×

Colin Farrell offered ‘Total Recall’

Sony reboot reimagines Arnold Schwarzenegger hit

Sony has offered Colin Farrell the lead role in Columbia Pictures’ “Total Recall” remake.

Farrell received the offer last week and has since been in negotiations with Sony. He would play a man tortured by recurring dreams of a trip to Mars. Role was played by Arnold Schwarzenegger in the original 1990 pic.

Tom Hardy and Michael Fassbender were also considered for the role.

The “Total Recall” reboot, to be directed by Len Wiseman from a script by Kurt Wimmer, will update author Philip K. Dick’s source story, “We Can Remember It for You Wholesale.” Farrell’s casting would offer a stark contrast to Schwarzenegger’s persona.

Col secured the rights to the sci-fi pic from Miramax.

Neal H. Moritz developed and will produce the project via his Original Films banner; Toby Jaffe will oversee on behalf of Original.

Farrell can next be seen in Peter Weir’s “The Way Back” for Newmarket Films and Wrekin Hill Entertainment. It’s set for release Jan. 21.

Popular on Variety

More Film

  • Parasite

    Korea Unveils Measures to Help Coronavirus-Hit Film Industry

    The South Korean government has unveiled a package of measures to help the local film industry, which is currently reeling from the impact of the coronavirus outbreak. Chief among the measures is the decision to exempt multiplex chains from having to contribute to the country’s movie development fund. This normally operates as a mandatory contribution [...]

  • 'Blue Story' Review: A British Invasion

    'Blue Story': Film Review

    The blockbusters will be postponed, the indie films in many cases will head straight to streaming. But even before the apple cart of movie distribution got tipped over, “Blue Story” had traced an unlikely path. , it was written and directed by Andrew Onwubolu, the London-based rapper, producer, actor, and director who bills himself as [...]

  • Battle of Jangsari

    Megan Fox’s ‘Battle of Jangsari’ Inks Multiple Sales Deals

    Korean-made war film “Battle of Jangsari,” which features Megan Fox in a key role as a front line reporter, is set to play in multiple European and Asian territories. The film already had a deal with WellGo USA for North America. Seoul-based sales agent, Finecut said that it had additionally licensed the film to Pandastorm [...]

  • Doc Edge 2019 Forum

    New Zealand’s Doc Edge Festival To Shift Online

    Doc Edge, New Zealand’s annual factual film festival, will this year become an online-only event. Instead of cancelling due to the disruptions to production and travel caused by the coronavirus outbreak, the festival will move all screenings and events into the virtual space. The virtual festival is scheduled to run between May 28 and June [...]

  • SAG-AFTRA HQ

    SAG-AFTRA Health Plan Cuts Premiums by 50% Due to Coronavirus Crisis

    The SAG-AFTRA Health Plan has cut 50% from the cost of premiums for the second quarter in response to the coronavirus crisis. SAG-AFTRA members were notified of the reduction on Wednesday via a message from SAG-AFTRA president Gabrielle Carteris and national executive director David White. They said the cuts would cover participants who had been [...]

  • Dolly Parton at the Grand Ole

    Film News Roundup: Dolly Parton Donates $1 Million for Research on Coronavirus Cure

    In today’s film news roundup, Dolly Parton makes a donation for coronavirus cure, Howie Mandel and Ashlee Simpson join the voice cast of “Pierre The Pigeon-Hawk” and American Documentary launches an artists emergency fund. RESEARCH DONATION Dolly Parton has donated $1 million to Nashville’s Vanderbilt Hospital to help aid research to find a cure for [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content