Production on A&E reality skein “Steven Seagal: Lawman” has been halted in the wake of a sex trafficking lawsuit filed against Seagal.
Newell Normand, the sheriff of Jefferson Parish in Louisiana, pulled the plug on the show Wednesday after word surfaced about the lawsuit filed in Los Angeles by a former assistant of the actor, Kayden Nguyen. Although Seagal’s camp has strongly denied the sexual allegations in the suit, Normand said at a news conference Wednesday that the show’s production staff had been told to leave the sheriff’s offices.
“Lawman” followed Seagal’s work as a deputy reserve sheriff in the parish, a status he has held for more than 20 years. The show had been in production on its second season but a premiere date had not yet been set. The first season of “Lawman” bowed in December and delivered respectable ratings for the cabler.
“We are aware of Sheriff Normand’s decision to halt production on ‘Steven Seagal Lawman’ at this time and we have no further comment,” A&E said in a statement.
A recorded message on the public information officer’s line at the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office referred inquiries on the matter to Seagal’s email address.