×

Proposed voting boycott riles SAG

Anonymous email singles out eight actors

The Screen Actors Guild’s battle over its strike authorization has taken an especially nasty turn, thanks to a suggested boycott of eight actors who are up for SAG awards.

The proposed boycott came to light after a significant number of SAG members received a pair of anonymous emails forwarded by national board member Frances Fisher. The two emails proposed that the SAG members withhold their award votes for the eight thesps because of their public support for the opposition to the authorization vote.

Nearly 2,000 SAG members — including George Clooney and Tom Hanks — have declared that they oppose the authorization due to the nation’s current financial crisis.

In her email, Fisher said the letters were forwards and asked that her name and email be removed if the recipient chose to forward the letters. In a response issued Friday, former SAG president and current board member Richard Masur compared the anonymous email to a blacklist and called on Fisher to repudiate it.

The anonymous email singled out Josh Brolin (who was nominated for “Milk”), Kevin Spacey (“Recount”), Susan Sarandon (“Bernard & Doris”), Michael C. Hall (“Dexter”), Sally Field (“Brothers and Sisters”), Alec Baldwin (“30 Rock”), Steve Carell (“The Office”) and Tony Shalhoub (“Monk”).

“If I were a regular, ordinary, not-rich-and-famous actor, and if I wanted my union to be strong so it could fight for me … would I want to give any of these rich-and-famous UNION-UNDERMINERS my vote?” one of the anonymous emails said. “Would I want my union to give them such an honor — MY UNION’s ultimate stamp-of-approval? I would remember those names when I began to mark my ballot.”

In his response, Masur said that there has never previously been an attempt to politicize the SAG Awards over its 15-year history.

“These awards were conceived of as an opportunity for actors to be honored by their peers,” he added. “The sole criterion for the awarding of these honors has been artistic achievement. That must continue to be the case. The SAG Awards have meant a great deal to the members, the Guild and the SAG Foundation, as well as all the honorees. It would be a shame if this worthy process were to be sullied by this political manipulation.”

Masur said Fisher should send out a message to everyone to whom she sent the email with an apology and a condemnation. “That would go a long way toward repairing he perception that she meant to support and encourage this kind of outrageous blacklisting,” he added.

Fisher was not immediately available for comment. But SAG’s awards committee issued a statement condemning the anonymous email.

“The Screen Actors Guild Awards has always been and will always remain non-political,” the panel said. “It is unfortunate that a few people have chosen to attempt to politicize our annual salute to excellence in our profession. We know actors value outstanding performances and cherish their yearly opportunity to commend the good work of their peers above all else. We look forward to celebrating the achievements of our nominees on January 25th.”

The controversy comes with the guild’s emergency national board meeting set for Monday and Tuesday to determine the fate of the proposed referendum. The SAG Awards will be held on Jan. 25.

SAG leaders have insisted that the authorization will give the guild more leverage in its long-stalled film and TV contract negotiations with Hollywood’s majors. The vote had been set to be sent out Jan. 2 but after protests from SAG’s New York board and other branches, SAG prexy Alan Rosenberg delayed the start of the three-week referendum process and skedded the board meeting to address the dissent and the call from the New York board for the negotiating committee to be replaced.

Supporters of the authorization have asserted repeatedly that the new-media terms of the congloms’ final offer will lead to the eventual elimination of residuals — a contention that’s widely derided by the companies, noting that the DGA, WGA, AFTRA and IATSE have agreed to similar terms. SAG’s web site currently lists 3,800 members who support the authorization including Mel Gibson, Holly Hunter and Martin Sheen.

More Film

  • CGV's Massive Imax Screen Order Shows

    CGV's Massive Imax Screen Order Shows Optimism for Chinese Exhibition

    Korean cinema giant CGV has signed a deal with Imax to install a further 40 giant screens in movie theaters in China. The deal suggests that China’s multiplex building boom still has some way to run, and that at least one Korean company is still willing to invest in China, despite China’s currently boycott of [...]

  • BAFTA headquarters at 195 Piccadilly, London

    BAFTA Undertakes Major Renovation of Its London Headquarters

    BAFTA has undertaken a major renovation of its London headquarters that will double the building’s capacity and increase space devoted to the British academy’s programs to promote skills training and new talent. Work has already begun on the $31 million overhaul, which is expected to take two years. In the interim, BAFTA will relocate its [...]

  • Andhadhun

    Booming Digital Lifts Eros Indian Film Distribution Giant

    Eros International, India’s largest and most controversial film distributor, says that its digital revenues now outstrip conventional theatrical and syndication revenues. Its Eros Now streaming platform claims 18.8 million paying subscribers. The New York-listed company reported annual results that were distorted by multiple adjustments to presentation. Reported revenues in the year to end of March [...]

  • The Eight Hundred (The 800)

    Second Huayi Brothers Film Is Canceled as Company's Losses Mount

    Still reeling from the cancellation of the theatrical release of its blockbuster “The Eight Hundred,” production studio Huayi Brothers has been hit with another setback: Its comedy “The Last Wish” has also been quietly pulled from China’s summer lineup. Both films have fallen afoul of China’s increasingly heavy-handed censors. The unwelcome development comes as Huayi [...]

  • Sean AstinCritics' Choice Awards, Arrivals, Los

    Film News Roundup: Sean Astin Cast in 'Mayfields Game,' 'Charming the Hearts of Men'

    In today’s film news roundup, Sean Astin gets two roles, two “Peanuts” movies are set for release, “One Last Night” gets distribution and Brian De Palma gets honored. CASTINGS Sean Astin has been cast in a pair of upcoming feature films: “Mayfield’s Game” opposite Mira Sorvino and “Charming The Hearts of Men” opposite Kelsey Grammer. Astin [...]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content