predators. But if NBC Sports and the National Hockey League defenseman have their way, he might gain some notoriety for his performance on solid ground. NBC Sports this evening will launch “The P.K. Project,” a multi-episode digital series featuring [...]

  • Fernando Leon de Aranoa In Talks

    NATPE: Spain’s Fernando Leon de Aranoa in Talks to Helm Joaquin Sabina Series (EXCLUSIVE)

    Award-winning Spanish writer-director Fernando Leon de Aranoa (“Mondays in the Sun,” “Barrio”) is in talks to direct a bio-series about celebrated Spanish artist Joaquin Sabina. Endemol Shine Boomdog, BTF Media and Sony Music Spain will jointly produce the scripted series as well as a documentary on Sabina, the latter with Leon de Aranoa’s Reposado Prods. [...]

  • Hulu With Live TV Full Channel

    Hulu Hikes Price of Live-TV Bundle to $45 Monthly, Drops VOD Plan With Ads to $6

    Hulu wants to drive more customers to its ad-supported streaming package — lowering the official price from $7.99 to $5.99 per month — while it’s trying to turn a profit on the live-TV bundle with a price hike. Starting next month, Hulu With Live TV will increase by $5 per month, rising from $39.99 to [...]

  • YouTube TV

    YouTube TV Expanding to Cover Entire U.S., No International Launch Plans Right Now

    Soon, virtually anyone in the U.S. will be able to subscribe to YouTube TV, Google’s $40 monthly over-the-top internet television service aimed at cord-cutters. First launched in five cities in April 2016, YouTube TV has been available in the top 100 markets in the U.S., covering around 85% of households, for about a year. Starting [...]

  • NATPE: Turner Latin America, Dopamine Set

    NATPE: Turner Latin America, Dopamine Strike Three-Series Production Alliance (EXCLUSIVE)

    MIAMI — Turner Latin America and Mexico’s Dopamine, a Salinas Group company, have struck a production alliance to develop and produce three original series: “Tu parte del trato,” “Amarres” and “Coyatl.” The pact adds to the NATPE announcement on Monday of “Las Bravas F.C,” the first series in Turner Latin America’s five-year strategic production partnership [...]

  • Pol-ka at 25: Interview with Founder

    Pol-ka at 25: Adrian Suar Sets New Era Agenda

    MIAMI — Boldly taking on the challenges of TV’s future as it turns 25, Argentina’s Pol-ka Producciones, one of Latin America’s few historic independent TV companies, is turning to the past. Shooting from Jan. 2, but set in Buenos Aires from 1936 to 1945, “Argentina, Land of Passion and Revenge,” (“Argentina, Tierra de Amor y [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content