Angelina Jolie’s plans to shoot part of her debut as a director in Bosnia are back on target after the suspension of a filming permit was revoked on Monday.
Permission was pulled on Wednesday amid mounting local concerns about the storyline, a romance between a Serb soldier and Bosnian Muslim woman set against the backdrop of the region’s bloody civil war.
Local producer Edin Sarkic of Scout Film said that culture minister Gavrilo Grahovic had been given a copy of the script, written by Jolie, to reassure him and he had reinstated the permit.
Sarajevo, the Bosnian capital, endured a brutal three-year siege by Serb forces between 1992 and 1995, in which 100,000 people died.
Women who were raped and persecuted during that time have since formed the Assn. of Women Victims of War, one of the country’s most powerful lobbies.
Its fear that the film would touch on still raw wounds was among the reasons Grahovic suspended the permit.
Org’s leader Bakira Hasecic said she had been trying to meet Jolie since August, when she first heard the rumors about the film’s plot.
“We expect to meet with her now finally and we hope she will convince us that what we were suspecting and what we were afraid of is not true,” Hasecic said.
Jolie is currently filming the as-yet-unnamed pic in Hungary. Shooting is due to move to Sarajevo next month.
On Friday Jolie said in a statement that it would be a shame if “unfair pressure based on wrong information” nixed her Bosnia shoot.
“My hope is that people will hold judgment until they have seen the film,” Jolie said.
Jolie is producing the pic with GK Films’ Graham King and King’s business partner, Tim Headington.
(AP contributed to this report)